Living and riding in the SLC area.- Mtbr.com
    Yay! Bikes !

New question here. Living and riding in the SLC area.

I have come across a possible job opportunity in the SLC area and would like to get some general input from people as to what it is like living in this part of Utah.

I know there is a lot of fantastic riding to be had all over Utah, that is why I'm considering this position. But as hard as it might be to say, riding isn't everything. I currently live in Chicago which has SO much to offer in the way of culture, entertainment, diversity, nightlife, etc.

A little background on me; I am not religious, I am not married, I like diversity in people, and I do like to drink. I love restaurants, bars, nightlife etc., and I feel some of these things might be lacking or non-existant based on my preconceptions of Utah in general. I obviously love to bike whenever/as much as possible, but also enjoy snowmobiling during the Winter. As far as riding goes I'll take it all, but lean more towards the technical or freeride side of things.

So ... what is it like in your city/town?
    If you moved to Utah from somewhere else yourself, where did you come from and what can you share based on your own experiences so far?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I can't speak for SLC itself - I'm 90 miles north. I have heard of people moving out of SLC because there just wasn't "enough" for them. Since you're in Chicago, you might find SLC kind of small. (BTW, my sister lives in Chicago too.)

I moved out here in 1999 after graduating from IU in Bloomington, Indiana. As a single 23 year old used to bars and music and debauchery, I was a bit taken a back with Utah at first. But mind you I was dropped in Duchesne, Utah (pop. 1500?). Now I'm in a bigger town about 50,000 people. There's even a unversity here which helps pull in events.

Let me tell you it was the best move of my life. I don't really go "out" like a college student, I drink at home, friends come over, my town has 3 public bars. Going into the mountains kind of replaced my want of going out. But the mountains offer so much in addition to biking. Skiing, camping, backpacking, fishing, canoeing, rock climbing, snowmobiling! And the vincinity to the desert down south, Idaho's mountains, Wyoming's mountains is just a 1/2 day's drive. I think northern Utah is a great locale for many weekend trips to surrounding states.

But SLC definitely does has bars, music, clubs, restuarants you are looking for. Your preconceptions might explain the rest of Utah (away from the Wasatch front)! I just don't know if it will be enough for you. Maybe someone else has another experience to share. Maybe someone who goes out more/to SLC.

But I just thought I'd share my side.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick.
    I have come across a possible job opportunity in the SLC area and would like to get some general input from people as to what it is like living in this part of Utah.

I know there is a lot of fantastic riding to be had all over Utah, that is why I'm considering this position. But as hard as it might be to say, riding isn't everything. I currently live in Chicago which has SO much to offer in the way of culture, entertainment, diversity, nightlife, etc.

A little background on me; I am not religious, I am not married, I like diversity in people, and I do like to drink. I love restaurants, bars, nightlife etc., and I feel some of these things might be lacking or non-existant based on my preconceptions of Utah in general. I obviously love to bike whenever/as much as possible, but also enjoy snowmobiling during the Winter. As far as riding goes I'll take it all, but lean more towards the technical or freeride side of things.

So ... what is it like in your city/town?
    If you moved to Utah from somewhere else yourself, where did you come from and what can you share based on your own experiences so far?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Shannon-UT; 03-07-2005 at 01:32 PM.

I Just Ride....

Welcome to Utah....

I am a native to the SLC area, but am not "your average Utahan"
    What you here about here, is only so true. The SLC area is by far the most liberal part of the state. Most of my riding buddies are transplants and are not "your average Utahans".
    There is a lot of great riding here that will suit your needs.

As far as off bike things. Yes it is very possible to get a drink here.
    If it is just beer that you want, that is easy, there are three in the SLC area and many others in the out laying areas, Ogden, Park City, Moab, etc..
    If you want a hard liquor drink, you will have to go to a " private club", which isn't that big of a deal. You can even go without being a member. But if you find a place that you like, you'd better off joining.
    As far as riding goes, depending on where you live, you can find rides that leave from your door, the area on the bench area, especially areas like Mill Creek Canyon.
    But there are great rides that are 30 minutes or so from home. There is also Deer Valley, which is a great place to do the lift served thing.

Utah and SLC is not this cultural wasteland that it is precieved to be. Suffice to say SLC isn't Chicago , but Chicago isn't SLC either..

I hope that this helps. Feel free to email me if you'd like.
    Good Luck with the job!
    Brian
    Artistic Mountain Bike Photography
    My MTBR Gallery
    "I Ride my bike, to Ride my bike...."
    From a Zen proverb

Mar 2004

Test ride...

a bike before making plunking down your hard-earned money.

For similar reasons, I suggest you spend some time in the salty city - if it's possible - before committing to your move.

I was born in South Korea, grew up in California, spent time (six months or more) in Georgia and Arizona. I have also visited Nevada, Oregon, Kentucky, and various parts of Colorado.

This is just a round-about way of saying, I've come across a fairly diverse group of people.

Bottom line? I plan on living in Boulder, Co by 2007. It is hands down, the most open-minded, athletic, and hip town I have visited. Bike lanes everywhere. I actually had redneck-types in Ford F150s give me the right of way when I was bike touring the town.

It's close to a major city - Denver.

It has access to more adventure-oriented rock climbs - Longs Peak and Eldorado (hey - I've done the gymnastic-type 5.14 stuff; I don't need to chase numbers so much as I need to feed my soul).

It has some of the best endurance athletes in America (this just raises the overall energy, in my opinion).

It has some of the most beautiful women I've ever seen (Utah also has some very lovely women - but I think they all look very similar...and NO I do not have trouble in that dept).

Oh yeah...the state of Colorado has trails that are as good or better than Utah. (I visited Durango last summer and I just got back from Fruita...I saw it first hand)

No doubt I'll catch a busload of crap for that last comment. However, I encourage you to research on your own and I strongly feel the objective among you will agree.

Why wait two years? My current employment came with a sweet sweet stock option plan that doesn't vest for another year. After that, I will have to wait an additional year in order to minimize the captial gains tax hit. The two years will also give me a chance to sharpen my stock trading skills - which will let me become self-employed (no - not that idiotic day trading or those sucker programs you see on late-night tv).

Forgive the pro-Boulder comments; however, I included it to illustrate the three types of people living in Salt Lake:

1) those who genuinely enjoy being in Utah - and it is a great and unique place.

2) those who are stuck here but need to rationalize the fact that they are not happy - hence the maudlin "I love Utah" mantra. (If any of those folks are thinking of baiting me into a message-board fight, don't bother; I won't dignify your comments with a response.)

3) those who have written a chapter or two of their lives and are not afraid to say that it's time to move on.

If at all possible, take out Salt Lake City for a test ride before you buy.

Peace.

Yay! Bikes !
    Thank you for your input everyone, I do appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

CO to UT Transplant

I live in Park City, if I did not live in Park City I would live in Colorado. Besides Moab, I have not seen a place that I would want to live in UT.

If you are happy biking, hiking, skiing, etc, Utah has it all, and its close and easy to get to. If your looking to go out on a Saturday night, I hope you have some connections here because its small, a very small group of like minded individuals that you would feel comfortable with. No-where near the scene that I have enjoyed a few times on my trips to Chicago. We don't even have a major league baseball team for the love of G.

Everything you have heard has got some some truth to it. Its weird here, very weird.

On the other hand the cost of living is cheap, the mountains are awesome and the locals for the most part are too redneck to enjoy the mountains the way they could so there is plenty of room for everybody. 90% of the state is busy on Sundays so the trails are wide open.

I'm glad I met my wife before moving here, nuff said?

As to the nice woman who moved here and first to Dushenne, if she could live in Dushenne, she could live anywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BobParkCity
    On the other hand the cost of living is cheap, the mountains are awesome and the locals for the most part are too redneck to enjoy the mountains the way they could so there is plenty of room for everybody. 90% of the state is busy on Sundays so the trails are wide open.

As to the nice woman who moved here and first to Dushenne, if she could live in Dushenne, she could live anywhere.
    Bob is on about the low cost of living. The trails are pretty vacant on Sundays. I've heard in other major cities in the surrounding states, you're bumper to bumper in traffic up the canyons because everyone goes out on the weekends.

Duchesne was a tough 6 months, let me tell you! However it holds a special place in my heart. I met my husband the day I arrived there. He was also a transplant, from NJ.

You should have seen where they originally put me - Hanna, UT in the Tabiona Valley before Wolf Creek Pass was even paved.

