Just browsing some SLC area trails online and found this one.- Mtbr.com
    2006 Yeti AS-X

Just browsing some SLC area trails online and found this one.

Bobsled Shoreline... Looks fast, flowy, and fun. One of those trails I would like to hit up if I am ever in the area.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/spCtz0PrB7E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/spCtz0PrB7E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    It is a good trail although most of us try to not ride while there is a river flowing down the middle of it like the guy in this video.
    "Donuts. Is there anything they can't do?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pop_martian
    It is a good trail although most of us try to not ride while there is a river flowing down the middle of it like the guy in this video.
    Really?

Aye Aye Captain Bobsled. . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Really?

I guess at least one of us tries to not ride muddy trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Agreed.

That was way to wet to be ridden. How did things turn out up there last fall? I did not ride the bobsled at all since last summer when there was some sort of feud going on. Did the top section ever get smoothed out, or did any of the stunts get finished?
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Wow, that's the worst shape I've ever seen Bobsled. The runoff rut is nasty in some places.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The trail got a lot better late in the season. Stunts were finished and then torn down. I actually just heard yesterday that it's a father of a kid who got really hurt on Bobsled who tore all the stunts out. Apparently he lives near the exit and his kid smashed his face pretty bad last year..

It's a great rail for being so close to the city, but that also is one of it's downfalls if you know what I mean.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tmeyer
    The trail got a lot better late in the season. Stunts were finished and then torn down. I actually just heard yesterday that it's a father of a kid who got really hurt on Bobsled who tore all the stunts out. Apparently he lives near the exit and his kid smashed his face pretty bad last year..

It's a great rail for being so close to the city, but that also is one of it's downfalls if you know what I mean.
    Any way that we can remind this guy that his son is not the only person to use this trail?

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Tell the old man that you cannot blame the trail or the stunt for what happened to his son because his son chose to try the stunts.

From all the video footage I have seen, all the stunts have a ride around so you are not forced to do the stunt so the kid should have known to ride within his limits. If the kid didn't know this, then shame on dad for not teaching him this.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by ski_adk
    Any way that we can remind this guy that his son is not the only person to use this trail?
    Or perhaps a tutorial on safety gear?

Bored Carp
    My understanding is that the tear out was official. The wooden stunts have garnered the notice of community officials and they are monitoring the area for additional building this spring.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    My only gripe with the way the tear-out went down last year was that it wasn't well marked and you couldn't tell the stunts were screwed up until you were on them. Luckily, I didn't get suckered into the broken ramps, but man, the way they destroyed those features was more dangerous than the features themselves.

In regards to this spring, who is the infamous "they" and what are "they" looking for and then what are "they" doing about things?

mtbr member
    May 2009

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wood

When were wooden features built and where were they? I never saw any wood except a couple small less then 2 ft drops. All of the features that I saw where the dirt jumps around the cars and the drops at the bottom.

PM me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    When were wooden features built and where were they? I never saw any wood except a couple small less then 2 ft drops. All of the features that I saw where the dirt jumps around the cars and the drops at the bottom.
    Watch the video again. At 1:58 you can see the remnants of one of the wooden features.

Edit: Or at 2:00 you can see the structure in tact, although the rider misses it.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Really?

Thanks for that Dave. Your post speaks volumes about what kind of rider you are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the edit as I didn't realize I had set a pattern of "ruining threads" and actually feel I have something to contribute.

What kind of rider am I? Do you know? I know exactly who you are and you know me whether you realize it or not and I doubt you would say that to my face if you realized it. . . Sorry, something just goes off inside my brain when I see the angry-finger-waving emoticon on mtbr. Just kills me. In another thread Scott was just talking about riding around the zoo the other day and pedalfaraway jumped all over him. Don't you think people can use some judgment and not be constantly preached down to on the internet? And it carries over to the trail. There's always somebody out there telling everyone else how they should ride their bike and always spouting out absolute maxims about when to ride trails. There's room for judgement.

Peace

I'd rather be biking...
    No gloves...? Hummmm..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Agreed there is room for judgement

however posting on a forum that a trail can be ridden makes other people who may or may not use good judgement try it out. I will admit maybe my finger shaking was a little uncalled for. However you have to admit that in the video bobsled was in no shape to be ridden and that guy deserves a finger shaking.

