Living in Moab- Mtbr.com

Thread: Living in Moab

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Living in Moab

I just had a job interview for a position based out of Moab. It went well, and I think I have a chance.

I am concerned about economics however, as it only pays $13 an hour. I don't care about getting rich, but I want to be able to make it without starving.

All resources not dumped into home and food I would dump into biking.

How would you characterize the cost of living in Moab? What is rent like there for an apartment, studio, or older house? Where do you look for rentals?

Any frustrations you would voice about the town?

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks, looks like median rent is $450-500.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What is your family situation? single? married? kids?

To rent a descent, family house will run you $1000 to $1500 a month. Apartments and studios are much cheaper. Sketchy housing is the norm, so arrive with plenty of time to look around for something that suites your particular needs. If you are into riding, my personal recommendation is to stay in town. You have close access to Slickrock, Dave's Trail, and the Chili Trails. Don't live in Spanish Valley and definitely not Castle Valley. Good through a property manager may be helpful. Racheal Moody (435.260.8245) and Danette Johnson (435.260.0130) are two I would recommend. I you truly want to immerse yourself in the local mountain biking culture I have a friend who is looking for a roommate in town. But be ready for a wild ride.

Living in Moab is dirt cheap compared to most metro and resort areas. If your careful with your funds $13/hr will treat you well. A word of warming...the summers are incredibly hot. Riding can be a challenge that time of year. Moab is definitely a lifestyle and can be a real hoot.

Another piece of advice. Beef your bike up. Moab is not kind to lightweight. There is a local saying..."heavy mean heavy duty!"

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I'm single and would consider sharing a house with 1-2 people. A studio would be nice though as well. I prefer a more rural setting than a downtown situation and wouldn't mind driving 15 minutes to get to dowtown as I remember the swarms of tourists when I visited last April and May. I'm used to the heat as I lived in Mesquite, Nevada last year where anything less than 105 was a welcome relief during the summer.

Is it easier or harder to find housing as the tourist season moves into full swing?

Could you clarify what you mean by sketchy? Are you likely to get back a deposit as a clean individual? Is it theft that's an issue?

Thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I don't mind a party every week or two, but am over the constantly faced lifestyle of yesteryear. I'm into clean living, yoga, and decent food now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    What do mean by "based out of" Moab? Are you going to be responsible for expenses while on the road (if that's what the job description means) or are expenses picked up by the employer?
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    All work related travel is covered by the employer whose office is in Moab. The work will consist mostly of day trips into park and public land where I'd be collecting scientific data.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab
    All work related travel is covered by the employer whose office is in Moab. The work will consist mostly of day trips into park and public land where I'd be collecting scientific data.
    Dude, take the job, NOW. Sounds like the job itself is very very cool and you'll be getting paid to do it. Just say yes. Who cares if you have to eat beans and rice (I like beans and rice) during your stay in Moab, what a great opportunity.

And, BTW, don't put all your "excess" cash into bike parts, put it into something that's got a return on investment. I'm sitting on a ton of bike parts that I'll be lucky to sell for 1/3 what they cost me. If I'd only just put my $$ into a Certificate of Deposit, at whatever rate....
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

More Chasmism
    Seems like bigmountainrider has given spot on advice above.

One thing that's refreshing about Moab (and is still the case despite the increased cost of living over the last several years) is the lack of material ostentation. No one really cares about new cars, big houses, etc. No one really even cares about having the most expensive bike bling. Very refreshing.