This is a popular topic here on the Utah board. Check out some of the threads below.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Slc

I've spent my fair share of days in SLC, as my wife was born there and her family still lives there. Is it a cultural waste land? No, but it ain't a big city either. Hell a good riding both mountain and road. Lots of other activities too (a nice zoo, theaters, etc.). Drinking, Bert's Tiki Lounge is the best dive bar I've ever been to. Who would have thought SLC would be the place. I've seen Social D, String Cheese, all kinds of music there, and a good skate boarding scene.

It isn't a bad place and if you love the outdoors there isn't any place better.

Homer's problem child

I too am moving to the SLC area.

I am moving from Aspen, CO to the SLC area for a new job in the same industry I am in (aerospace and composites). Any information on the good and the bad parts of living there would be greatly appreciated. I am nervous about the Mormon and conservative image SLC has as I am a liberal free thinkin boozin party dude. I am a bit over the bar scene and more into biking and snowboarding, but I do like to go to concerts and party when the right opportunity presents itself.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have been debating with myself whether or not I have anything to add to this topic. And I guess if nothing else, I offer another perspetive.

My wife and I grew up in SLC, and now live in San Antonio, TX. I have traveled a lot for my job, and been to many different cities. I find myself in a position with my job where I can live pretty much anywhere I can get high speed Internet access and so we are moving back to SLC this summer.

The culture is odd - but kind of funny, the politics are conservative - not so funny, but for us it's a decision that mostly about family but also about outdoor recreation, acess to public land and low freakin humidity! I find SLC to be a more diverse place in some ways than Texas for sure, and other cities that I have been to. There is a good symphony and ballet, and always good rock and alernative acts coming to town. There is plenty of public golf on good coursese that are totally reasonable (if your into that) I think overall the number of "faithful" in the valley is probably less than 50% - still a lot, maybe 35%? Just like anything else there are sub-cultures within a culture and some people are cool, and some aren't.

Compared to Aspen (I have not been there) SLC will certainly feel more like a city - there is a lot of sprawl, there are gangs and drugs and crime - areas that aren't smart to be in at any time of the day.

With every place there are good and bad aspects it really just depends on what is most important to you.

I'll revive this thread when I get back and we can hook up for a ride, some home brew and BBQ, Texas style!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

My advice

All of the friends that I have live in the same general part of Salt Lake, I would concentrate my housing search around Sugarhouse Park. My bro in law and his wife found plenty of like minded folk near their house close to 15th and 15th. Besides being one of the more diverse neighborhoods, its close to a lot of the activities going on in the city.

The stats that I have heard are the actual city is about 50/50, the suburbs of SLC are more 75-80%, and the rest of the state closer to 90%. It isn't getting that diversified that quick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Lies, damn lies, and statitics

I would agree with sugarhouse, and add the Avenues and the general U of U area.

I didn't mean diverse in the sense of ethnic and religious diversity, because even if the number is 35% of card carrying, BOM thumping, church goers - it's still a lot. And the numbers of caucasion to "everyone else" is still high, there is no way tp spin that - it is what it is. If the number come from the LDS church then they include people, who don't consider themselves LDS but just haven't "gotten off the list"

I meant diversity in the area of arts and entertainment. Not on the same playing field as New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston but few places are.

I can live anywhere I want, and I think a little oddity is a small price to pay for world class Outdoor sports and recreation.

Homer's problem child
    Groovy!
    Thanks for the info. You all wouldn't happen to know of anything for rent in the areas you specified would you? I plan on buying something down the road if I like my job and the area but I'll be renting for atleast 6 months.

Thanks TnTaylor, I might call on you for that TX BBQ, some of my good friends have a band and live in Austin (everyone has a band in Austin) and I go down to TX for big shows like SXSW to party and gorge myself on BBQ several times a year.

BobParkCity, thanks as well. I have heard a lot about The Avenues but can't find much on it online. Got any connections? CO is cool but expensive and only getting more so. I grew up in CO and have been here my entire life. I go to UT several times a year for powder, we get decent snow here, but nothing like UT, you guys have 10"+ powder days all the time, we are lucky to get one a month.

I'll post more when I get there. Should be starting my new job in May.

Keep the info comin if you have something to add.

Aspen is great, uncrowded, 4 mountains (but only Snowmass and Highlands are really good, Ajax/Aspen is ok and Buttermilk is just huge x-games booters and beginner stuff), the biking is good but a bit under-developed, good XC and trail rides but not super great for DH and freeridin, Snowmass has a good DH course but only runs the upper part for NORBA so you have to push your rig up to the top the rest of the time, good XC trails in Glenwood Springs and Fruita is only and hour away, but overall the valley is just too rich for my blood (and I have a great paying job) and really clicky in terms of finding people to hang with, that and I DON'T have a 5 gram a day blow habbit so that limits who I can hang out with. And since Hunter S. Thompson just blew his brains out the stuffy rich folks are firmly in control once again.

Over and out,
    B

"Anyone can make up statistics, 14% of all people know that." Homer Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bortis Yelltzen
    BobParkCity, thanks as well. I have heard a lot about The Avenues but can't find much on it online.

I found a few possibilities looking at the classified section on sltrib.com. Good luck.

Hill crawler

Moving to SLC

My wife has a full-time job in SLC. We live in Tahoe. I head over there from time to time for skiing, but not biking yet. She commutes and tele-commutes. I was offered a job in SLC and declined. Why ? My wife adamantly refuses to move there and, by implication, so do I. Now I realize that women can be a little more emotional about these things but she "hates" the attitude of folks there, the lack of diversity, the religious attitude. Some specific issues ...
    • 3.4% beer - one waiter was insulted when I asked him if the beer was 3/4 'cause it tasted watery. He didn't think anyone could tell, and he wasn't kidding
    • Can't swear, or if you do you risk getting fired.
    • The roads are super wide. The driving super bad. Watch for pedestrians walking with flags. Or not, they're expendable.
    • While there's culture there much of it is sponsored by the Mormons who seem to want to convert anything that breathes (maybe I'm overreacting though),
    • The SLC Opera are doing 2 productions this year compared to 9 at SF. Hell even the Nevada Opera do 2 productions and attending is a really laid-back experience.
    • The SLC-ites don't seem to ski, or bike, or ... They just seem to breed, and take their kids to restaurants. Gross generalization I know.
    • When we were considering moving we looked at the Avenues for what it's worth.
    • Park City is called "Sin City" and has a lot more life than SLC but is much more expensive. And has been trashed by overdevelopment. At least the tourist are normal though.

Just some stream-of-conciousness thoughts. My wife flies back today for some well-deserved R&R from the ravages of SLC.

Only Democrat in Utah
    Feb 2004
    I moved to SLC three years ago. I was single at the time and the SLC office in my company had an opening so I transferred from Washington DC. Big change.

So here are my impressions:

Places to live:
    If you're single and you like to do what most single people like to do: meet other singles, the best places to live are the Avenues, the Sugarhouse Area, or around the UofU. Be careful in the Avenues though. It's a very mixed crowd. The higher you go up the Avenues, the better, although the prices climb as well. I lived in Park Capitol apartments when I moved here. The rent was reasonable, and I was 5 biking minutes from the nearest trailhead. Can't really beat that.

Biking:
    When you move, plug into the biking community asap. There are plenty of group rides, both mountain and road. You're moving here at a great time, just when the trails start to open. The best shop for mountain riding is Revolution in Sandy. Great people there. Talk to Ryan or Matt. For road riding, Contender sponsors several teams. If you want, I can put you in touch with them. Just send me an email.

People:
    I had a hard time at first getting to meet people. I'm not LDS nor have any desire to be, although I respect anyone's religious beliefs. I didn't want to date an LDS girl, so that limited the dating pool. I met my current wife at work (she was a temp). There are opportunities to meet people. The biking community is definitely a good place.

Beer:
    Sucks. Horrible. Pack several cases in your moving van. Seriously. Unless you want to pay double for the real stuff at the State Wine Store. Ugh.
    Flying by the seat of my pants.

I Just Ride....

In Defense of "Utah Beers"....

Quote Originally Posted by SilkTiSamurai
    Beer:
    Sucks. Horrible. Pack several cases in your moving van. Seriously. Unless you want to pay double for the real stuff at the State Wine Store. Ugh.
    I for one like "Utah Beers".
    From the Kings Peak Porter, from Uintah Brewing, to the Full Suspension Pale Ale, from Squatter's and the beers at Rooster's in Ogden and from Eddie McStiff's in Moab.
    Who cares about alcohol content? It's the taste that matters!
    And these and the beers that are made here in the "Land Of Zion" alll taste great!
    Brian
    I Like Beer! Even if it is made in Utah...
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

I Just Ride....