PM me

Your Best Friend
    Every year, about this time, the internet forums erupt in anger over people riding on muddy trails. Be patient, stay out of the mud and find a better place to ride. Eventually the trails dry out and we can ride them. If someone is dumb enough to tell others that they are riding in areas that are fragile, then they deserve to be called out. Hopefully everyone gets out at least once this year, just to do some trail maintenance.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the edit as I didn't realize I had set a pattern of "ruining threads" and actually feel I have something to contribute.

What kind of rider am I? Do you know? I know exactly who you are and you know me whether you realize it or not and I doubt you would say that to my face if you realized it. . . Sorry, something just goes off inside my brain when I see the angry-finger-waving emoticon on mtbr. Just kills me. In another thread Scott was just talking about riding around the zoo the other day and pedalfaraway jumped all over him. Don't you think people can use some judgment and not be constantly preached down to on the internet? And it carries over to the trail. There's always somebody out there telling everyone else how they should ride their bike and always spouting out absolute maxims about when to ride trails. There's room for judgement.

Peace
    I know who you are and what kind of rider you are. I know that you were sitting behind me during the Kranked showing a few weeks ago at OBT. I edited because I thought about what I wrote after I typed it, and decided that less prickishness is a good thing. I am working on that.

I understand where you are coming from about the preachiness on the internet. However, it seems like there is a sufficient number of riders that frequent this forum who have not been riding as long as you and I and may not understand just how much damage can be done to riding trails that are wet. Therefore, even if you and I and half the other people in this thread know not to ride on wet trails, maybe someone who doesn't know that will read this thread.

It seems like no matter how many threads there are every year reminding people to not ride wet trails, people still ride wet trails - some people because they don't care, others because they don't know. And it also seems like a little self-regulation among ourselves for all things mtb in the Wasatch, not just riding wet trails, will go a long way in improving the sustainability and future of our riding opportunities - no matter how redundant the threads or messages seem to be.

Peace to you too. We should go and ride soon. I agree to stop the internet banter and bull, and instead find common ground in the sport that we all love. (yes, I am shedding a tear right now...)

Mike

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Does that mean that if you see me riding down Clark's with my tires caked in mud, leaving a huge rut down the middle of the trail, that you won't say anything to me (or call me out)?

That seems odd. I agree that we shouldn't call people out, but we should as trail stewards encourage others to employ proper trail etiquette and respect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux
    Does that mean that if you see me riding down Clark's with my tires caked in mud, leaving a huge rut down the middle of the trail, that you won't say anything to me (or call me out)?

That seems odd. I agree that we shouldn't call people out, but we should as trail stewards encourage others to employ proper trail etiquette and respect.
    Totally would call you out. Although, I probably shouldn't be out there to be able to call you out if the dirt is like that. . .

No, I'm more miffed about people telling me what pedals I should use, what kind of bike I should be using on a given trail, called "stupid" for pedaling up Puke Hill with helmet on camelback, when I should yield (when I'm the one yielding. . .), those who won't yield when going so slow as to make a descent unfun, those who demand to pass (which I happily oblige) only to run out of gas and need to be passed themselves, hikers who say "you're scary" when I have shut it down to 1.5 mph 10 yds from them, dogma about wet trails when a lot of our trails get ridden by pretty much everybody when there are sections of creek running down them because, in some cases***, the creek is doing the damage - not the riders. All of the above happened to me last season except the camelback thing (that was a friend three seasons ago).

That being said, there are some morons (or perhaps just uneducated souls) out there like the ones described by Wasea in SW UT from last week. I was out riding down there that day. It was totally raining. I happened to be on a slickrock and sand trail and don't feel remotely guilty about riding it and would have turned around if I did. But to ride dirt stunts and crush the jumps with ruts (and they probably cased the jump anyway cause it's so slow) - well, that needs some talkin' to.

Damn, I'm ready to ride!

***these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by drboudreaux

I hope that wasn't in response to my previous post. If it is, read it again.

Bored Carp
    Pretty easy to tell who is out riding powder and who is sitting in a dark basement waiting for spring... ha. :-)
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

ride more.
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe
    I hope that wasn't in response to my previous post. If it is, read it again.
    You said: If someone is dumb enough to tell others that they are riding in areas that are fragile, then they deserve to be called out.

Your statement referred to the person being called out as the person who is dumb enough to tell others that they are riding in fragile areas, not to call out the person who is riding in the fragile area.

If you meant to say that the person riding in the fragile area is dumb, I agree. If you meant to say that the person calling out the rider is dumb (which is what you said), that is what I was referring to in my post.

chuky - thanks for rubbing it in my face that I have a nice view of the mountains from my office. I am getting up tomorrow, sinus infection or not.

Members who have read this thread: 0