mtbr member
    Nov 2004

K-9 friendly trails-SLC+ info needed

Looks like I will be moving to SLC area in Mid to late summer. I'm already studying up on the trails and from what I'm reading I'm gonna be stoked! Where I am in upstate NY I can ride with Sammy the dog just about anywhere I want. From what I've read big and little cottonwood canyons and some other spots outlaw bringing your pooch for a ride. Are they really keen on enforcing those rules or do the kinda turn a blind eye to a happy dog running behind the bike? Are there any areas/trails that dogs are allowed on in the general area? Finally, where would be a good spot to live where I'm fairly close to work (lehi), bike distance to good trails and not too long a haul from the Bird in the wintertime. Is Sandy a good choice?

Thanks in advance,
    The Fugitive

mmm bacon

Some answers

The link is to the wasatch forest service website. The Cottonwoods, at least Big Cottonwood are not dog freindly, because they are a watershed as is Bell Canyon. Millcreek is dog friendly and on odd days I believe that dogs are allowed possibly off leash.

As for a good place to live, that depends on your cash flow, SLC is dog friendly (everyone has one, at least the cool people) unfortunately the majority of landlords are not, Sandy is close to both lehi and the bird, I would suggest looking at the snowbird website for seaonsal rentals or persons who are looking for roomates, unless you intend to buy or live alone. If you are looking for on the cheap, deals can be found for rentals on the west side, Rose Park and West Valley, some tend to stay away from that area due to personal reasons but a home is what you make it. All areas are close to the expressway and from where I live in the Rose park, Capitol Hill area I'm at the mountain in 30 or less.35 to lehi.Oh yeah by the way I grew up on Long Island so traffic here is always light to me.
    JK

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/wcnf/unit/sl...k_picnic.shtml

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks!

I'm glad the traffic is light, nothing like getting mangled on the LIE, I sat still for an hour once!

It doesn't look like cash flow will be a problem for me for a change, I'm actually looking to buy a place. I've got a friend who lives in Sandy and works at the Bird so I'll probably end up in that area. How close is Sandy to Mill Creek? Any good LBS in that area?

Thanks,
    The Fugitive

mmm bacon
    As per Sandy to Millcreek, we'll say from 10600 south state street to 3900 south 3000 east or so, 15 minutes Mapquest those coordinates and it'll give you a rough idea, as for bike shops my LBS is Go-ride (shameless plug), they always have time to help out be it either a bolt or a whole bike, as for sandy you have Canyon Bikes on 12300 south and 300 east and REI on at the fashion place mall both are um, okay depending on your needs. Just a point of knowledge from my last and only corporate job, Utah foreclosures average about 300 per month, if you have the means buy a short sell. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
    JK

Members who have read this thread: 0