Very Gross Genarlizations....

Those are some VERY GROSS generalizations...
    Especially the one about no skiing or BIKING along with the last part of that statement.
    I am a "native gentile" and I bike.
    I enjoy the opera here and think it is a good compnay. If you read the paper, the SL Tribune, you'd see that the Utah Opera and Symphony are having financial dificulties, like a lot of symphony and opera companies across the country.
    There is plenty of culture around here that doesn't revolve around the majority, you just have to look for it, it's there. Have you picked up a copy of "City Weekly" or "Catalyst"? Those are great places to find it..
    Most of my biking buddies are transplants and like it here.
    I really dislike saying this, but if you don't like it go back to where you do..
    Utah, particually SLC is very diverse, if you can get past the "sterotypes" you'll see that.
    I hope we get a chance to ride together, I'll show you around.
    Brian
    Utah is a Great Place to Live!
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Beer!

I can't remember the name of it, but I had a really good ale from Red Rock Brewing.... or brew your own... or dink wine... or tequila!

I wonder how many times this topic has played out on this board? Most of the complaints that I see people haivng are based on over-generalizations, and petty "who gives a $hit" kind of things.

We have condidered PC, but I don't think it's warm enough of the year there for my taste. That and there are bunch of egotistical, materialistic, deuche bag Californians! And they are all like that!

Homer's problem child
    Thanks again for more info.

TruckeeLocal, finally a critical review that confirms my fears. But your opinion based on your wifes experience seems to differ greatly from people that actually live there, plus Truckee is so laid back you would probably want to punch several people here in Aspen for the same reasons you stated about SLC, if I could do what I do in Truckee I would be all over the opportunity. I am not too concerned about what others think of me, especially the super conservative closed minded folks. I let my work speak for itself, which in the past has allowed me to be very blunt and swear around the many conservative religious (even many mormon) co-workers in my industry, it seems in aerospace and composites in general there are a lot of Mormons and conservative religious types, my last two bosses (one in Aspen, the other in Boulder) have been either staunch Christian Scientist (even crazier than the mormons in my opinion) or devout Mormons. And I have been able to work with them very well, although I tend to offend and shock them a lot my quality of work has always out-weighed any of their moral scrutiny. The key is to be so productive and valuable they can't let you go, that and at the least make an effort not to offend them and respect their beliefs and they will usually do the same for you.

SilkTiSamurai, Thanks as well. If beer is that big of a deal we should start a pool of different folks that take turns driving to Evanston, WY once a month to stock up. As far as meeting folks there, my best friend from college and his wife live there and he is getting his PHD at U of U so I'll be able to meet like minded folks that way as well. He loves it there, he says the fact that 50% of the city is busy on a Sunday rules, and the fact that most of the Mormons have 5+ kids limits their spare time and $$ for skiing, biking, climbing,and the other fun sttuff so they don't really participate and leave that stuff to us "Infidels". Thanks for the info.

As for beer, I enjoy beer, but I don't judge the quality of my life around it. I probably have 4 or 5 beers a week these days, I used to dringk all the fancy micro-brews in college (I went to CSU in Ft. Collins, CO where Fat Tire and other beers are brewed) but these days I am less particular about it, on hot days I actually prefer a watery super cold beer anyway like Pacifico, Negro Modelo, or even just normal Bud. But I do like good scotch and wine though and drink that more often than beer. But I have my own sources for that, most of which comes from overseas anyway, I have a another good friend in SLC with a very extensive wine cellar and he can help me out for that. I know you can't get wine or booze shipped into UT but I'll be in CO a lot to see my family and will stock up then. But I don't think I'll mind. Rumor has it UT law states beer has to be 4% alcohol by WEIGHT, whereas most states (CA, CO) measure that by VOLUME, alcohol is very light, lighter than water, so 4% by WEIGHT tends to be closer to 6% by VOLUME, most beers other than specialty beers and beers like Bass are around 6% by VOLUME, Bass is around 8% and you can get stouts and other beers around 9-13%, but if I am drinking to get drunk the hard booze comes out. If you can tell the difference between a beer that is 5.6% by VOLUME and 6% I'll buy all night. But I do agree with the fact that some of the micro-brews in SLC taste watery, but I think that is more because their beer sucks than the law itself.

Thanks again, keep the info coming, this is good stuff.

What the hell is Opera? Not high on my priority list unless that is the only way to pick up chicks. Not my crowd. But I am big on Jazz, funk, reggae, some jam bands, and music like that. Living in Aspen can make you really hate the Opera crowd I guess. A little too stuffy up here, but elsewhere maybe it is different.

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 04-01-2005 at 11:16 AM.

Hill crawler

No offense intended

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    Those are some VERY GROSS generalizations...
    Especially the one about no skiing or BIKING along with the last part of that statement.
    I am a "native gentile" and I bike.
    I enjoy the opera here and think it is a good compnay. If you read the paper, the SL Tribune, you'd see that the Utah Opera and Symphony are having financial dificulties, like a lot of symphony and opera companies across the country.
    There is plenty of culture around here that doesn't revolve around the majority, you just have to look for it, it's there. Have you picked up a copy of "City Weekly" or "Catalyst"? Those are great places to find it..
    Most of my biking buddies are transplants and like it here.
    I really dislike saying this, but if you don't like it go back to where you do..
    Utah, particually SLC is very diverse, if you can get past the "sterotypes" you'll see that.
    I hope we get a chance to ride together, I'll show you around.
    Brian
    Utah is a Great Place to Live!
    Please understand that I didn't mean to offend. Also I suggested in my previous post that some comments were generalizations, and by implication less than reliable. But also understand that I CHOSE not to move to SLC despite the opportunity. The fact that I 'blame' my wife for the decision does not detract from the fact that we do not live in SLC despite deriving the majority of our income there. Meanwhile there are advantages to SLC, noteably ...
    • The mountains are there. Right there. A few block away.
    • I80 accesses some world class ski resorts just up the road (as does I80 from Reno)
    • It sure is cheap to live there
    • It can be a comfortable environment for some insular segments of our diverse country
    • There are cultural events, like the opera (which may not interest some mountain bikers !)
    • The transport systems are modern and efficient thanks to the recent Olympics investment
    • There are plenty of marriage counciling services advertised along the freeways
    • You can get really comfortable custom fitted ski boots direct from Daleboot

Now I'd suggest we all think where we're living is a really great place to live, else we'd move at our earliest opportunity. SLC works for some. Tahoe works for others, Chicago others, ... SLC is not for me, except to visit (for the opera, skiing, and potentially biking).

mtbr member

TruckeeLocal, finally a critical review that confirms my fears. But your opinion based on your wifes experience seems to differ greatly from people that actually live there

Listen to the good stuff too, not just the complaints. Seriously, I pay maybe $1-2 more a six pack from the state liquor store than I did back in Indiana. They didn't sell beer in Indiana on Sundays either. Wine and liquor seem the same price to me.

It's a quirkiness yeah, but you kind of like it after a while, or you don't even notice it. And great out doors definitely makes up for the quirkiness.

I swear at work and so do the Mormons. Even the temple recommend weilding Mormons. There are extremes to either side of the scale, just like any other religion.

I Just Ride....

Good job! None Taken...

Quote Originally Posted by TruckeeLocal
    and potentially biking).

I just wanted tp point out a few things. I hope I didn't offend either.

As for your above comment, come and ride with me. I'll show you some great riding along the Wasatch Front..

Brian
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

I Just Ride....

Good job! What Shannon Said...

Definitely listen to the good stuff!
    No matter where you live, the experience you have there, is what you make it.
    Contrary to whatever strories there are about Utah, it really is a good place to live..
    Lots of people come here just to "raise a family".
    Brian
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

Bandolero

Johnny Law

But I have my own sources for that, most of which comes from overseas anyway, I have a another good friend in SLC with a very extensive wine cellar and he can help me out for that. I know you can't get wine or booze shipped into UT but I'll be in CO a lot to see my family and will stock up then.
    FWIW, if you move to Utah from someplace else, your allowed a "one time alcohol importation" of whatever's in your collection. For those who have an extensive collection of beverages, there are procedures to import it. Contact the Alcohol Control Board of UT for more info. They are quite friendly. Your process, while feasable, could produce undesirable results if stopped by the UT state patrol. But let me know when you make the trip... I'll probably have a list of essential items you could pick up for me

I'd thought I was screwed with my wine collection but it turns out you can bring the good stuff to Utah.

