Little Creek atv damage- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    169

    Little Creek atv damage

    Yesterday (Tuesday) I rode little creek for the first time this year and was greeted with horrible atv damage on the main loop for about 4 miles riding clockwise. Last year it was nice single track. I'm guessing two b-tard atv A holes rode out as far as they could last weekend then headed back to double the damage. What the H is with these freakin d heads. They had to see the damage they were creating and the signs showing no atv's. I'm so pissed I can't even express my aggravation. You should just see the little trees along the side of what was single track all torn up, leaves laying all over from the broken branches etc. And atv's apparently don't even need to follow the curves of the trail, no they just go in a straight line to make it all that much worse. Son of a B I'm ticked off!!! Do you think I'm justified in feeling like this or am I over reacting?
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

  2. #2
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972
    You're justified feeling this way, but you'll have better health if you learn to handle it somehow.......good luck with that, I'm still trying. Another problem is that once an atv sees that other atvs ridden there they'll all start riding it, eg the GV racecourse as an example.
    I like bikes.

  3. #3
    banned
    Reputation: traildoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,540
    Quote Originally Posted by kingair
    Yesterday (Tuesday) I rode little creek for the first time this year and was greeted with horrible atv damage on the main loop for about 4 miles riding clockwise. Last year it was nice single track. I'm guessing two b-tard atv A holes rode out as far as they could last weekend then headed back to double the damage. What the H is with these freakin d heads. They had to see the damage they were creating and the signs showing no atv's. I'm so pissed I can't even express my aggravation. You should just see the little trees along the side of what was single track all torn up, leaves laying all over from the broken branches etc. And atv's apparently don't even need to follow the curves of the trail, no they just go in a straight line to make it all that much worse. Son of a B I'm ticked off!!! Do you think I'm justified in feeling like this or am I over reacting?
    Are you sure those tracks weren't due to some kind of rescue out there?

  4. #4
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    I read here that Search & Rescue was out there Thursday or Friday. I saw tracks there on Saturday going over a log barricade and further in just on the north side of the pond.

    On the big loop where the OP was mentioning, there is a road that will take ATV's close to that area.

    I hate seeing ATV tracks out there, mostly for the reason stated by wasea04. If the tracks are there from a simple S&R in and out, I can live with it. Sounds like they are in 2 separate places though.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    169
    I saw the tracks on the north side too but the tracks I'm talking about are on the south end.
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

  6. #6
    Really I am that slow
    Reputation: SlowerThenSnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,777
    Has a customer break her leg above the ankle... the S&R tracks were due to that...

    I'll post when we are planning on doing some trail work to erase that...
    Read my BLOG!

    just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5

    Urgent Little Creek Rehab Effort Planned

    A group from Color Country Cycling Club is heading out Friday afternoon (4/2) to do repairs, if the weather permits. If we can get several people working on this, we should be able to get it fixed in an afternoon. If you can join in, reply to [email protected] and maybe we can set up a carpool.

    Let's meet at 12:00 at Over the Edge in Hurricane. Bring a rake and work gloves. Please join us. This is a chance to give something back to the trails you love. Let's fix the damage right away before recreational ATV riders see the tracks.

  8. #8
    Really I am that slow
    Reputation: SlowerThenSnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,777
    Quote Originally Posted by NewHarmonyRider
    A group from Color Country Cycling Club is heading out Friday afternoon (4/2) to do repairs, if the weather permits. If we can get several people working on this, we should be able to get it fixed in an afternoon. If you can join in, reply to [email protected] and maybe we can set up a carpool.

    Let's meet at 12:00 at Over the Edge in Hurricane. Bring a rake and work gloves. Please join us. This is a chance to give something back to the trails you love. Let's fix the damage right away before recreational ATV riders see the tracks.

    I put the word out on the shop Face Book page...
    Read my BLOG!

    just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

  9. #9
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972
    It's too bad the woman broke her leg, never want to see that happen, too bad about the trail too........people are more important than trails any day.
    I like bikes.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by NewHarmonyRider
    A group from Color Country Cycling Club is heading out Friday afternoon (4/2) to do repairs, if the weather permits. If we can get several people working on this, we should be able to get it fixed in an afternoon. If you can join in, reply to [email protected] and maybe we can set up a carpool.

    Let's meet at 12:00 at Over the Edge in Hurricane. Bring a rake and work gloves. Please join us. This is a chance to give something back to the trails you love. Let's fix the damage right away before recreational ATV riders see the tracks.
    Hope someone's bringing extra rakes. If so, I'll be there!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2
    We'll have a couple of extra rakes with us. You should bring gloves though. We'll be at OTE at 12:00.

  12. #12
    Really I am that slow
    Reputation: SlowerThenSnot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,777

    Good job! Big Thanks!

    To the crew who spent their Friday afternoon doing trail fixes and raking the ATV tracks out!!

