Little Creek SAR over weekend of the 16th?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Little Creek SAR over weekend of the 16th?

I heard that Search and Rescue was called out to Little Creek sometime over the weekend for a rider down and possibly dead before they got him out...Has anyone heard anything on this? There's nothing in the local papers or news that I can find.

We were out there today and it's apparent that our "beloved" Hurricane rescue ATV army has been on trail in force and the parking area is littered with rubber gloves they apparently couldn't dispose of.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yuck on all counts from what I've heard.....

Grizzly
    I heard of one account, but no details.
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Terribly sad, guys please please please look out for your buddies on trail, carry water, carry food and be aware. Totally unnecessary situation.

mtbr member
    I rode Little Creek on Saturday and I want you all to know that I am OK.

I saw nothing, but I was outta there by 10:30. Loads of people in the parking lot just leaving at that late hour.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This was Sunday, it should hit the news soon.

Talentless Hack
    Info
    http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12405307
    A Pennsylvania man died Sunday along a trail in southwest Utah.

Friend founds Joseph Manning, 40, dead on Little Creek Mesa in Washington County. The sheriff's office said Manning, of Avendale, Pa., was mountain biking with friends and became separated from his group. When the friends found him near a pool, they were unable to revive him, the sheriff's office said. Autopsy results are pending.
    Sierra Club Sucks

I'd rather be biking...
    At approximately 9:00 PM on May 17, 2009, Washington County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to the Little Creek area on a report of an unattended death. Little Creek is an area south of Apple Valley, UT popularly used by mountain bikers, hikers and ATV enthusiasts.

The decedent was identified as Joseph Manning, 40, from Avendale, Pennsylvania. Mr. Manning had been mountain biking with some friends in the Little Creek area when he became separated from his party. He was later found by his friends near a pool of water. His friends started CPR on him until assistance arrived. Medical personnel took over but were unable to revive him. The incident is currently under investigation by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office. There were no obvious signs of foul play at the scene. The cause and manner of death will be determined by the Medical Examiner following autopsy.

As a safety reminder when hiking or biking in the Washington County area during this time of year, it is imperative that you take adequate fluids and know your limits. Temperatures can routinely exceed 100 degrees. With any type of activity your body can overheat quickly causing you to go into distress. The Sheriff’s Office would like to offer some safety tips for hot weather:

Hot Weather Safety

* Keep sun exposure and physical activity to a minimum during periods of extreme heat.
    * Spend as many hours as possible in a cool place.
    * Drink plenty of fluids. Avoid alcohol.
    * Eat regularly, avoiding large meals and overeating.

If you feel unusually weak, dizzy, or confused, Get Help. Call 911

Please be careful when out there and know what you are capable of.

Chief Deputy Rob Tersigni

(435) 656-6509

NMBP
    This is tragic news. It would be interesting to know the results of the autopsy. There doesn't appear to be any mention of trauma.

Little Creek can be very disorienting for people that haven't ridden it before, or even people who have. Groups need to keep their riders together, and watch out for each other.

The hot weather tips that shelbster15 posted from the Sheriffs Office are rules to live by. There is no such thing as too much water or too much shade when the summer temps hit in the Hurricane/ St George area. Since I live in Cedar City, I usually avoid those trails from mid May to early October. When October hits, those are sure nice rides to be hitting again.

It would also be interesting to know what impact the SAR had on the trails while performing the extraction.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    I ride LC and Goose year round, during the summer you need to start early as the temps up there are really nice in the am and be back at the car and headed home by 10-10:30 or you are in for a miserable experience.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    It would also be interesting to know what impact the SAR had on the trails while performing the extraction.
    Aside from the sickening details of how this played out, this has really got me pissed.

I grew up in Rockville, which means I went to school in Hurricane, which means I've been around these douches all my life.

Morgan and I didn't go very far in but the first singletrack to the first portion of rock was a good indicator, thrashed, they stradle the trail pushing everything down in. All the ramps are flipped up out of place, one was even almost 5 feet away.

Now don't get me wrong, if I was hurt out there I'd want them there lickety split, but...

Last rescue Morgan called in out there: Colorado City beat Hurricane, went in on foot, stabilized, packed up, and started hauling the guy out, on foot. Morgan headed up out and encountered 4 Hurricane rescue on ATVs, after being pissed off that CC beat them (as if it's not about the life being saved) and being told the guy was ok and on his way out they proceeded in anyhow. There's no reason for the ENTIRE rescue crew to go home and grab an ATV, if CC beats you on foot there's a problem.

In the case of this rescue they knew where he was but still sent what appears to be multiple ATVs in, from multiple points, through uncut brush.

They also do "training" rides to scope trail occasionally, I guess walking and mapping doesn't occur to them.

Apparently this has all been brought to BLMs attention and they don't seem concerned. These guys have bragged more than once how cool it is to get to go ride trails they shouldn't.

I think we all adamantly agree we need SAR but it would be nice as with most areas if we had a SAR team that was at least somewhat like minded towards the wilderness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dhzion
    Aside from the sickening details of how this played out, this has really got me pissed.