Bruce
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob
    FWIW, if you move to Utah from someplace else, your allowed a "one time alcohol importation" of whatever's in your collection. For those who have an extensive collection of beverages, there are procedures to import it. Contact the Alcohol Control Board of UT for more info. They are quite friendly. Your process, while feasable, could produce undesirable results if stopped by the UT state patrol. But let me know when you make the trip... I'll probably have a list of essential items you could pick up for me

I'd thought I was screwed with my wine collection but it turns out you can bring the good stuff to Utah.

Bruce
    Ah yes, I am all too well aware of what it is like to be stopped by a UT state patrol with a vehicle full of booze. Spring break trips to Moab in college taught me that lesson. They really do not like kegs, especailly a RV trailer with a custom modifications to hold 4 kegs with 2 CO2 taps running out the side for easy access while camping, it was our mobile party wagon for tail gating and any other party, we could take it anywhere, except UT. We used to take 4 or 5 kegs of beer with us to Moab for a week long spring break trip. But then we got pulled over, the following years trips were not near as fun, but we remember them better. Who would have thought you could get a "Bootlegging" ticket in the 20th and 21st century? The times they are a changin, soon UT will be taken over by all of us moderates and change will happen.

Thanks for the advice. Things are moving forward. I am talking to realators about places in The Avenues and the other recommended areas. See you all in May! I'll be the guy with a wicked goggle tan rocking an all black stealth (no stickers on any part) Intense 5.5. Or I'll still be snowboarding the leftovers of the 200" base at Snowbird and in the backcountry ridin corn.

B

I Just Ride....

Good job! Ride On!

The times they are a changin, soon UT will be taken over by all of us moderates and change will happen.

See you all in May! I'll be the guy with a wicked goggle tan rocking an all black stealth (no stickers on any part) Intense 5.5. Or I'll still be snowboarding the leftovers of the 200" base at Snowbird and in the backcountry ridin corn.
    B
    I hope so!
    We did just have a woman govenor. So there is hope!

Sounds good!
    You will like it there, it is a diverse area. You'll be close to some good rides there too.
    Let us know when you get here.
    Brian
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

My apologies

as well..

Having been out of the state for 5 years now, and some heavy travel before I left it seems like when the topic of conversation is "where are you from” I invariably am trying to clear up misconceptions. So I'm a little defensive on the topic.

May 2004
    I'm from rural PA but lived in Philly for a few years.

Salt Lake has surprised me to no end - both good and bad. I've had problems understanding why wages are so low (85% of nat'l ave) and housing is comparatively high. I've had no problems with the mormons, other than some state law stupidity.

The outdoor life here is awesome. I ride to trails from my Sugarhouse home. The riding in PC is awesome - the 30 minute drive makes it feel like a little holiday. Winters are not that bad in the valley and of course the ski resorts rock.

Some days I feel a bit oppressed by the conservatism - on those days I shout a few f-bombs and remember that I'm not a programmed return missionary.

It's worth a try at living here- you may not like it but it's better than most places. My biggest complaint is wages versus cost of living.

Zak
    Discernibly Turgid
    Jul 2004
    I'm also moving to SLC in mid May and looking forward to it. Now you guys have me worried about the bootlegging laws. We'll be driving our car and a uhaul from seattle and I had planned to bring in maybe 10 or 15 cases of real beer from there. Is this a problem?

Zak

Homer's problem child
    Zak, read one of the replies above, they talk about how to get the forms for the one time allowance for bringing in a bunch of booze to UT. After that you do need to watch out for the po po if bringing booze in. The fines are hefty, I think mine in college was around $1000 and I had to drive to UT to go to court so overall it ran me about $2000 and took several days of my time. I even have a friend that was bringing home his empty bottles from Burning Man to recycle them, got pulled over in UT, the cop poured all the remains of all the bottles into one, gave him a bootlegging ticket and an open container ticket. That cost him about $5000, and he had to fly back from New Zealand for his court date. That hurt. That was a tough $7000 overall lesson atleast.

Pimpbot5000, I am moving to SLC from Aspen, CO, you have no idea waht high cost of living is, have you been to any ski town in CO? It is outragous here, gas is $2.50 a gallon minimum, 1 bedroom apartment is $900/month for a shoe box, a gallon of milk is $4, even places like Wendy's don't have the $.99 menu, they have the $1.49 menu. Cost of living here is second only to Manhatten and the SF bay area. Cost of living in SLC is 30-40% lower than Aspen, and I am getting a raise so I should be living like a king there compared to where I am at now.

Thanks for the info everyone.

B

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    I'm also moving to SLC in mid May and looking forward to it. Now you guys have me worried about the bootlegging laws. We'll be driving our car and a uhaul from seattle and I had planned to bring in maybe 10 or 15 cases of real beer from there. Is this a problem?

Zak
    Only if you get caught. If all the tail lights work, and your not speeding - why worry? And 15 cases -- if it's the back of a U-Haul or the trunk of your car, even more of a why worry?!

If your paranoid about it and thinking about it, you might be caught! Pack it away, and forget about it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

More about beer

Uintah has some good brews, I like the porter and the cutthroat pale ale.

Semi-interesting link:

http://www.uintabrewing.com/alcohol_content.html

Last time I was there I nearly crapped myself at the price of DOS XX from a liquor store , but on the other side of that coin I bought the same Shiner Bock at Smiths in Sandy that I buy at HEB in San Antone. :shrug: It is what it is.

Hill crawler

Price of booze

I was pleasantly surprised about how cheap wine was in restaurants in SLC. And it's real wine, but the choice is generally limited

One road trip we loaded up with real beer not knowing about the legality, or otherwise, of importing such quantities. Nevertheless it was quickly consumed and we need to resupply with the local fare. At least we weren't caught (for the alcohol violation).

By the way I had a real live current Mormon SLC native stay over with us last weekend. Their reaction to us moving to Utah ? "Don't do it". Oh well they've been divorced twice, took a glass of wine, and drank Coke constantly so perhaps they are rebelling against their Mormon heritage

Homer's problem child
    I was pleasantly surprised about how cheap wine was in restaurants in SLC. And it's real wine, but the choice is generally limited

One road trip we loaded up with real beer not knowing about the legality, or otherwise, of importing such quantities. Nevertheless it was quickly consumed and we need to resupply with the local fare. At least we weren't caught (for the alcohol violation).

By the way I had a real live current Mormon SLC native stay over with us last weekend. Their reaction to us moving to Utah ? "Don't do it". Oh well they've been divorced twice, took a glass of wine, and drank Coke constantly so perhaps they are rebelling against their Mormon heritage
    I hear you TruckeeLocal, rumor has it the Mormon Church owns a significant portion of Coca-cola, I have seen many suck down cokes like they were going out of style, but only coke, not pepsi for the reason I stated above, and most drank the de-caf version but often would drink the regular.

But that only makes 2 people that say "don't do it" compared to the dozen that say "do it, it isn't so bad". I have several of these threads going on different ski, snowboard, and bike sites. The majority say SLC is a great place for outdoor junkies, bad place for heavy drinkers, I am not a heavy drinker........yet....SLC may change that.

Basically, my two options are to move to Madison, WI and design and build composite bikes for Trek (not a big fan of Trek products), or move to SLC and build composite space craft, airplanes, and rockets. One is considerably more technically rewarding than the other from a career standpoint. I'll take Wasatch powder over WI mosquitos any day. I am a big ski and snowboard junkie, I would go crazy in WI. I can always call Trek back and move there if the crazy Mormons drive me nuts. Too bad staying in CO is not a viable option unless I want to live with my parents and work a job I hate, my current company is going through tough times unfortunatly, so I must move on before I am unemployed, haveing a job that you know could go away any week now is no way to live. That and I am way past living with my folks.

Thanks,
    B

Hill crawler

Best of luck

There are far worse places to live than SLC particularly for someone who wishes to enjoy an outdoor lifestyle. Similarly there are perhaps better places too (like Tahoe, Aspen, ... ?). But the realities of life, work, recreation, family ... need to be considered when deciding where to live. Clearly, for me at this time, SLC wasn't attractive enough to get me to move. I simply tried to highlight some of the reasons why. But it should be fairly easy to structure ones life such that the negatives of a specific location are mitigated (air conditioning and bug spray in Florida, raingear in Washington State ?) while accentuating the positives (buy a boat in Florida and Washington to continue the example).

