Just Booked Camping in Moab- Mtbr.com
    Life's a Garden, dig it!

Just Booked Camping in Moab

I've been wanting to do this for a long time and finally decided that if I didn't book it, it wasn't going to mysteriously just happen.

Three buddies and myself are dragging my 24' camper and our bikes to Moab starting wed, Oct. 7th and coming home on Monday the 12th. I've booked the campground with full hook ups but I really don't know anything about the place. The online reviews were all the way from hated it to loved it, so I rolled the dice.

We're all 50-ish and don't heal as quick as we once did, so we're primarily looking for cross country types of trails. I'm open to suggestions from those in the know.

Chuck

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The top three rides in Moab for me are:

1. Whole Enchilada or as much as possible.
    2. Amasa Back/ Captain Ahab (More technical riding so this may not be your style)
    3. Klondike Bluff trails (More XCish type riding)

I know most people don't like the slick rock trail, but I would at least ride part of it just for the experience.

I'm not sure where the mixed reviews are coming from. I have been rained on the last three times I have gone, but each time I keep kicking myself for not riding in Moab more and can't wait to get back.

mtbr member
    Not sure where you're from or what you consider to be XC riding but compared to what I consider XC riding in the SoCal area, Moab doesn't have a lot of that from what I saw but there's a lot out there so I'm sure the Moab experts will answer up here. The trails up at Dead Horse State Park are definitely XC and while not the most challenging trail system, the *fun factor* was huge. I rode up there with my lower intermediate daughter and she loved it. To be honest, it was probably the most fun I had in Moab...and yes, I did Amasa/Ahab, The Whole Enchilada and Slickrock. TWE definitely has sections of techy terrain but overall is XC'ish and the lower Porcupine Rim was phenomenal but the multiple miles of fire road turned me off. I enjoyed Slickrock as it was much more challenging than I expected.
    Last edited by k2rider1964; 07-09-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Thanks guys. The mixed reviews I mentioned were specific to the camp ground that I booked.

The trails I'm used to are moderately technical with fair amount of climbing. Having a cross country geometry on both my SS hardtail and my Santa Cruz Superlight, I'm probably not equipped to handle much of what I've seen of Porcupine, but it would be worth a look.

We'll have two full days of riding and probably a half of the first day. I'll read the reviews on what you've suggested.

Thanks!

Chuck

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The Brand trails and Klonzo trails are fun XC systems. Check them out at utahmountainbiking.com

I didn't do it
    You should look into the Magnificent Seven trails as well.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    For the many of the trail mentioned, the elevation profile are constant small up and down. A 4" xc bike will be a great bike to ride trails like klonzo, brand, klondike Navajo rocks, etc.

I prefer a bigger bike for rides with a sustained Dh like twe, amasa, etc.

But it's hard not to have fun no matter what bike you bring or what trails you pick.

Just an observation, Most of the classic moab rides, white rim, kokopellis, procuring rim, etc... are double track. Others like slick rock, Bartlett, and Monitor Merrimack are open rock areas and you can ride anywhere you want. These are the trails that made moab a Mecca of the sport. Riding them does requires a different mindset.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Good advice above but Amasa / Ahab and much of Porky are technical rock trails and not the best options for a hard tail. (Been there, done that.) Wear a kidney belt :-)

I would ride EZ, Lazy, and North 40 at the Brand Trails just north of town to warm up. Also try Rockin A and Circle O for lots of slick rock riding there. Bar B is also a favorite. There is something for everyone on the Brand Trails.

The next day play on the Klonzo trails and if you have the energy do the Dino Flow in Klondike just north of there.

The final day ride the practice loop on the Slick Rock Bike Trail and let that settle into your brain until you return to Moab, and you will. After a good lunch go up to Deadhorse State Park and ride those trails.

You'll find some technical rock riding on most of these trails but you'll find mostly flowy XC with few significant climbs.

The other option is to rent an enduro or trail bike in Moab and do the rocky stuff like Porky and Mag 7. That may be better for a future trip.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    What campground are you concerned about? One of the RV parks?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Thanks for the replies guys!

