Little Help- May Moab Trip: SolFun/Rim Tours or Solo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Little Help- May Moab Trip: SolFun/Rim Tours or Solo?

I am determined to get to Moab in late May 2008 despite having a very busy work schedule and family life. Because of the reasons stated I only expect to get out there for a grand total of three days of riding (Slickrock, Amassa Back, Sovereign and Porcupine are my targeted rides) and I reasonably expect to travel solo. I have traveled solo before on guided bike trips (Gooseberry Mesa with Western Spirit) and I had a great time not being fazed in the least I was on my own and loved the fact that I met new people from all over the country. After some research I discovered there are very few "set guided trips" in Moab with the exception of two outfits Rim Tours and SolFun. This leads me to believe that maybe a "guided tour" is simply not necessary in Moab. I mean I know Slickrock is marked (like Gooseberry), Porcupine has shuttle runs from local shops but I am not sure about the layout of either Sovereign or Amassa Back. I like "guided trips" because of the simplified logistics and the logistical insurance guides provide when things don't go as planned. But in late May (Memorial Day Weekend) is it just silly to sign up with a tour company? I imagine this will be a good weekend to get out and hit these popular trails because chances are slim I'll find myself on my own anyway...

Thoughts anyone?
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    If you are comfortable with the level of commitment that riding solo in the desert requires, go for it. There are excellent maps available, none of those trails are wayfinding challenges, and you are correct that there will be other riders out there.

I could debate the wisdom of riding alone, but since I frequently do it myself I could only debate it half-heartedly. Be careful and have fun!

JMH

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    If you are comfortable with the level of commitment that riding solo in the desert requires, go for it. There are excellent maps available, none of those trails are wayfinding challenges, and you are correct that there will be other riders out there.

I could debate the wisdom of riding alone, but since I frequently do it myself I could only debate it half-heartedly. Be careful and have fun!

JMH
    I agree that riding solo is always open for debate- exactly why I joined a tour for the St. George area because although I am comfortable riding within my limits things can go wrong and situations could get serious quickly. Riding solo on my home turf is a bit of a different issue as I am familar with the terrain, know where the bailouts are etc...

I must admit that joining the tour was a great experience because the guides were excellent in every way and the people I met (several who were also traveling solo) were very cool and it was just a great experience.

I guess my hope would be that after arriving in Moab I would be able to hook up with people at the trailhead or maybe find people looking for riding partners at the local bike shops... I just don't know how "crowded" the major trails would be on a holiday weekend. For my needs the more crowded the better.

I am still on the fence...
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

Bored Carp
    There will be a ton of people in Moab that weekend. Get your hotel figured out today!
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    This is completely un-scientific, but on a morning ride (8am-Noon) during that time of year I estimate you will see/pass another rider every 3-5 minutes on Slickrock and every 10-15 minutes on the other trails you listed.

JMH

aka greyranger

May trip

We may be going to Moab the first week in May, if your time plans change you are more than welcome to join us. The rides you listed are on our list. We usually stay at one of the campgrounds. Somebody else said it first, there is usually always on the Porc rim shuttle and Slickrock parking lot is always full. Should be no problem hooking up with somebody.

Members who have read this thread: 0