Good luck with your pending relocation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    rumor has it the Mormon Church owns a significant portion of Coca-cola, I have seen many suck down cokes like they were going out of style, but only coke, not pepsi for the reason I stated above, and most drank the de-caf version but often would drink the regular.
    I heard that that they recently made a significant investment in the failing Penthouse enterprise. Part of a new initiative; "Bring a [email protected](*) back to the fold" I guess their gonna drop off some fur-burger with the other doctrine for the phalliclly inclined.

(*) Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if some rich mo owned the local bottling/distribution company. In one of the statues downtown the dude has his back to the church and his hand out to the bank!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by TnTaylor
    I heard that that they recently made a significant investment in the failing Penthouse enterprise. Part of a new initiative; "Bring a [email protected](*) back to the fold" I guess their gonna drop off some fur-burger with the other doctrine for the phalliclly inclined.

(*) Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if some rich mo owned the local bottling/distribution company. In one of the statues downtown the dude has his back to the church and his hand out to the bank!
    Like I said, "rumor has it", I heard that from very nice Mormon I used to work with.

My brother is sending me a book called "Under the Banner of Heaven" or something by Jon Krackour (not sure on the spelling, the same dude that wrote the "Into Thin Air" Everest book), anyway after 9/11 he decided to research fundamentallist type religions and wrote this book about the Mormons. Can't wait to read up on my new neighbors, rumor has it this is a very enlightening book. Talks a lot about the good and the bad, and all is referenced FACT, no opinion, no hear-say, just hard facts. It even has a Rebuttal from the Mormon church in the appedix. Cant wait to read it.

B

Aug 2004

Drinking in Utah

If you go out to a restaurant or bar, you'll generally find a normal range of beer and wine at about the same price as in other states. Beer on tap anywhere will be 3.2% but in bottles there's no such limit. At the grocery store or 7-11, beer is 3.2% and sold until 1am. Anything harder you'll find at the liquor stores (open till 7 or 10pm). You'll find beer and wine at the same kinds of restaurants where you would expect it anywhere else (not at McDonald's or IHOP).

Mixed drinks are often weaker in bars due to Utah's strange laws. You can have only one ounce of "primary liquor" in a drink (and it has to be metered) but you can have up to 2.75 ounces total once you add in the "flavorings" which can be other liquors. And those aren't metered. Go figure.

The whole list of what is available at the state liquor stores (and the prices) is at http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Produc...aPriceList.pdf if you're curious.

There is a place downtown (the Bayou) with about 200 beers available. So what I'm trying to say is it's not hard to drink in Utah.

If it's not enough... Wendover, Nevada is less than two hours west on I-80. The Wyoming border and liquor stores are an hour and a half east. Vegas is six hours south by car, and an hour by plane. Any West Coast city is an hour and a half by plane, and Delta has a hub in Salt Lake. If you're flexible and use the web fares, it'll cost you $100-$150 for a spur of the moment weekend trip.

It's far cheaper to live in Salt Lake and fly somewhere one weekend a month than it is to live in any West Coast city. That's the decision I made, but it won't work for everyone. Having all the mountain biking we have here in SLC and Park City is worth it to me. Having Alta 20 minutes away is definitely a plus. Being able to drive to Moab in four hours is too. As for the local religion... well, you can have a LOT of fun with the missionaries if they even THINK about trying to convert you.

My sister lives in Brooklyn, and that's the choice she made... New York has its own pleasures that would probably bankrupt or kill me if they were available to me all the time

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Overdeveloped?

PC is overdeveloped? Hi Mr. Kettle! I'm Mr. Black!

I've read a few articles this year about the blowout of homes being built in the Tahoe/Truckee area, unfounded?

Since I live in one of those G-forgiven sea of homes developments I'm a little touchy : )

Still I got 3000sqft on a 12ksqft lot for $260k ten minutes from three world class ski resorts and about 100 yards from a singletrack trail that connects to 100s of miles of singletrack. Granted its under (lets see we have gotten 400 inches of snow this year) a lot of snow right now, thank G for Moab.

Except for Sundance, driving around Park City is a joke there are so few people here considering the infrastructure they built for the Olympics.

Everything else I've read of yours is pretty much the truth, you know I've been here too long when I've started to take a shine to the Polyg Porter.

We have three in our cul-de-sac that commute to SLC, it would be less of a drive than I used to have in Denver, I am lucky enough to live ten minutes drive or in the summer, ten miles of singletrack away from my job on Main St PC.

Hill crawler

I assume you're referring to one of my posts

Quote Originally Posted by BobParkCity
    PC is overdeveloped? Hi Mr. Kettle! I'm Mr. Black!

I've read a few articles this year about the blowout of homes being built in the Tahoe/Truckee area, unfounded?

Since I live in one of those G-forgiven sea of homes developments I'm a little touchy : )

Still I got 3000sqft on a 12ksqft lot for $260k ten minutes from three world class ski resorts and about 100 yards from a singletrack trail that connects to 100s of miles of singletrack. Granted its under (lets see we have gotten 400 inches of snow this year) a lot of snow right now, thank G for Moab.
    I absolutely agree that the North Tahoe area is under constant assault by developers without the infrastructure planning that went into the Olympics related development We recently won a court case halting the development of another 6000-11000 houses in the area between Truckee and Northstar. And prices are silly. My 30 year old 2000 sqft house on a 8000+ sqft lot close to town would probably go for $700k. Median price last year was $535k. And I just saw a 3 bed condo listed at Northstar for $2.7million, let alone a lake front for $14+m. I too am less than half a mile from the single-tracks, jeep trails, forest roads that connect Tahoe City / Kings Beach / Truckee. Trouble is that it's snowing and I won't be riding there for at least another couple of months. Guess I'll just have to keep skiing

Thinking about it though - why wouldn't I buy something in PC to use when conducting business in SLC ? PC has good skiing, good nightlife, good biking (? - I haven't tried it), and is very dog friendly. Damn, I might end up moving given the silliness that's going on here. And they want the Olympics to come back

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Good job!

I absolutely agree that the North Tahoe area is under constant assault by developers without the infrastructure planning that went into the Olympics related development We recently won a court case halting the development of another 6000-11000 houses in the area between Truckee and Northstar. And prices are silly. My 30 year old 2000 sqft house on a 8000+ sqft lot close to town would probably go for $700k. Median price last year was $535k. And I just saw a 3 bed condo listed at Northstar for $2.7million, let alone a lake front for $14+m. I too am less than half a mile from the single-tracks, jeep trails, forest roads that connect Tahoe City / Kings Beach / Truckee. Trouble is that it's snowing and I won't be riding there for at least another couple of months. Guess I'll just have to keep skiing

Thinking about it though - why wouldn't I buy something in PC to use when conducting business in SLC ? PC has good skiing, good nightlife, good biking (? - I haven't tried it), and is very dog friendly. Damn, I might end up moving given the silliness that's going on here. And they want the Olympics to come back
    hey there ever ride with judith or elizabeth from truckee/kings beach?

Hill crawler

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by rick watts
    hey there ever ride with judith or elizabeth from truckee/kings beach?
    Don't know them. Sorry. Maybe met them out on the trail but most days I don't see anyone. There are so many trails out there that it's not surprising.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Truck-man

"my 30 year old 2000 sqft house on a 8000+ sqft lot close to town would probably go for $700k. Thinking about it though - why wouldn't I buy something in PC to use when conducting business in SLC ?"

Uh huh, sell your 30 year old house and come to paradise! Besides top notch schools, very outdoors way of living, awesome skiing/mountain biking, you can still buy a house for what it costs in a lot fo 2nd tier major cities. Alas, we wouldn't be neighbors, you would be hangin with the nicer neighbors with 700 to go shopping with. Come on and join the rest of CA as they figure what their equity can buy here. And the "UT" influence is barely discernable here.

6k-11k houses???? You can't even put my development, one of the largest in town, in the same league as these. Mine was 200 homes and approved 15 years ago and just built out a year ago. That 6-11k was one of the articles I read about, my corumba, the whole Park City metro area (sic) is only about 20k folks.

PC has good skiing, good nightlife, good biking (? - I haven't tried it), and is very dog friendly.

