Kamas High Star Ranch trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Kamas High Star Ranch trails

checked out what they had finished so far, everything in red was not open yet. so far I think what is being built here is going to be a prime example of how a proper mountain bike network should be designed, purpose built trails, with most being directional. nice work.
    Kamas High Star Ranch trails-high-star-ranchtrail-map-v2.jpg

none of the trails have names yet so i numbered them. the lowpoint/entrance is at the red arrow(enter here)...trail 1 is a blue up trail, not sure why its considered a blue, there was nothing challenging about it as of now. we then pedaled up trail 2, then up the directional loop number 3(high point of what was open). the green trails are buff and your standard xc single track. heading back down on trail 2 to trail number 4 was good flowy fun.

trail 4 is a directional blue descending trail. this trail was fantastic! nice work. I wish it were longer but obviously the network is not finished yet....we lapped this trail 3 times, it was that good!!. It has a good amount of tech, rocks, mixed in with high speed berms. this trail alone made the drive from slc worth it.

we then pedaled over to trail number 5, another blue descending trail. this trail was really short, not as exciting as trail number 4. but still very well designed, good flowy fun.

to ride all those trails and lapping trail number 4 (3 times) was about 2 hours'ish of riding which made it a worthy trip.

excited to ride the rest of the blue and black trails when this network is finally done. if they are anything like trail number 4 this place is going to rock!!! Hopefully the black trails will be steeper technical lines with some interesting features.

finally good to see some thought being put into a trail network and not just miles and miles of boring mind numbing xc singletrack.

laters

mtbr member
    Here's some more info on the entire South Summit area:
    Maps - South Summit Trails Foundation

I assume it's in Kamas, north of the turn into the Uintahs?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I assume it's in Kamas, north of the turn into the Uintahs?
    yeah the trails are north of town right behind High Star Ranch

I didn't do it
    So what's the deal with these trails? Are they legit? Anybody actually ridden there? I can't find much info on the trail network. I hope they're worth riding. Having a non Park City option would be nice.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookie View Post
    So what's the deal with these trails? Are they legit? Anybody actually ridden there? I can't find much info on the trail network. I hope they're worth riding. Having a non Park City option would be nice.

funny you asked, we were back out there yesterday, yeah these trails are legit. see my original post/initial observations.

There is some progress being made since our visit last year. Couple new trails and the up trail above number 3 has been started. Looking forward to the Downhill sections above number 3. Should add a decent amount of vertical once completed and a nice descent.

There is a new blue downhill section from the 3 trail that opened up since last time we were there. Its a little loose still, but it was really fun. Its fast with some short steep sections and some technical rock gardens thrown in. Lots of cool little lines and poppers to air off of.

They are doing a great job of utilizing natural features and adding rocks to make fun/interesting trails...the directional descending trails really encourage riders to carry speed and just rip through the trail! Its great to have all kinds of technical features to air off of and blast through and steeper sections.

The blue decent down from the 3 trail and trail 4 is a riot. IMO its designed really well and rides fast!

So nice to have some legit bike trails being built and not your lame sanitized xc trails that seem to plague the Park City and surrounding areas.

I think this place is going to be awesome when completed. Really looking forward to the Black trails. Nice work so far! More please!

I didn't do it
    Thanks for the update dmar. Your OP really piqued my interest. I'll have to head out there and check it out in the next couple weeks. Would you happen to know if there's an updated map floating around anywhere?
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    heres what they have built up so far...Its up on trailforks...so you can see compared to the other map what they have planned still to build.

Kamas High Star Ranch trails-hsrmap.jpg

The best climb/descent so far is: Up HSR Climb to HSR Loop(high point) then Down Upper HSR Blue DH trail, then down HSR super flow to bottom. repeat. Lapping that a few times makes the drive worth it. It gets better each lap just knowing the trail and the lines.

The HSR south flow is kinda meh. but worth checking out for extra mileage.

Not exactly sure whats up with HSR Mid climb blue trail, seems kinda a waist to me but whatev. IMO think they should change this to another descending only trail.

The only trails you really want to descend are the Blue ones, except HSR mid climb. The rest of the green trails are just more for access/climbing. You can do the upper HSR loop but its kinda boring xc meh. But again if your looking to explore the whole system/ put on some extra miles its not bad.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    FYI, the new upper blue section is newer and still a little loose, it also has some minor hoof damage from a cow or deer. But its still fast and fun and should only get better once it gets burned in proper like the lower section.

I didn't do it
    Thanks for the intel and details. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'll definitely get up there and check it out!
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Rode the newest black trail at HSR this weekend think its called "Oh Snap" ? on Trailforks... It was awesome, think its the best one yet! So many features and rollers to pop off of, with some tech mixed in...really fun!

Great to see directional purpose built trails with features that also utilizes the natural technical terrain... Nice work Sagebrush!

Frame Building Moderator
    Man, I gotta get out there... but it's so hard to motivate to get in the car.

As an aside, the newly restored Ant Farm is really, really fun.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post

-Walt
    Do you mean newly as of over a month ago, or has it been restored within the last couple of weeks?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post

-Walt
    Yeah thought they did a good job w Ant Farm, pretty fun. That whole area has tremendous potential.

On a side note anyone know if hikers are allowed on Drop Out or Ant Farm? Encountered a couple trail runners and a lady with an off leash dog on the trails. Doesn't seem like a good idea for hikers to be on those trails.

Also encountered a lady hiking up the Upper Upper section of the down flow trail at High Star Ranch, I know theres not supposed to be any uphill traffic on that. Need better signage and start politely informing people out on the trails....probably a lot of people still unfamiliar with the directional trail concept.

Frame Building Moderator
    No hiking on any of the Bob's basin trails except Fink Again/Bad Apple/24-7. The directional trails (Crazy 8s, Ant Farm, Team Cutthroat, Dropout) are all bike only and DH only. There is even a big sign with a skull and crossbones at the bottom! People ignore it, though. C'est la vie. At least there are good sight lines in general, though every time I hit the lip on the first rock jump on Ant Farm I wonder what would happen to someone on the other side, since I can't see where I'm headed at all.

-Walt