Kokopelli Trail, next weekend?- Mtbr.com
    viva la v-brakes!

Kokopelli Trail, next weekend?

Since it appears Moab itself will be a Jeep-infested nightmare next weekend, there are a couple of us here considering riding the Kokopelli Trail as a 3 day tour next weekend (April 15th, etc.). Anyone have any thoughts as to whether the higher elevations bits will be rideable by then? I know you usually can't depend on that until later, but it's been a dry winter here in Flagstaff, perhaps the same is true in Moab?

Also, I THINK we'll have two vehicles and be able to shuttle ourselves, where is a good place to leave a car in Moab for the weekend? And just in case we only have one car, what's a shuttle service we can use?

Oh, and what are the best maps and/or guidebooks to have? I have the COMPOBA map, but it's not detailed enough for route finding. Where can I get them either online or in Moab?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    I've done most of Kokopelli. Most of your questions I can't answer as a group of us friends went with our own support, but the best guidebook I've seen is "The Kokopelli Mountain Bike Trail" by Alex Hearn. I wish we would have had that last fall when we went. You can find it here: http://www.bikerpelli.com/Guidebook.htm

Another guidebook is by Peggy Utesch (sp?) and it's ok but fairly old, and there have been some changes since then. The BLM has 1:100,000 maps that have the trail (not completely correct) highlighted on them. Between Alex's book and the compoba map you should be able to make the corrections. The maps you need are Moab, Westwater, and Grand Junction. The same site that sells Alex's book has maps they say are good, but I don't have any experience with them. There is quite a bit of other information on the bikerpelli site though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Latitude 40 Maps

Go with the Latitude 40 maps. They are quite detailed, easy to read and "waterproof".

Latitude 40 Moab East ISBN#1-879866-09-9
    Latitude 40 Grand Junction ISBN#1-879866-18-8

Good luck with the ride. Let us all know how the trail conditions are (esp. how much snow there is).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473
    Also, I THINK we'll have two vehicles and be able to shuttle ourselves, where is a good place to leave a car in Moab for the weekend? And just in case we only have one car, what's a shuttle service we can use?
    Coyote Shuttle, good as any and better than most.
    You had better be carefull where you leave your car though, there is a huge car theft ring in Moab, 2 or 3 a day. I'm just kiddin dude, you could probably leave your car in the grocery store parking lot w/ the keys in the ignition and it would be there when you got back.

mtbr member

how much snow and mud do you want to ride through?

we were in Moab last weekend. We did lower porc singletrack. At the start was lots of mud with some patches of snow thrown in for fun. I can't imagine that it will be clear at 8000 feet by the weekend.

FWIW
    I just don't understand my wife....she thinks its nuts to ride when the temperature is in the 20's....go figure

viva la v-brakes!
    Thanks for the input folks. I just ordered the book and Latitude 40 maps from Bikerpelli. Now all I need to know is the trail condition specifics, I could probably call a shop if it comes to it to find out the dirty details.

I have now heard both Road Runner and Coyote shittles recommended. I'm leaning towards road runner since the Coyote always ends up smashed into a rock wall, falling off a cliff or chared from a dynamite explosion. But seriously, can anyone compare these shuttle services?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Fishman,

I will heading up from Phoenix on Thursday not sure what we will shuttle first but if there's room your more than welcome. Shoot me a PM if interested or look for a silver tacoma with AZ plates! We will also be heading to Fruita for one of the days as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

check at the bike shops on the shuttle.

When we took a shuttle to kokopelli last year there was only 1 shuttle option and it left at a particular time. Its about a 40 minute drive so the economics of only taking a few riders at at time doesn't work.

Your best best bet is to talk to bike shops or shuttle bus operators and find out what your options are. It's unlikely that multiple companies will be leaving at around the same time so its going to be more a function of who(if anyone) will take you when.
    TEX

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any updates on snow cover/mud on the Kokopelli doubletrack dropping down from the La Sal road? Got a few peeps who are going to shuttle it but the shuttle guys weren't sure; hopefully the warm temps will get the upper stuff rideable.

Members who have read this thread: 0