There is a reason IMBA had one of their Epic ride here last fall, we have hundreds of miles of singletrack with mostly intermediate to advanced rides and a few really gentle beginner trails that still get people into the mountains. The epic ride took in part, just a 30 mile part of the 8,000ft mid-mountain trail that takes one across Deer Valley, Park City and through the Canyons ski resorts as it runs at 8k +/- 200 ft for about 45 miles. For the really huck a billy rock hoppin folks its off to Moab, we are mainly buffed out singletrack with a few surprises now and then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Don't move here, there are enough people on the trails, in the mountains, and in the tram line on a pow day!!

That being said, move here if you love the mountains but still need a city. I would argue that there is no place in the US where you can get as quick access to incredible mountains and still have this large of a job market. I live 10 minutes from Snowbird, 25 minutes from early season rides in the foothills, 40 minutes from the epic trails in Park City, have a decent ride out my back door, and until I quit to go follow my dream job. I was making $80k+ (w/low cost of living) as a Composites Engineer, now I work for a great outdoor equipment manufacturer which chose this location for it's access to the mountains and talented employees. That's a hard combo to match anywhere. Add on a good summer outdoor concert scene and tons of people who are seriously world class at their sports and it is great balance. As an added bonus, it's located in the center of many great areas. The rivers of idaho and southern utah, moab, jackson, western colorado, and vegas if you're into that.

Yes, the mormons settled the salt lake valley and breed like rabbits, but I personally just ignore that world and go do my thing. If you can't do that then you will be one of the many whining about the restrictive rules and moral code of the land. I don't feel restricted one bit. My former Lesbian land lord used to drag me out to her gay and lesbian pride parade every year and it was huge. Thousands turned out as we drunkenly rode vespas in the parade. It's not Chicago, but if it was, I wouldn't be here.

I came here in '98 from Michigan and really have no plans on leaving, yet! I lived for long periods of time in SoCal, Detroit, the U.P. of Michigan, and Northern Idaho. I've traveled over most of the US and so far I'm glad I live here. If both my wife (a utah native and a rip'n snowboarder) and I could have jobs equal to what we have now, with a durango type town, our current mortgage, and this kind of mountain access, I'd move. Haven't found it yet so I'll stay here and sit pretty

If you come to town and want to ride, send me a PM. If it's winter, I'm on the mountain in search of more powder

Ridin in UT
    Boris - "Under the Banner of Heaven" is definitely going to be "enlightening"..... Fantastic book, and it really does give you an idea of what's around you. Keep an open mind and you will enjoy it.

I'll just add one more quick note to this long thread. I moved here from Southeast MI in February. Maybe I don' t has much perspective as the others who've lived here longer, but so far I couldn't be happier. I live east of I-15 about 15 mins south of the city proper, but within 45 minutes we have 4 fantastic ski resorts and countless great mtb trails. There are a lot of people here for the same reason: to enjoy the outdoors. I see people riding and running ALL the time in all weather.

Part of the big draw for me was not only the great scene around SLC, but the proximity to sooooo many other outdoor paradises. Southern Utah riding, Fruita, Idaho rafting, the west coast, Yellowstone, Park City singletrack, etc....

So you have to drive a tad further than the corner store to get wine or rum, who cares. So the culture is more conservative than Ann Arbor, MI (well, who's isn't). We're in the mountains so much anyway I don't even notice this stuff

Oh, oops, I'm supposed to say this place sucks. It really does, don't move here, you won't be happy!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Side Down
    Boris - "Under the Banner of Heaven" is definitely going to be "enlightening"..... Fantastic book, and it really does give you an idea of what's around you. Keep an open mind and you will enjoy it.

I'll just add one more quick note to this long thread. I moved here from Southeast MI in February. Maybe I don' t has much perspective as the others who've lived here longer, but so far I couldn't be happier. I live east of I-15 about 15 mins south of the city proper, but within 45 minutes we have 4 fantastic ski resorts and countless great mtb trails. There are a lot of people here for the same reason: to enjoy the outdoors. I see people riding and running ALL the time in all weather.

Part of the big draw for me was not only the great scene around SLC, but the proximity to sooooo many other outdoor paradises. Southern Utah riding, Fruita, Idaho rafting, the west coast, Yellowstone, Park City singletrack, etc....

So you have to drive a tad further than the corner store to get wine or rum, who cares. So the culture is more conservative than Ann Arbor, MI (well, who's isn't). We're in the mountains so much anyway I don't even notice this stuff

Oh, oops, I'm supposed to say this place sucks. It really does, don't move here, you won't be happy!
    RSD,
    Thanks for the info. I just got into SLC Tuesday and am settling into my place in The Avenues. I got a nice place near 6th and I. Too bad it has been raining so much. But I am hoping to get out for a ride today, tomorrow and a couple over the weekend. That or go snowboarding. If it is raining in SLC it is probably snowing up high. Might be a good time to break out the split board and do some backcountry or hit Snowbird.

I have some friends here that are cool and like minded so that helps a ton plus they can show me all the good trails around here. The booze laws are no big deal, getting drunk is not hard, however, the prices at the state liquer store are crazy, I paid $23 for 2 six packs of beer I used to pay $12 for in CO. Hard liquer and wine are not too much more expensive than CO but are still about 15-20% more $$$. But with beer 90-100% more expensive I may have to change what I drink.

ANy recommendations for trails within riding distance of The Avenues? What trails dry out quick and are ridable soon after the rain? I hate to ride wet trails and screw them up. It is fun to get muddy but it is not good for the trails most of the time.

Any advice?

My new job starts Monday so I hope to ride everyday between now and then. If you see a dude on a stealth black Intense 5.5 say hey. I'll be working off my winter fat.

B

Ridin in UT
    I was actually thinking of breaking out the board again to do a little hiking up above with all this rain lately. I don't know exactly how quickly the trails dry out up in your area, but you'd be within riding distance of the Bonneville shoreline trail. The section between the zoo and city creek canyon is actually a great ride. It's also fun to continue west past city creek canyon up over the ridge toward bountiful.

I agree about not messing up the wet trails, so I can't say exactly when they'll be dry, but soon I'd bet. I was hoping to get up into emigration canyon this weekend if it stops frickin raining for a day. I've heard it's clearing up in that area which has some great mid-altitude rides. Down in my area(Draper) the benches are more sand-based and dry out very quickly.

This is the best Utah trail resource site I've seen. A lot of great info on here and also a good local message forum. check it out for maps and trail info.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

I Just Ride....

Good job!

I am impressed this thread is still going.
    Just keep in mind Utah is a "Pretty Great State"
    "edit" It has rained everyday in the SL Valley for a week and off an on for the past two.
    Gotta Love Spring!
    It has been a wet winter/spring, which should fill up the desperatly low lakes and reservoirs
    Welcome to Utah Boris, Good Luck with the new job.
    Brian
    I am from here, and I live here...
    Last edited by mtbbrian; 04-28-2005 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Oh And!
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

Homer's problem child
    I am impressed this thread is still going.
    Just keep in mind Utah is a "Pretty Great State"
    "edit" It has rained everyday in the SL Valley for a week and off an on for the past two.
    Gotta Love Spring!
    It has been a wet winter/spring, which should fill up the desperatly low lakes and reservoirs
    Welcome to Utah Boris, Good Luck with the new job.
    Brian
    I am from here, and I live here...
    RSD and MTBBrian,
    Have either of you ridden the Bobsled stuff in the last few days? I live right there and was going to try it this afternoon if it stays somewhat dry. Is that a tral that gets pretty muddy or will it be cool to ride it?

Let me know, I am jonesin to ride big time but don't want to screw up the trails for later, I don't want to be "that guy" that rides and ruins muddy trails.

And it is Bortis with a "t". My friends call me Bart and Bort and if you are a Simpsons fan you will understand the name Bort from an episode, Bortis Yelltzen is my drunken alter ego.

So far UT is cool, but the rain is tough on someone really wanting to ride.

Thanks for the info.

B

I Just Ride....

Good job! Doh!

Sorry about that Bortis!
    I am betting that Bob Sled is probably wet.. Again!
    It has muddy sections, particularly the shaded spots.
    The trails in that area are the first rideable one of the year, although I am sure there are some, that ride it year around when it is frozen.
    Give it a few days to a week.
    Brian
    Ride On!
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

Ridin in UT
    Actually I still haven't ridden the bobsled section. the rest of the trail was dry as of 2 weeks ago, but the word on the street was there were a few small muddy patches left in the shade in the bobsled. I'm looking forward to hitting that part too.