JM, I booked "Slickrock Campground" even though the reviews were all over the map. There's plenty of time for me to change with no penalties, if you can recommend something.

Thanks!

Chuck

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I've stayed at the Slickrock CG several times. It was OK except on a Memorial Day weekend when they accepted way too many campers and didn't have enough staff to keep the bathrooms clean. They have nice hot tubs and a good restaurant near the entrance. Also, lots of shade. The RV, tent, and cabins are a step down from many others but serviceable and not bad.

Our preference is Moab Valley RV Resort just north of Slickrock or their sister property downtown, Canyonlands. They have enough toilets and showers for a crowd. Moab Valley lacks shade for many sites so not a good option in the summer but big views so our first choice for spring and fall. Canyonlands has lots of shade and you can walk to Moab Brewery.

KOA to the south is very nice but not enough restrooms for the size of the park. Also, each restroom includes a shower and a toilet and sink, so if someone is shaving they also tie up a shower. The others separate them. We won't return to KOA unless desperate.

Arches is well north of town with a great location but we've never stayed there. We like being closer to town. It is a sister property to Moab Valley so probably well maintained and very good facilities.

Moab Valley has a big jetted hot pool.

There are other places and we've checked them all but these are the better ones. We stay in RV park cabins or our tent. There is an RV park for only RV's behind Slickrock that is high end but we haven't been to it.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Thanks JM, I really appreciate the feedback. I'm liking the idea of a little more shade in Slickrock CG. I'm guessing it will still be pretty hot in early October.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Weather varies in the desert but temps are usually mild in October in Moab. Great time to visit there!

The big Outerbike bike festival is the weekend before your Moab trip. We may be there for that and the following week when you are there. Not sure yet. I've already booked camping and motel for the Red Bull Rampage in Virgin and St. George, UT the following week.

Perpetual n00b
    Navajo Rocks off of 313 is pretty good XC as well.
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

mtbr member
    Looks like you got good trail suggestions. I'll just add that Slickrock should be a decent place with a camper. It's pretty bad for tent camping though.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Okay guys, I'm heading your way in 5 days. My buddies and I are super stoked to be doing this. Anybody in the area, drop me a line and we could meet up for a ride or a beer.

Speaking of beer, the last time I was in Utah, I seem to remember only finding 3.2. Is that correct, or is my memory flawed? I'm planning on bringing some IPAs no matter what. I think I'll even stop and get a case of Pliny.

Cheers!

Chuck
    "And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called, The Human Race..."

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Okay guys, I'm heading your way in 5 days. My buddies and I are super stoked to be doing this. Anybody in the area, drop me a line and we could meet up for a ride or a beer.

Speaking of beer, the last time I was in Utah, I seem to remember only finding 3.2. Is that correct, or is my memory flawed? I'm planning on bringing some IPAs no matter what. I think I'll even stop and get a case of Pliny.

Cheers!

Chuck
    Just order in bottles, not on tap. Utah has some good beer these days. Don't miss out on the Epic.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Picture Unrelated

Cheers!

Chuck
    Quick Utah beer refresher (seems to change almost every year):
    Beer on draft must be 3.2% ABW (that's weight which works out to around 4.0% ABV which is how most beers are actually labeled). No exceptions.
    Beer sold at grocery stores or convenience stores in bottles and cans must be 3.2% ABW.
    Beer sold in bottles or cans at liquor stores may be any alcohol percentage, no restriction.

Don't miss Moab Brewery's bottle releases or anything from the Utah breweries which can be hard to find out of state (or, depending on where you are, easier to find out of state than in). If you think Utah is all 3.2 then you owe it to your post-ride muscles to send yourself to sleep through a bottle of Uinta's Labyrinth. Epic is great, Squatters and Wasatch are great, there's no lack of good Utah brews.

If you get sick of those Pilnys I can probably help you out with that! The biggest problem with only 3.2 beer on tap is that many breweries won't distribute to us; stupid Ruination, I didn't like you anyway...
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Thanks for the refresher!

I actually figured I'd bring some locally available IPAs (Lil Sumthin, Racer 5, Pliny, etc...) and make them available to some degree as trading stock...

Picture Unrelated
    Thanks for the refresher!

