Kid Friendly Park City Rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Kid Friendly Park City Rides

I'll be in Park City for about 5 days next month, and was looking at getting my son out with me for a couple rides. He's 7 years old, and while I can get him to climb a little, everyone's lives will be easier if the ride is shorter, and there's a good payoff on the downhill. Currently, he's on a rigid 20" bike, and does best on low grade flow trails. When riding at home he's usually good for about 8 miles with 400(ish) feet of climbing.

I'm thinking I'll probably take him to Trailside Park for one day, but I'd also like to get him up for an easier alpine/backcountry style ride if I can find something that fits the bill. While I'm not opposed to shuttling or even lift assist stuff, ideally it wouldn't be my first option for him as I've noticed that he fatigues quickly on sustained steeper downhill stuff.

mtbr member
    You could start at the National ability center and explore Round Valley. Go up Matts Flat to Porcuclimb and Down Dog.

Moderator Moderator
    Round Valley, Lost Prospector, UOP.

If dry, the lower portions of PCMR might work (up Jenny's to whatever) but if you're limited to ~400 feet of climbing it might be tough to make a good loop.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Holy Roller at DV is about as good as it gets for low-grade beginner flow trails. I'm pretty sure you can buy a single-ride ticket for <$15.

You can also ride the free city bus up to the Empire Lodge. From there it's about 2 miles and 500 vert on Mid Mountain over to Jenni's which is a mellow descent down to the main Park City base area. That part of MM has some great sections.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks everyone! The Mid Mountain trail to Jenni's sounds like it may be perfect. For clarification, I don't think that the 400' is his limit, but it is what he's used to. Given enough time, breaks, and snacks(!) i'm sure he'll be able to expand that, but I don't want to put him in the middle of a long soul crushing climb, as I'd prefer to keep it fun for him.

Originally I was looking at doing a day at DV with him, but I'm concerned that the trail will encourage him to ride as fast as possible, and I'd like to point him towards a trail that sight lines require him to naturally modulate speed instead of encouraging him to ride wide open.

Thanks again for the ideas everyone!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless2k4 View Post
    Thanks everyone! The Mid Mountain trail to Jenni's sounds like it may be perfect. For clarification, I don't think that the 400' is his limit, but it is what he's used to. Given enough time, breaks, and snacks(!) i'm sure he'll be able to expand that, but I don't want to put him in the middle of a long soul crushing climb, as I'd prefer to keep it fun for him.

Originally I was looking at doing a day at DV with him, but I'm concerned that the trail will encourage him to ride as fast as possible, and I'd like to point him towards a trail that sight lines require him to naturally modulate speed instead of encouraging him to ride wide open.

Thanks again for the ideas everyone!
    Depending on when in June you are coming, MM may or may not actually be ridable. Check in before you arrive and we can give you a better idea on what's melted out.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless2k4 View Post
    If you get to Jenni's and he's still feeling good, you could consider going farther out MM to CMG or Spiro. Both are funner descents and will have less uphill traffic than Jenni's.

But, Walt brings up a good point. I hope you're coming out late in the month because it's going to be a while before MM is snow-free.

Moderator Moderator
    It'll depend on what happens with our storm this coming week, I think. If snow levels really drop below 7k like they're supposed to and it dumps the amounts the models are spitting out, it could put MM drying out back to like late June/early July.

The good news is that Round Valley will almost certainly be good to go (we've been riding there already for almost a month) so you'll have something to ride no matter what.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Frankly, I think Round Valley is a better choice for a 7 year old anyway. There's also the Dutch Hollow rides in Heber. I've never been on them, but I think there are some easier rides. Heber is also almost 1000 feet lower than PC.