Little Creek Mesa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Little Creek Mesa

My husband and I are heading to St. George over Veteran's weekend and rode Little Creek years ago, but understand things have changed. Does anyone know of a link to an updated trail map...all I have is Utah mountain biking's link which I'm hearing may not be accurate. Does this trail get a lot of use?

Thanks Guys!

Really I am that slow
    Stop into Over the Edge in Hurricane be happy to give you some pointers and draw in all the loops on the adventure maps we sell..
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I would not ride little creek without a guide.

Or at least a solid GPS track. The trail is hard to find and harder to follow. Go with someone that knows the trail your first time. Lots of people will chime in and say that it is not so hard to find and with just a little looking around you will be able to follow the trail just fine. I have been there like 10 times and still don't think I could find the trailhead in the mess of dirt roads. Once you find the trail it is not at all easy to follow. There are a few cairns and some areas of singletrack but you are going to spend alot of time riding around in circles looking for which way the trail goes. Use GPS or a Guide. Ride Goosberry, Barrell Roll, Zen, Church rocks etc. All are much easier to find and well traveled.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by suzwilson
    My husband and I are heading to St. George over Veteran's weekend and rode Little Creek years ago, but understand things have changed. Does anyone know of a link to an updated trail map...all I have is Utah mountain biking's link which I'm hearing may not be accurate. Does this trail get a lot of use?

Thanks Guys!
    Problem is that there is very little "Official" trail on Little Creek. So maps are not going to show the vast majority of what is available to ride.

Seems lots of folks get lost and then plow off trail and wonder around leaving tire tracks in all sorts of places that they don't belong. The BLM takes note of this and it make our process of mainstreaming Little Creek even harder.

Little Creek Mesa was pretty much HQ for the ancient tribes that lived here and there are a lot of burial sites, ruins and artifacts scattered about. Hike it some day and you'll be surprised at how much is out there.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    If you've done it once and have a decent map you won't have any trouble following it. I was able to google a great map and driving directions a couple of years ago and had no problem navigating it even though I'd only done it one other time a couple years before that with a local group who did the driving and trail navigation with me just following someone's rear wheel.

STS at OTE will hook you up.

Edit: Here's the link I found that was most helpful from bikerag.com. It has a map of the trail, driving directions and a link to a driving map.

Great trail. I'm jealous.
    Last edited by KRob; 11-09-2010 at 05:30 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks so much for driving directions and link!

bike junkie
    Mar 2004
    Horrible, trail don't do it. You won't like it at all...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    So we rode Goose all day Saturday and it was a bit full and a little "kooky"... and then we went to Little Creek Sunday....... besides our group there was not another soul on the entire trail system. Strange.
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    The only time I got lost in Utah was... when I was looking for the LIttle Mesa trailhead. Still a mystery to me.
    If not biking, then what?

Really I am that slow
    If anybody is interested i'll be headed up on Thursday.... 9am meet at Over The Edge Sports in hurricane.... 3-4 hours no drop ride with a few single speeders
    Read my BLOG!

bike junkie
    Mar 2004
    How are SS bikes on Little Creek?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by c-record
    How are SS bikes on Little Creek?
    Seems to be a nice SS area. No lung busting climbs on Goose or LC...
    Monte
    MTBR Discounts

bike junkie
    Mar 2004
    Yea, I was wondering on the gearing for the short but steep stuff. Maybe just charge it and grind up??

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by c-record
    Yea, I was wondering on the gearing for the short but steep stuff. Maybe just charge it and grind up??
    32x20 works well around these parts =) siren is geared 30x18 right now and my drop bar gryphon is geared 38x22
    Read my BLOG!

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    The only time I got lost in Utah was... when I was looking for the LIttle Mesa trailhead. Still a mystery to me.
    Most of the roads on Little Creek are loops. If you keep driving, eventually you will get to the trail head.

mtbr member
    The trail is a stem and loop. Easy to follow as long as you find the stem back to the trail head. Last time I went I tied a plastic shopping bag to a tree to mark the turn back to the trailhead. I prevented me from starting a 2nd loop. My 1st trip there I missed the turn off and then noticed I was following my own tire tracks. It got dark before I found the turn and it ended up being a very late evening.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Members who have read this thread: 0