I grew up in Rockville, which means I went to school in Hurricane, which means I've been around these douches all my life.

Morgan and I didn't go very far in but the first singletrack to the first portion of rock was a good indicator, thrashed, they stradle the trail pushing everything down in. All the ramps are flipped up out of place, one was even almost 5 feet away.

Now don't get me wrong, if I was hurt out there I'd want them there lickety split, but...

Last rescue Morgan called in out there: Colorado City beat Hurricane, went in on foot, stabilized, packed up, and started hauling the guy out, on foot. Morgan headed up out and encountered 4 Hurricane rescue on ATVs, after being pissed off that CC beat them (as if it's not about the life being saved) and being told the guy was ok and on his way out they proceeded in anyhow. There's no reason for the ENTIRE rescue crew to go home and grab an ATV, if CC beats you on foot there's a problem.

In the case of this rescue they knew where he was but still sent what appears to be multiple ATVs in, from multiple points, through uncut brush.

They also do "training" rides to scope trail occasionally, I guess walking and mapping doesn't occur to them.

Apparently this has all been brought to BLMs attention and they don't seem concerned. These guys have bragged more than once how cool it is to get to go ride trails they shouldn't.

I think we all adamantly agree we need SAR but it would be nice as with most areas if we had a SAR team that was at least somewhat like minded towards the wilderness.
    To be sure, the SAR guys that I know are Rednecks of the highest order. That being said I think that when a life is in the balance the condition of the trail is a non factor in their decision making. So we put the trail back the best we can and move on.

Now if it was those da** fixie bikes that you hate that were ruining the trail then we have a legitimate beef.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    To be sure, the SAR guys that I know are Rednecks of the highest order. That being said I think that when a life is in the balance the condition of the trail is a non factor in their decision making. So we put the trail back the best we can and move on.

Now if it was those da** fixie bikes that you hate that were ruining the trail then we have a legitimate beef.
    rofl, ya, goddam fixies. I agree 100%, it's just their attitude and lack of sensible planning to do the right thing in too many cases that gets me.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by can't get right
    So we put the trail back the best we can and move on.
    You won't get the BLM's blessing on this. They are more concerned with the possible damage to archeology sites then what caused the initial damage in the first place. The Color Country Cycling Club tried to get permission to rake out ATV tracks on Little Creek and they were told NO, because of the concern that we might damage arch sites.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    You won't get the BLM's blessing on this. They are more concerned with the possible damage to archeology sites then what caused the initial damage in the first place. The Color Country Cycling Club tried to get permission to rake out ATV tracks on Little Creek and they were told NO, because of the concern that we might damage arch sites.
    I think BLM is hoping Little Creek will quietly go away.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Important info on Little Creek accident

FYI

Yes a customer and friend has had an unfortunate accident and died while riding Little Creek Mesa near Hurricane Utah. I'm sure details will be abundant if you want to chase this but here's what's important...

A Mountain Biker with Passion has ridden his last ride with us, at least for now...

The people riding with him are still trying to sort out the tragedy and the unreconciled feelings that go along with this. As are his family and friends

Please be wise while posting silly MTBR slandering and such. I am sorry ATV's were used in his attempted rescue, aren't we all, not nearly as sorry as the fact that rescue was needed at all.

We unite on this site because of shared passion; remember that, this passion is enjoyed while we live - the end of that life is the one other thing we all share - one day these postings will be about you, remember that...

Raise a toast and share respect for our fellow man - especially our fellow cycling mankind

Cheers to life on a bike -

from all of us at Over the Edge Sports; we raise a toast to our fallen friends in this past couple weeks.

Cheers

with passion

Troy - Over the Edge
    Troy

[I]Over the Edge Sports - Fruita - Sedona - Hurricane - Melrose
    www.otesports.com

NOT Team Sanchez
    Sad news.......
    I like bikes.

Fartographer

Perspective

Thanks for posting and helping put things in perspective, Troy.
    Back of the camera, back of the pack.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I had no intention of overshadowing the tragedy of this with the ATV issue, they just collided, apologies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The ATV sucks

Grizzly
    Good grief...griping about ATVs in a thread about a man's death?
    GrizzlyAdam.net
    Read my book
    Follow me on Twitter

"The only thing better than solitude, is society."

~Ed Abbey

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Update on SAR ATV Tracks

On Saturday, May 30, a group of concerned local riders spent a few hours rehabbing the section of trail that the SAR folks rode during their rescue efforts. The ATV tracks were confined to the area from the main trail head north to the top of Wash Tub (before the waterfall). The rehab efforts have replaced broken barriers, narrowed the track where the machines widened it, and erased virtually all of the ATV tire tracks. The next rain should take care of the rest.

The good news is that the SAR team did not use this rescue event as an excuse to plunder the rest of the trail while they were out there. Since the team did not finish extracting the poor guy until around 9 PM, it was probably too dark to think about any joyriding.

Members who have read this thread: 0