I might bust out the single speed for the BST this weekend.. you riding this weekend?

check out the utahmountainbiking forum and post group rides when you go. You'll probably get some takers when you do.

later, Ian

(oops too late)

Homer's problem child
    Sorry about that Bortis!
    I am betting that Bob Sled is probably wet.. Again!
    It has muddy sections, particularly the shaded spots.
    The trails in that area are the first rideable one of the year, although I am sure there are some, that ride it year around when it is frozen.
    Give it a few days to a week.
    Brian
    Ride On!
    Few days to a week! Do'h!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was thinking I could ride it today and was out in my garage checking tire pressure and shock pressures and putting a new coat of lube on my chain getting ready to rock. Guess I'll have to wait or haul out the DH bike for some urban assault action.

Thats it, I'm breaking out the snowboards again and going touring on my split board tomorrow and riding Snowbird Sat.

Bikes will have to sit idle until the rain stops.

Thanks for the info.

B

I Just Ride....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Side Down
    I might bust out the single speed for the BST this weekend.. you riding this weekend?
    Let's Do It!
    I NEED A RIDE BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Brian
    I'm OK, Really. I just need a ride...
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

DOH!
    Bobsled was and (if you look out your window) is wet. There's more than just a few small sections with H2O, as well. Pretty much the whole run between when side trail cuts in to the cutoff just prior to the cars was/is wet. Riding the walls keeps you out of the river for the most part, but of course you need to traverse from side-to-side, with a few spots of down-the-center riding. You get wet and muddy, though "damage" to the trail itself isn't an issue, as the whole thing is a natural drainage anyhow.

The jumps at I St. dry quickly if the sun comes out. Definitely worth a look.

Welcome to the 12th most depressing state in the Union!! Order up a side of Prozac with the overpriced beer.

I Just Ride....
    Thanks BS!
    I knew you'd have a better insight of that particular trail.
    I keep meaning to ask you the meaning/story behind "Sprung Shoulders".
    I take it there have been no Wednesday rides?
    Brian
    My MTBR Gallery
    From a Zen proverb

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    Bobsled was and (if you look out your window) is wet. There's more than just a few small sections with H2O, as well. Pretty much the whole run between when side trail cuts in to the cutoff just prior to the cars was/is wet. Riding the walls keeps you out of the river for the most part, but of course you need to traverse from side-to-side, with a few spots of down-the-center riding. You get wet and muddy, though "damage" to the trail itself isn't an issue, as the whole thing is a natural drainage anyhow.

The jumps at I St. dry quickly if the sun comes out. Definitely worth a look.

Welcome to the 12th most depressing state in the Union!! Order up a side of Prozac with the overpriced beer.
    Well,
    I couldn't take it, this morning, I woke up, it wasn't raining so I geared up and decided to go find the trailheads, and if they looked ok I was going to ride them. So I headed up the Terrace Hills route, climbed up to the entrace of the Bobsled trail, noticed there were no tire tracks at all, so I decided to pass and ride something else figuring it was wet and not a good idea to ride it. I had to be back home by noon and it was 11 so I just rode the City Creek down. It was dry, the combination of sand and pea gravel seem to make it drain well, I didn't see any other tire tracks, just some foot prints from hikers. Had a blast and can't wait to get on some of the other trails. I poked around up there and couldn't beleive how many little trail offshoots there are. The map I got only showed the main trails, not the millions of little branches. But I managed to find my way around and had a good 2 hour ride nad found all the main trails in that area.

I am going to like it here already. The trails in this complex seem a bit smooth compared to most of the trails I am coming from in CO, but it was a nice change, the dirt was tacky and the banked turns offered some great high speed cornering and I was smiling the entire time.

Where are the rocky and more technical trails? I like the smooth stuff but I like to get scared too and am on a 5.5" travel bike which seemed a bit overkill on what I rode today, the entrace to Bobsled looked cool and that will be fun and challenging but everything else was just high speed smoothness with the occasional rock sections but nothing crazy.

ANy advice?

Thanks
    B

DOH!
    Thanks BS!
    I keep meaning to ask you the meaning/story behind "Sprung Shoulders".
    Brian
    I've seriously separated both of my shoulders in the last decade, which "sprung" the collar bones so that the ends now stick up. One shoulder (the left) was done in a bike-related crash; the right - the more serious of the two - was the result of an unfortunate martial arts sparring accident. Result: SprungShoulders!

I take it there have been no Wednesday rides?
    Just a couple. Two, if my count is correct. One was Dry to Bob, the other Dry to almost Bobseld, then back down Dry Creek. I've made a couple of solo runs, but other than that the wet weather has kinda put the hurt on group rides. Food (as in the person) is unavailable for the next week or two, as well, so I'm not sure if anything is going to happen for the next little while... Oh well. I've got enough yard and other house work to keep me entertained...when I can get out of the office, that is.

Cheers!

DOH!
    Well,
    I couldn't take it, this morning, I woke up, it wasn't raining so I geared up and decided to go find the trailheads, and if they looked ok I was going to ride them. So I headed up the Terrace Hills route, climbed up to the entrace of the Bobsled trail, noticed there were no tire tracks at all, so I decided to pass and ride something else figuring it was wet and not a good idea to ride it. I had to be back home by noon and it was 11 so I just rode the City Creek down. It was dry, the combination of sand and pea gravel seem to make it drain well, I didn't see any other tire tracks, just some foot prints from hikers. Had a blast and can't wait to get on some of the other trails. I poked around up there and couldn't beleive how many little trail offshoots there are. The map I got only showed the main trails, not the millions of little branches. But I managed to find my way around and had a good 2 hour ride nad found all the main trails in that area.

I am going to like it here already. The trails in this complex seem a bit smooth compared to most of the trails I am coming from in CO, but it was a nice change, the dirt was tacky and the banked turns offered some great high speed cornering and I was smiling the entire time.

Where are the rocky and more technical trails? I like the smooth stuff but I like to get scared too and am on a 5.5" travel bike which seemed a bit overkill on what I rode today, the entrace to Bobsled looked cool and that will be fun and challenging but everything else was just high speed smoothness with the occasional rock sections but nothing crazy.

ANy advice?

Thanks
    B
    Lots more "interesting" trails will start to become accessible once things dry out and - especially - when the snow starts to melt in the high country. The BST is super buffed and fun in areas if you can carry enough speed to rail, but it's also a very high-traffic, high-profile, and multi-use system that, by that fact alone, keeps it on the very low end of the challenge scale. Bobsled is more fun than can be imagined when taken at warp speed, and still a blast even at a slower pace. When it dries it's like riding on loose ball bearings in most spots; in the past I've lost more skin on that trail than I have DH'ing. Since I usually make a high-speed dirt dart out of myself at least a couple times a season on Bobseld, I wear light weight pads now when riding it. Pads are also not a bad idea to ward of tetanus if you manage eat shiznit riding the old, rusty car. I like keeping my skin attached these days. I must be getting old....

Did you find the jumps at the I St. trailhead, just prior to the trail down to City Creek? Besides the groomed tables and doubles, there's a couple of drops into the ravine (one is about 6-8ft to a very fun step-up, the other is 12+ feet and, last time I was there, not prepped especially well), and a single ladder drop of maybe 6-7ft.

Once things dry out and/or melt a little, the Mormon Flats Pioneer Trail will open, which has a couple of nice rock gardens and several aging built stunts. Once PC becomes rideable, however, the fun really starts. If you don't mind riding a lift, the DH courses at Deer Valley offer enough challenge to satisfy most, I'd guess. And then there's the North Shore-esqe trails in the area, which have a pucker factor pretty much off the scale in some spots. More BST-like is the old Stealth Trail system (now called the Glenwild Loop) in Kimball Junction, on the north side of the interstate. Lots of fun, and the south-facing singletrack normally is exposed early and dries quickly. This year, who knows...

We'll need to hook up and ride! There's a bunch of us (MtbBrian included) that get together on-and-off all season to pedal. All skill levels. I'm probably close to top oddball in the bunch, riding anything from a 24" SS dirt jumper (Balfa Minuteman) to my Mountain Cycle 9.5. I have a freeride HT and 6x6" FS play bike in between the extremes. All get ridden. I'm just a freak. MtbBrian will probably certify that, I'm sure.

Cheers!

Dr. Pepper drinker

Soon to be SLCers....

