Last minute St George/Hurricane Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Last minute St George/Hurricane Suggestions

I'll be there for 3 days and am looking for some ideas on what to ride, etc.

Ambassador of Chub
    A ton of trails and options around there - what kind of riding are you looking for? XC? Techie chunk? Take a look at Trailforks for starters, if you haven't already.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    A ton of trails and options around there - what kind of riding are you looking for? XC? Techie chunk? Take a look at Trailforks for starters, if you haven't already.
    I like flowy stuff with SOME tech, but nothing that is gonna break up the ride so much that it's a hassle. XC, Trail, DH. A great mix of everything to be honest.

mtbr member
    Gooseberry Mesa is *THE* must ride trail out there. It's not flowy but there is nothing like it anywhere else that I'm aware of. A very small minority of people dislike it but most enjoy it.

If you want true flow, the JEM Trail outside Hurricane is the best out there by far. We start on the Virgin side and ride up JEM and then take it all the way back = about 13 miles. Barrel Roll and Church Rocks/Prospector will also work for you and maybe Zen Trail (I love it). They are all over in St George.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Go to Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane. They can really help you out with suggestions.

I really like Little Creek Mesa also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Keep em' coming folks, I ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We'll be out there in a couple of weeks so I've been researching the trails a bit. Check out video of all of the trails mentioned above here:

https://chasingepicmtb.com/trips/what-to-expect/

check back in after the trip and tell us how it went

Your Best Friend
    You'd like the Santa Clara trails. Barrel Roll, Sidewinder, Suicidal Tendencies.

Also check out Wire Mesa.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Well 6foot4, tell us what you've rode so far. What did you like and not like?
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Well 6foot4, tell us what you've rode so far. What did you like and not like?
    Yesterday I hit Gooseberry Mesa. I was actually really worried that it would be too much like Slickrock in Moab, which I prefer not to ride vs a lot of the other trails in Moab. It turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. Gooseberry Mesa was a total blast. I did the South Rim>North Rim>Bowls and Ledges>Windmill>Practice Loop route. Although I wasn't cleaning everything out there, I definitely increased my skills as the day went on. Super fun stuff.

Today I did the Hurricane Rim>Goulds Rim>JEM loop. I'm glad I did this one on day 2 because my legs weren't as fresh and I think I needed better legs for Gooseberry. Overall it was a beautiful ride and had some fun flow to it which I was happy about.

I'm considering doing the Santa Clara Trails on my way out of St George, but I'm also looking at taking a rest day as another option. I have 4-6 more days on my MTB road trip and I think I'd rather rest and then finish strong for the last 4-5 days.

Not sure yet.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6foot4 View Post
    Yesterday I hit Gooseberry Mesa. I was actually really worried that it would be too much like Slickrock in Moab, which I prefer not to ride vs a lot of the other trails in Moab. It turns out I couldn't have been more wrong. Gooseberry Mesa was a total blast. I did the South Rim>North Rim>Bowls and Ledges>Windmill>Practice Loop route. Although I wasn't cleaning everything out there, I definitely increased my skills as the day went on. Super fun stuff.

Today I did the Hurricane Rim>Goulds Rim>JEM loop. I'm glad I did this one on day 2 because my legs weren't as fresh and I think I needed better legs for Gooseberry. Overall it was a beautiful ride and had some fun flow to it which I was happy about.

I'm considering doing the Santa Clara Trails on my way out of St George, but I'm also looking at taking a rest day as another option. I have 4-6 more days on my MTB road trip and I think I'd rather rest and then finish strong for the last 4-5 days.

Not sure yet.

I don't think you're allowed to rest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Well, maybe that settles it.

Ambassador of Chub

Not sure yet.

Nice. You've gotten a good sampling of the area. I honestly love this area more than Moab.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Indeed.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

Your Best Friend
    Good, now go hit Guacamole Mesa or Little Creek Mesa.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    Good, now go hit Guacamole Mesa or Little Creek Mesa.

