Kokopelli Trail - RV campsites- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Kokopelli Trail - RV campsites

Hi

Me and 3 more friends will do a mountain bike trip in Colorado and Utah in September. We are planing to do the Kokopelli Trail from Fruita to Moab in 3 days. We will travel with a supporting vehicle. The problem is that this vehicle is a large RV (32 feet long).

Doing this trail in 3 days, where do you suggest we stop? I think Cisco Boat Landing is a great place for the first night, but I am having trouble trying to find a good place for the second night, considering we have the RV.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english, I am Brazilian.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    We camped at Fisher Valley on our second night of the Kokopelli. The folks at Bikerpelli.com might be able to answer your question about getting an RV in there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    There's a campground at Dewey Bridge that can accomodate your RV.

Quote Originally Posted by rmfs66 View Post
    Hi

Me and 3 more friends will do a mountain bike trip in Colorado and Utah in September. We are planing to do the Kokopelli Trail from Fruita to Moab in 3 days. We will travel with a supporting vehicle. The problem is that this vehicle is a large RV (32 feet long).

Doing this trail in 3 days, where do you suggest we stop? I think Cisco Boat Landing is a great place for the first night, but I am having trouble trying to find a good place for the second night, considering we have the RV.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and sorry for my bad english, I am Brazilian.
    OVER the rocks, not around

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have done the Kokopelli many times and all 3 day trips. Bikerpelli uses the camp at Westwater off I-70 for the first night which is a 36 mile first day, then a long second day too Fischer valley. The section from Dewey Bridge up and over then down Rose Garden to Fischer Valley is a ball buster. Very scenic but tough. The last day up thee LaSals, lots of climbing with a relaxing cruise finish down Porcupine Rim.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    fruitafrank if you were going to do the Kokapelli in one big ride no stops no support, how would you do it. Is it possible to get water along the way?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Depending on the finish route you are looking at bout 150 miles total with the finish down Porcupine Rim trail so no cake finish. It is done in one Epic ride but I haven't. The best way would be some sag support with water and food along the way. You could pre-drive to sag points and stash water/food but then why not have a car/truck sag vehicle with a driver to supply you? We do it in 3 days and with that you have a 55mile+ day 3 with a bunch of climbing. If I would consider this I would train on the White Rim in 1 day with 100 miles and much less climbing then decide from there. Frank

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    reference
    Dave Weins did won an unofficial kokapelli race in under 13 hours. over 16k of climbing with some rough sections that would be a tall order for even 18 hours by mere mortals.
    Take your long lasting headlights. About half way you could filter the water near dewey bridge. You might find some streams up in the La Sals for water. Also about 10 miles into the ride you cross a river.