Greetings from another import. My wife and I moved here about 18 months ago and love it. The whole LDS culture thing is WAY overblown, it really only affects your life if you let it, if anything it's pretty laughable to us outsiders most of the time. I couldn't imagine how out of control this city would be if it wasn't for all the stereotypes so the more of that crap that's out there the better. There's great biking, skiing/snowboarding, hiking, and basically perfect for any outdoor activity. Mild seasons overall in SLC and you still have the full winter in the mountains. Plenty of cool bars and lots of places to see good concerts. I'm big into punk and ska music and there is basically a show I want to see every week. Cost of living is pretty good, the real estate market is rapidly growing, jobs are supposedly increasing and the overall culture of the city just keeps getting better. In our group of 25-30 close friends there are only 4 people from Utah, ther rest are all imports (mostly CO, CA, and WY) and all really cool people to hang with. Be sure to post on mtbr when all of you get here to get a few rides orgainized. I'm still doing most of my riding solo as I haven't met a whole lot of mtbers since our move.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    Lots more "interesting" trails will start to become accessible once things dry out and - especially - when the snow starts to melt in the high country. The BST is super buffed and fun in areas if you can carry enough speed to rail, but it's also a very high-traffic, high-profile, and multi-use system that, by that fact alone, keeps it on the very low end of the challenge scale. Bobsled is more fun than can be imagined when taken at warp speed, and still a blast even at a slower pace. When it dries it's like riding on loose ball bearings in most spots; in the past I've lost more skin on that trail than I have DH'ing. Since I usually make a high-speed dirt dart out of myself at least a couple times a season on Bobseld, I wear light weight pads now when riding it. Pads are also not a bad idea to ward of tetanus if you manage eat shiznit riding the old, rusty car. I like keeping my skin attached these days. I must be getting old....

Did you find the jumps at the I St. trailhead, just prior to the trail down to City Creek? Besides the groomed tables and doubles, there's a couple of drops into the ravine (one is about 6-8ft to a very fun step-up, the other is 12+ feet and, last time I was there, not prepped especially well), and a single ladder drop of maybe 6-7ft.

Once things dry out and/or melt a little, the Mormon Flats Pioneer Trail will open, which has a couple of nice rock gardens and several aging built stunts. Once PC becomes rideable, however, the fun really starts. If you don't mind riding a lift, the DH courses at Deer Valley offer enough challenge to satisfy most, I'd guess. And then there's the North Shore-esqe trails in the area, which have a pucker factor pretty much off the scale in some spots. More BST-like is the old Stealth Trail system (now called the Glenwild Loop) in Kimball Junction, on the north side of the interstate. Lots of fun, and the south-facing singletrack normally is exposed early and dries quickly. This year, who knows...

We'll need to hook up and ride! There's a bunch of us (MtbBrian included) that get together on-and-off all season to pedal. All skill levels. I'm probably close to top oddball in the bunch, riding anything from a 24" SS dirt jumper (Balfa Minuteman) to my Mountain Cycle 9.5. I have a freeride HT and 6x6" FS play bike in between the extremes. All get ridden. I'm just a freak. MtbBrian will probably certify that, I'm sure.

Cheers!
    Cool SS, you sound like me when I worked at the local bike shop and had a bike for every occassion, then I graduated college and had to join the "real world" unfortunatly. I'll keep riding a looking around up there since it is close to my house and I can get in rides after work. I live on 6th and I so do I just keep going up I until it ends and that is where the jumps are? Not sure my 5.5 is that kind of bike and my DH is too much of a pig to pedal much but it will handle drops like a champ, I just need to get back into that kind of riding.

I have a 2002 Santa Cruz Super 8 (still a ripping tough bike) decked out for DH with a custom Avalanche rear shock and Shiver up front and then an Intense 5.5 for trail riding and that is it right now, where I was living in CO there was either trail riding or DH so I sold my jumping bikes and just kept the two I ride all the time, but I must admit, my DH bike has been neglected and needs some torture, it is in great shape it justs needs to be ridden. That and I was the only person I rode with in CO with a DH bike and most all my friends that rode only did XC. I used to race bmx but have got out of the jump scene. I need to get a bike suited for that and urban stuff, your Minuteman sounds sweet for that.

I start my new job Monday so I still don't know how much riding I'll be able to do Mon-Fri, but weekends are going to be free and I plan on getting around to PC and everywhere else to have some fun.

Thanks for the info and keep me posted on group rides. I have some friends that live up Emigration and hope to get some riding in up there soon too. I am always checking out mtbr and now the utahmountainbiking site. I'll keep an eye out for you all on the trails and in cyberspace.

B

DOH!
    Mmmmm....Avalanche. Even with all the new gee-whiz cool designs out these days on the DH side, an Avy-equipped S8 is still one very wicked sweet ride. You'll definitely need to blow the dust off it and join us up at Deer Valley this summer!

A friend of mine just got a VPX, the 5.5's big brother. Very sweet ride. If you seen an orange VPX with urban camo Sherman+ on the trail and another guy riding an orange SS Balfa Minuteman / a blue Planet X Compo with a '98 SuperT / a stealth black LenzSport Alpine Brawler with a 6" Slider, that's my buddy and me!

I usually race DH in the summer, but with the increased costs this year (thank you NORBA), and a trip to Whistler planned for August, I'll have to see how my budget works out. Free time is also a factor...my life right now is such that it's hard for me to dedicate an entire weekend to racing.

I was a total XC guy up until about three years ago. I won the Intermountain Cup sport class three years ago, and the sport DH title two years ago. Last year I bumped up to expert DH and got my arse handed to me on a platter. Oh well. I'll wait another couple of years until I'm 40+, then perhaps have a remote shot at the podium again. If not, I'll just have to start taking people out.

I pretty much am a terrible dirt jumper, but I work at it now and again. I never had the benefit of BMX'ing as a kid, so I'm always a little jealous of those fortunate enough to have developed mad skills at a young age.

Anyhow, I just set up an account on Utahmountainbiking.com, so I'll look for you there, too. Why don't you drop me a PM and I'll give you my email, so I can alert you to rides, etc off-forum.

Cheers!

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Greetings from another import. My wife and I moved here about 18 months ago and love it. The whole LDS culture thing is WAY overblown, it really only affects your life if you let it, if anything it's pretty laughable to us outsiders most of the time. I couldn't imagine how out of control this city would be if it wasn't for all the stereotypes so the more of that crap that's out there the better. There's great biking, skiing/snowboarding, hiking, and basically perfect for any outdoor activity. Mild seasons overall in SLC and you still have the full winter in the mountains. Plenty of cool bars and lots of places to see good concerts. I'm big into punk and ska music and there is basically a show I want to see every week. Cost of living is pretty good, the real estate market is rapidly growing, jobs are supposedly increasing and the overall culture of the city just keeps getting better. In our group of 25-30 close friends there are only 4 people from Utah, ther rest are all imports (mostly CO, CA, and WY) and all really cool people to hang with. Be sure to post on mtbr when all of you get here to get a few rides orgainized. I'm still doing most of my riding solo as I haven't met a whole lot of mtbers since our move.
    Catch22,
    I've been in SLC since Tuesday and have already got in 4 rides. I am doing the City Creek all the way to Sunnyside loop today, my friens lives up EMigration Canyon so we can go from my place to his or vise versa. I did City Creek to Bobsled yesterday and it was super fun. Maybe the rain made the entrace to Bobsled easier but I didn't think it was anything very technical, but I could see it being tricky when it is dry and loose and the big jump at the top was cool. Firday I did City Creek to Dry Gulch. SO far so good. Definitely smoother and less technical trails than I am used to but fun and fast.

I have some friends here that are also transplants from CO just like me. The only real shocker for me so far is the cost of real beer.

I'll keep everyone posted on group rides I hear of or put together. For now I am having a blast exploring solo. After I get in better riding shape I'll be ready for the group rides.

B

Dr. Pepper drinker
    I'm way out of riding shape also. I'm not much of a cold weather rider, usually just put the bike away for winter and 'settle' on snowboarding. Made a Fruita roadie last weekend for my first ride of the year and had a blast but was hurting pretty bad for about 3 days after. Oh well, if we keep getting decent weather I should get out riding more soon. We did just buy a house though so the next few weeks might be dedicated to moving. Hoping to go back to Fruita for the fat tire fest next weekend but might have to skip it. I'm on a white Yeti 575 so say hi if you see me out on the trails.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    boing...

DOH!
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    boing...
    Then go hang out in the Virginia, WV, Maryland, DC, Delaware forum. If you hadn't noticed, this is the Utah forum. Feel free to stop back when you have something useful to say.