    Mucho Thanks!
    Read my BLOG!

    just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    5

    Little Creek Repair Complete

    On Thursday, March 25, a local rider broke her leg near the south rim on Little Creek Mesa. A Search and Rescue team on ATVs rode in to assist. While we recognize the need for this otherwise unwelcome intrusion onto the pristine trails, the result is still a widening and gouging of the single-track.

    An alert Color Country Club rider heard about the damage and immediately rallied a call to action. On Friday, April 2 just 8 days after the damage occurred a small group of concerned locals walked the 4 miles of affected trail and gently raked out the ATV tracks, taking care not to disturb any artifacts that might have been churned up by the powerful wheels. The rake marks will disappear after 1 or 2 rains and the trail will be back to normal.

    The timing of the Easter weekend escalated the urgency. As weve seen on other trails, once ATV tracks appear on a trail, recreational riders see the tracks and assume that its OK to ride there. So before hoards of holiday weekend visitors arrived and started crawling the mesa, we wanted the attraction to be gone. And now it is.

    Club members John, Jeff, Steve, and Carlos were joined by Tae, a local Hurricane rider. The effort took about 5 hours.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    26
    I rode Little Creek on Saturday the 27th with two friends and we were upset with the destruction to such a beautiful trail. I just want to say thank's to the group of locals that took the time to put the single back in that amazing singletrack. I've been fortunate enough to make a trip down there from Northern Utah each of the last three springs, and look forward to riding Little Creek all year, so thank's again for your hard work.

    It is comforting to know that the local search and rescue is able to respond to accidents on such rugged terrain. It seems that the atv riders would need to be quite skilled to negotiate such a narrow trail.

    Best wishes to the rider who broke her leg and hope she's able to ride again soon.

  15. #15
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    7,517
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    Has a customer break her leg above the ankle... the S&R tracks were due to that...

    I'll post when we are planning on doing some trail work to erase that...


    She could not ride out?

    I broke my leg(Tib & Fib) 4" above my ankle on Jan. 2 out in Palm Springs, CA. We were 9 miles into a 24 mile ride. Tube, bandana, electrical tape, cut down yucca plant, cut down waterbottle and athletic tape.....was able to ride 80% of the remaining 15 miles.
    Bicycles dont have motors or batteries.:nono:

    Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

  16. #16
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    She could not ride out?

    I broke my leg(Tib & Fib) 4" above my ankle on Jan. 2 out in Palm Springs, CA. We were 9 miles into a 24 mile ride. Tube, bandana, electrical tape, cut down yucca plant, cut down waterbottle and athletic tape.....was able to ride 80% of the remaining 15 miles.
    I don't know anything about your injury and almost as much about the one on Little Creek. However to suggest that the rider splint her ankle, tough it out and continue on the ride is ludicrous.

    I was very disappointed to see all the ATV tracks on Little Creek. I don't know if they were all caused by S&R or not, but there were tracks going in 2 opposite and mostly unrelated directions.

    Thanks to my fellow club members, the tracks have been mostly eradicated, and the rock and log barricades reinstalled.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    She could not ride out?

    I broke my leg(Tib & Fib) 4" above my ankle on Jan. 2 out in Palm Springs, CA. We were 9 miles into a 24 mile ride. Tube, bandana, electrical tape, cut down yucca plant, cut down waterbottle and athletic tape.....was able to ride 80% of the remaining 15 miles.
    Eat a di#k fuc#tard... No, she could not ride out with a broken tibia projecting through her shin and a broken fibiia as well.. However she did ride out 8 miles once with a gash which required 16 stitches and didn't complain a bit.

    The rod and four screws in her tibia and the break in her fibia will be healed in about six more weeks, thanks for asking... ...

    My and my wife's thanks go out to the folks who helped with the rescue and to the color country guys and gals for the trail rehab. We will repay the work when we are able by helping either on LC or where else needed.

  18. #18
    Ride and Smile
    Reputation: axolotl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY
    Eat a di#k fuc#tard... No, she could not ride out with a broken tibia projecting through her shin and a broken fibiia as well.. However she did ride out 8 miles once with a gash which required 16 stitches and didn't complain a bit.

    The rod and four screws in her tibia and the break in her fibia will be healed in about six more weeks, thanks for asking... ...

    My and my wife's thanks go out to the folks who helped with the rescue and to the color country guys and gals for the trail rehab. We will repay the work when we are able by helping either on LC or where else needed.
    I think it had nothing to do with the girl. He probably just wanted an opportunity to tell everyone how gnarly he is. So I think we are supposed to say "oohhh, you are amazing" and overlook the incredibly stupid remark about your wife.

    Anyone using their brain can work it out that broken bones can require rescues. Glad your wife is doing better.
    Also thanks to all for helping fix the damage!

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by axolotl
    I think it had nothing to do with the girl. He probably just wanted an opportunity to tell everyone how gnarly he is. So I think we are supposed to say "oohhh, you are amazing" and overlook the incredibly stupid remark about your wife.

    Anyone using their brain can work it out that broken bones can require rescues. Glad your wife is doing better.
    Also thanks to all for helping fix the damage!

