Living in Draper- Mtbr.com

Jan 2006

Living in Draper

My husband was offered a job in Springville. We will only consider living in Salt Lake County. We used to live in Utah and know we would not fit in living UT county. I also need to be close to SLC for work. Draper seems like a good mid-point for us. I was hoping to get info on schools, life, riding, and skiing in that area. It does look like the home prices are higher in that general area. Any help would be great.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I don't know anything about the schools, but you will be super close to Alta, Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton. Like leave your house and you're there in 45 minutes. Plenty of places to mt bike. Don't count on any sort of nightlife. There' a small community called Suncrest in that area thats real nice, it's up 6000' or so.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

utahmountainbiking.com

Check out this to get a good run down on trails nearby. There's a bunch!

mtbr member
    Draper is vastly different then Utah Co. (I hope you note the sarcasm)
    That being said, it really is the best option for youor circumstance.
    American Fork canyon is also quite close and has some great trails. You can also tie into Sundance from there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    hey, welcome to neighbor. Utah is a great place to live. if you want to stay in the southern part of the valley Draper is nice. i don't know what level of schools you're looking for, but the two high schools are Juan Diego (private, catholic school) and Alta High school. For junior highs, the only one I know of is Crescent Middle School. Then don't even ask aobut the elementary's, they're everywhere. it's a real safe community too. If you're looking for a little more reasonably priced home you might consider the soutwest side of the valley in Herriman, Bluffdale or South Jordan. Herriman is up against the west side of the mountains, but isn't too bad considering you have Bangerter highway close by to get you to the freeway. my favorite ride in salt lake is right there in Rose Canyon like 5 minutes west of Herriman! Bluffdale is right in the middle of the valley jsut west of Draper and South Jordan is a little further north of bluffdale. considering how close we are to the mountains, you can't beat the salt lake valley for riding. you get off work, run home, throw your bike up, 20 minutes later you're at some of the most challenging and fun trails ever. Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Howdy -

I moved to Draper from San Antonio, TX about 7 months ago. We live in the South Mountain development.

For schools, I guess it depends on what you are used to. We had our kids in the public elementary school for about 3 months -- mostly we just felt like there were too many kids. We took them out and put them in a private christian school that we love, but we didn't budget for when we moved. So it's definitely a financial strain. Utah spends the lowest in the entire country per student, and Jordan school district (the district that serves Draper) just screwed their teachers. http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635187161,00.html for whatever that may be worth to you.

Otherwise, we like the neighborhood. Our neighbors have been relatively friendly (for Utah) - it seems like a quiet and safe place to raise a family.

I telecommute, so I don't anything about the commute into SLC-- I have heard it's an hour plus. There is a commuter rail line, though there aren't any stops really close to Draper.

There are existing trails in Draper, and Draper city just finalized the purchase of Corner Canyon with the intent of creating more trails and open space. It's a short trip out Bangerter highway to Rose Canyon / Yellow Fork - and there is a road that goes up an over Suncrest into Alpine where you can ride Lambert Park. There are also a lot of well traveled road routes in the area - if you are into that kind of thing.

The real estate is just nuts in the whole SL Valley. Link to the Tribune's Wastach Front Home Prices report, http://extras.sltrib.com/homeprices/ for some reason Draper isn't on that main page, but you can enter in the zip code, 84020.

Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0