I'm thinking about hitting something on my way out of town tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I'm laughing WITH you, as I was forced to ride about 15 miles in Moab with my 26 year old son after I cracked a rib two years ago. You can rest in the hospital!

mtbr member
    If your out of town route takes you through Cedar City go hit Lichen It up and Lava Flow down.
    One minute off the freeway and sounds like a ride you would Really like. Not too long but long enough you know you rode, fun flowy up (somehow possible on this well built trail) and fun flowy with a bit of not always required chunk on the way down. Seriously, I don't think you will regret it.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by billj121 View Post
    If your out of town route takes you through Cedar City go hit Lichen It up and Lava Flow down.
    One minute off the freeway and sounds like a ride you would Really like. Not too long but long enough you know you rode, fun flowy up (somehow possible on this well built trail) and fun flowy with a bit of not always required chunk on the way down. Seriously, I don't think you will regret it.
    Agreed. I hit those on a road trip last Spring when I was itching to get out of the car for a while and get some exercise, and I was pleasantly surprised by how fun this little loop was. It still felt pretty "new" and a raw then, but I bet that after a season of being ridden it's pretty choice now:

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/lava-flow-51423/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We just got back, it was a really fun trip. So unique and different from what I'm used to in California. We were fortunate to have some friends in the area who knew it well and gave us a great tour. Gooseberry was fun and pretty well marked. I don't know why they call it slickrock, the grip is insane and you can climb up damn near anything. I think the Hidden Canyon trail was my favorite part. It was really crowded at the point, like 50+ people. I guess everyone was getting in their ride before it gets too cold. We rode Little Creek the next day. Also very fun with incredible views. The trail was mostly marked with rock cairnes so it would be very easy to get turned around your first time here. We rode at a reasonable pace but I imagine these trails would be really cool if you knew them well and really went for it. We did a loop of Dead Ringer and Jem on the last day before heading out. It was okay, some fun parts but not a "destination trail" in my opinion. Probably best to do the full loop with Hurricane Rim but we didn't have time. Good times. Will be back for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i could be wrong, but slickrock is slick because of metal ringed wagon wheels. ( or maybe metal horse shoes) (not 29r wagon wheels, but real frontier days wagon wheels )

They didn't have Maxxis Minion DHFs back then...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    i could be wrong, but slickrock is slick because of metal ringed wagon wheels. ( or maybe metal horse shoes) (not 29r wagon wheels, but real frontier days wagon wheels )

They didn't have Maxxis Minion DHFs back then...
    Horseshoes gave slickrock its name.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    We just got back, it was a really fun trip. So unique and different from what I'm used to in California. We were fortunate to have some friends in the area who knew it well and gave us a great tour. Gooseberry was fun and pretty well marked. I don't know why they call it slickrock, the grip is insane and you can climb up damn near anything. I think the Hidden Canyon trail was my favorite part. It was really crowded at the point, like 50+ people. I guess everyone was getting in their ride before it gets too cold. We rode Little Creek the next day. Also very fun with incredible views. The trail was mostly marked with rock cairnes so it would be very easy to get turned around your first time here. We rode at a reasonable pace but I imagine these trails would be really cool if you knew them well and really went for it. We did a loop of Dead Ringer and Jem on the last day before heading out. It was okay, some fun parts but not a "destination trail" in my opinion. Probably best to do the full loop with Hurricane Rim but we didn't have time. Good times. Will be back for sure.
    We're you on Gooseberry Mesa point on Saturday? I was. That was easily the busiest day I have ever seen. Crazy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah. My friend who has been riding there for the last 10 years says he'd never seen anything like that.

Ambassador of Chub
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    ....I think the Hidden Canyon trail was my favorite part.

On a side note, I was there a couple weeks ago and while it wasn't as busy as it sounds like it was last weekend, it was still pretty busy. And while I think youth groups to get kids out mtn biking is about the best thing ever, someone needs to teach these groups (meaning the trip leaders) some trail etiquette. Group after group we ran into, all week long throughout the area, seemed to have no concept of it whatsoever. And unfortunately, I run into this in Utah more than any other state I bike in. If you're a trip leader - thank you for getting kids outside! And please teach them how to share the trail with others!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post

On a side note, I was there a couple weeks ago and while it wasn't as busy as it sounds like it was last weekend, it was still pretty busy. And while I think youth groups to get kids out mtn biking is about the best thing ever, someone needs to teach these groups (meaning the trip leaders) some trail etiquette. Group after group we ran into, all week long throughout the area, seemed to have no concept of it whatsoever. And unfortunately, I run into this in Utah more than any other state I bike in. If you're a trip leader - thank you for getting kids outside! And please teach them how to share the trail with others!
    I had to pull a group aside on JEM a couple of weeks ago. Gave the kids a quick rundown on ettiquite and then let their leaders have it. They were from the local troubled boys home.