There are a lot of over-educated / under-employed people here, which only makes it that much better.

hfly

mtbr member
    DO IT! Most people in Moab do not really make enough money, but they make the sacrifice for the lifestyle of place. You will make some of the best friends and have some of the greatest experiences of your life. Do it.

frejwilk
    Moab Advertiser has some rentals listed. It'll give you an idea on pricing and also some agent info.
    Don't worry about urban vs rural in Moab. A couple of miles out Spanish Valley is fine. Maybe even better if your job is what I think it is. But in town living in Moab is more 'rural' and quiet than many would expect. Even during busy season.
    Good luck,
    FW

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    By "sketchy" I mean that there are a lot of dwellings in questionable condition. Lots of trashed trailers and old, uncared for houses. And yes, some land lords are questionable. I've had a couple myself. Crime in Moab is pretty minimal. I usually leave my door unlocked...don't tell anyone Now is the time to be in town looking for housing. There always is more housing available now that in a month or two. If the party lifestyle isn't your dealo (mine either) then stick with the property managers I gave you the numbers for...it's a good place to start. The Advertiser, a free local ad paper, also has places listed to rent. If your from Mesquite then bring lots of warm clothes! The climate will be no problem for you.

Hfly is right, many folks around here are corporate dropouts looking to live the dream and the endless pursuit of material wealth has seamed to miss Moab for the most part...at least for now. Like any small town it has it's issues. And, no offense to anyone out there, but trying to ride your favorite trail during tourist season can be a little frustrating at times. That being said, thank you to all the ride here - without you we wouldn't be able to live the dream! Bonus: as a local you will get clued into the more obscure trails out there. But on the whole, it's a good place to live.

What do you ride? How would you describe your riding style?

Amasa Back or Blue Dot early season (slow) locals ride next Sunday @ 10 if you are in the neighborhood.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Your an idiot if you pass up the opportunity. Do you think you are going to live forever and that there is plenty of time to do it later?
    Live every day like it is your last bro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

What do you ride? How would you describe your riding style?
    I've got an '06 Stumpy FSR. I felt pretty comfortable riding St. George-ish area rides while I was in Mesquite. Xen Trail, Gooseberry, and Littlecreek didn't present anything I couldn't clean on a second try, if not the first. I really liked those rides, though learning in the Sierra Foothills in California, I prefer a long climb and then a long descent. I had a good time riding Porcupine Rim last year, but wasn't all that in to Slickrock (could' ve been a bad day). Those were the only two rides I had time for while in Moab. I rarely go over drops larger than 3', but I get braver every day. I usually ride solo these days, but it would be fun to find partners again.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm trying to make it a reality!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

spanish valley ?

Quote Originally Posted by bigmountainrider84532
    What is your family situation? single? married? kids?

To rent a descent, family house will run you $1000 to $1500 a month. Apartments and studios are much cheaper. Sketchy housing is the norm, so arrive with plenty of time to look around for something that suites your particular needs. If you are into riding, my personal recommendation is to stay in town. You have close access to Slickrock, Dave's Trail, and the Chili Trails. Don't live in Spanish Valley and definitely not Castle Valley. Good through a property manager may be helpful. Racheal Moody (435.260.8245) and Danette Johnson (435.260.0130) are two I would recommend. I you truly want to immerse yourself in the local mountain biking culture I have a friend who is looking for a roommate in town. But be ready for a wild ride.

Living in Moab is dirt cheap compared to most metro and resort areas. If your careful with your funds $13/hr will treat you well. A word of warming...the summers are incredibly hot. Riding can be a challenge that time of year. Moab is definitely a lifestyle and can be a real hoot.

Another piece of advice. Beef your bike up. Moab is not kind to lightweight. There is a local saying..."heavy mean heavy duty!"

Good luck!
    Excuse the stupid question...Why not live in Spanish Valley ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    PM'd you about a house I have for rent in Moab.

biking is fun
    Its a good place to live. I was a river guide (coolest job ever) down there for 2.5 years and lived there for 6 months of the year. The locals are awesome and typically don't mess with other locals. There seems to be a lot of crime against tourists though. My brother had his and his wifes bikes stolen off the top off their car. Rack and all.

Its easy to live in town but be out of all the craziness of the tourists. We lived half a mile off the main street and the tourists rarely venture more than a street or two off the main street.

I would agree though that there are definately some run down parts of the town (including the street we lived on).

It is fun and i would highly reccomend it. I would also reccomend making friends with the locals. They will show you the places in moab that are really the best parts.

Members who have read this thread: 0