    We all come with brains as OE, but so many don't use them. I just love the "Ready...FIRE!!!...Aim" post like his.

    Thanks for the kind words, I'll pass them along to Bonnie. BTW... as of today I have only six more weeks as her personal slave. LOL!!!
    Last edited by STT GUY; 04-08-2010 at 08:08 AM.

  20. #20
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,972
    STT, major bummer about your wife man.......Like I said earlier, people are ALWAYS more important than trails, or anything else for that matter. I hope she recovers quick and well!

    Thanks to the guys and gals who repaired the trail!
    I like bikes.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    STT, major bummer about your wife man.......Like I said earlier, people are ALWAYS more important than trails, or anything else for that matter. I hope she recovers quick and well!

    Thanks to the guys and gals who repaired the trail!
    Well unfortunately in hindsite the ATV's were totally unneeded. There was a helicopter there well before they hit the trail..


    It went down like this.

    Bonnie falls at like 2 MPH....breaks leg...on checking the wound we note that it is an open fracture of the Tibia (Fib fracture was not noticed and found on X-ray). My friend and I (both WFR's....) look through our packs and realize that between the two of us we have a little stuff but not really what we should have been carrying in the way of supplies (shame on me..). We make a splint for Bonnie out of a Blackburn pump and some solid branches. I call 911 and advise them of the situation and let them know we'll need a litter and two additional folks to walk her out. FWIW, it was about five miles and she weighs 115# so four strong guys could hike her out in a litter in about 90-120 minutes. I give the 911 gal GPS for the trail head and tell her we'll have one of us meet whoever at the trailhead. She asks about chopper landing zones and I let her know that this was 100% not a life threatening situation and I would hate to put an aircrew at risk when IMO it is not warranted. (Note: medivac flightcrew is the one of the most dangerous job in aviation.. crop dusting is first IIRC)

    My partner goes to the trailhead, I stay with the wife.. The Colorado City/Hilldale rescue guys come to the trailhead with six guys.. four with MTN bikes (how totally cool is THAT?) and two carrying a bit more gear who were walking/jogging in.

    They arrive at where Bonnie and I are waiting and I hear that distinct sound of rotor blades off in the distance....I'm like "Dude.. what is that noise?" My partner says.."That's Bonnie's ride.."

    The Hillsdale/CO City rescue guys said "don't worry, we called the Arizona HWY Patrol" and they were not busy and that chopper flew in from Kingman. Oh and since it is AZ HWY Patrol there is no charge. WOW!!! How cool is that.

    The chopper landed (in a pretty tight LZ) and they started an IV and gave Bonnie two big shots of the magic juice.. her leg still hurt like hell...but she didn't care any more! They splinted it properly and loaded her up and took her to Saint George.

    Less than four hours after she fell, she was in surgery and her MD is an avid mountain biker who just retured the day prior from Moab.

    I must say that EVERYONE involved was great. The Hillsdale/Colorado City rescue guys are awsome and were very caring and professional and the aircrew (who were all AZ Highway Patrol officers) from Kingman were super.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,959
    I'm glad you're wife is doing well. Folks also forget that S&R are mostly volunteers.

    I had to air evac an empoyee out of Grand Cayon from a river trip two years ago and because NPS wasn't available Guardian flew in from Page. They billed $15,000!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonny boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    489
    Glad your wife is doing well. Also, thanks for the trailwork! Trailworkers, I owe you a beer - and we will be camped on Gooseberry in 1 1/2 weeks, so if interested I can let you know how to recognize us, and you can stop by after your ride.

    Selfish question - is there any dispersed camping up near/on Little Creek Mtn? We will head for Gooseberry, but just in case. Thanks.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy
    Glad your wife is doing well. Also, thanks for the trailwork! Trailworkers, I owe you a beer - and we will be camped on Gooseberry in 1 1/2 weeks, so if interested I can let you know how to recognize us, and you can stop by after your ride.

    Selfish question - is there any dispersed camping up near/on Little Creek Mtn? We will head for Gooseberry, but just in case. Thanks.
    There are a couple of nice spots out there.

  25. #25
    NMBP
    Reputation: crashtestdummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    2,159
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny boy
    Selfish question - is there any dispersed camping up near/on Little Creek Mtn? We will head for Gooseberry, but just in case. Thanks.
    LC mesa is much larger than Goose, so there are multitudes of places to camp. No outhouses though.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jonny boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    489
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy
    LC mesa is much larger than Goose, so there are multitudes of places to camp. No outhouses though.
    Thanks guys. We have our own toilets, which if I recall is preferred to the crappa on Gooseberry = nasty stink. We'll pack it out.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    497
    So that's the rest of the story! Glad Bonnie got out O.K. and received quality care and drug support! I hope she heals fast and can get an uneventful ride on LC soon after. BTW, if you and Bonnie are like me and my wife, you have always been and will continue to be her personal slave for a lot longer than 6 weeks! Take care and I hope to ride with you all again sometime. Let me know if you ever venture out here to socal!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.