I think the first thing any youth group should do before heading out to recreate in public is to have a quick chat on safety and ettiquite. Unfortunately most don't.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Did zen trail on Wed (11/22) and not crowed at all. Only saw a couple MTBers.

Then later that day we went to Zion NP and OMG! It was like Los Angeles there. Ridiculously crowed with people from every corner of the planet.

It was insane! I've never seen Zion so crowded in the fall.

mtbr member
    I hear Gooseberry Mesa is very nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Unfortunately, I didn't have time to explore Gooseberry... Next time for sure.

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Unfortunately, I didn't have time to explore Gooseberry... Next time for sure.
    What?! That's the number 1 trail in the area to hit. Definitely next time!

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Thread drift...I'll be there next year with my ten year old (who hates technical). Looking for other trails to hit besides JEM. Ideally looking for an out and back (without committing to a big loop).
    Anywhere in the area is fine.
    Whatchoogot?
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    Bearclaw Poppy, Prospector/Church Rocks (bit of a lollipop or can be out and back), Green Valley & GV Wash, Sidewinder, Wire Mesa would all be some good starters.
    2016 Stumpy 29er

Your Best Friend
    If he hates technical, your only other option is Bear Claw Poppy.

mtbr member
    If he hates technical, your only other option is Bear Claw Poppy.

Agreed. When my son was that age and disliked technical and climbing he loved Bear Claw Poppy Micro Loop and JEM (shuttled).
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Hmm...I never thought about JEM being shuttled. Any commercial services available?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hmm...I never thought about JEM being shuttled. Any commercial services available?
    Over the Edge bike shop at the bottom of the hill will shuttle you up. Also Mountain Bike Buddies. Hell, I'll do it if you want.

Last edited by Silentfoe; 11-29-2017 at 07:57 AM.

mtbr member
    My wife dropped us off up top and picked us up on Sheep Bridge Rd down in Virgin. Lame, but acceptable for small children and total wusses.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    My wife dropped us off up top and picked us up on Sheep Bridge Rd down in Virgin. Lame, but acceptable for small children and total wusses.
    It's an easy and fun 9 miles to knock out, especially on the way back from a Mesa ride.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Over the Edge bike shop at the bottom of the hill will shuttle you up. Also Mountain Bike Buddies. Hell, I'll do it if you want.

That's an amazing offer! I think kiddo would be good for about 6-8 miles if it is a bit downhill. Does this fit the bill? We would be camping with a travel trailer...would the best (bottom) spot be at the Virgin trailhead?

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

Your Best Friend
    That's an amazing offer! I think kiddo would be good for about 6-8 miles if it is a bit downhill. Does this fit the bill? We would be camping with a travel trailer...would the best (bottom) spot be at the Virgin trailhead?
    Yes, but you can't camp there. Coming from that direction, stay on Sheep Bridge road, follow it up the hill. As you crest and start going back down, there will be a dirt road on your right. Go down that about .3 to .5 miles. There is a large wash, camp there. The trail goes right through that area. Don't camo right in the wash though. Flash floods can hit.

mtbr member
    It's an easy and fun 9 miles to knock out, especially on the way back from a Mesa ride.

I usually do this for my buddies that haven't experienced it before. We normally do the whole ride from Virgin on our last day so that I can jump in the river at Falls Park before the drive back to SoCal. Heading out that way 1st thing in the morning!!
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

Your Best Friend
    I usually do this for my buddies that haven't experienced it before. We normally do the whole ride from Virgin on our last day so that I can jump in the river at Falls Park before the drive back to SoCal. Heading out that way 1st thing in the morning!!
    Nice. I'm actually on Guacamole right now, as I type this. Nearly 70 degrees and blue skies.

mtbr member
    Nice. I'm actually on Guacamole right now, as I type this. Nearly 70 degrees and blue skies.

Nice...we're staying with your partner in crime in Virgin. Hope to pull in by 2, dump some stuff and head straight to Wire Mesa. Our host says he's going to join us if nothing else comes up.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2017 Intense Primer

Ambassador of Chub

Nice. Have a little Salt on the Rim for me!

Your Best Friend
    Nice...we're staying with your partner in crime in Virgin. Hope to pull in by 2, dump some stuff and head straight to Wire Mesa. Our host says he's going to join us if nothing else comes up.
    Oh really? He just invited me along. I'll see you then!

Your Best Friend
    From today. I spent three hours trimming back bushes and didn't even get to the bad parts.