I actually figured I'd bring some locally available IPAs (Lil Sumthin, Racer 5, Pliny, etc...) and make them available to some degree as trading stock...
    Lagunitas does distribute in UT but Russian River does not. Sadly Bear Republic quit distribution here not long ago also. I loves me some Racer 5. Making me thirsty...

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    We had a great Outerbike again this fall but raining today, Monday. Many Moab area trails, especially sandy or slick rock trails, will be ridable tomorrow, Tuesday. I've been riding for a week in Fruita and Moab and needed a break day anyway :-) Coffee houses were packed all morning as the rain washed out other plans.

Utah has great beer! I need to have less :-)

PM me if you want to talk bikes or Moab trails over Utah beer. I'm shooting video all week for my Trail Analysis for Intermediates series on YouTube so no fun to ride with.

Jim

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I'll bring my tablet and will be hoping for a decent Wifi signal at the campground. I'm leaving in 24 hours and would like to pick your brain if possible. One of my buddies bailed (sorta figures, I guess), but there will be three of us.

Chuck

pedlr
    Areas to ride in moab which are better when soggy:

navajo rocks, especially ramblin and big mesa, which are much better when wet.

The new horsethief trails. They are so new they are still loose; much better when wet.

Salt wash, a trail that parallels sovereign trail. A pretty gnarly ride, which i've always liked, but currently torn up by motos and lack of trail maintenance.

slick rock practice loop, because the sand pit turns into hero sand.

Mag 7, because the sand bailout to 191 is easier when wet.

fwiw, Poison spider, because the long sandpatch becomes rideable. But there are still many better trails to ride.

monitor and merrimac.

pedlr
    Trails to avoid when wet;

singletrack at Bar M and at Klonzo and klondike.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Good to know... From what the weather reports are showing, we should be nice and dry. How accurate do you consider these reports?

pedlr
    Accurate enough, you're gonna have great weather. Enjoy!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Thank you! I've got to say, we are STOKED for this.

mtbr member
    Weather's gonna be really nice this weekend. I am headed down there this weekend as well, although for hiking w/ the family -- no bikes this trip. Have fun!
    '19 Ibis Ripmo
    '13 Felt Z4

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    I believe I'm on the hook for a ride/post trip report. I'm working on one, but for now I can say the trip was incredible! I love the bike vibe in Moab and we met a bunch of really nice folks.

We rode The Mag 7 the first day as a warm up (specifically Getaway and Bull Run) for The Whole Enchilada. Rode TWE on Friday and survived. Then on Saturday we took our tired bodies to Amasa Back and rode Hymasa and Lower Ahab. The scenery was awesome.

Fun stuff for sure. More to come!

Picture Unrelated
    I believe I'm on the hook for a ride/post trip report. I'm working on one, but for now I can say the trip was incredible! I love the bike vibe in Moab and we met a bunch of really nice folks.

We rode The Mag 7 the first day as a warm up (specifically Getaway and Bull Run) for The Whole Enchilada. Rode TWE on Friday and survived. Then on Saturday we took our tired bodies to Amasa Back and rode Hymasa and Lower Ahab. The scenery was awesome.

Fun stuff for sure. More to come!
    Well, you went right to the serious business; no messing around!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Yeah zebrahum. After they rode TWE they seemed beat so I suggested the wonders of Navajo Rocks over a couple of beers at their campsite. Nope, they are into self-abuse!

:-)

I'm in St. George, UT now and rode Gooseberry Mesa again today with my wife. We love Moab but The Goose can't be beat. Nothing like it anywhere else. Chuck and his buddies need to hang out here for a few days and sample the delights. Hidden Canyon Trail will challenge them!

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Hey Jim,

I enjoyed meeting you. You're right though, we were beat from doing TWE that day. After a burger and that Lagunitas Little Sumthin that we had with you, we crashed. I think we all hit the sack around 8:30 or 9:00.

There's something very satisfying about pushing your limits. I rode stuff that I didn't know I could do. When you come from another area you really don't know how or if your skills transfer. I guess I'm glad that we didn't know we were riding over our heads when we booked TWE
    Last edited by chuckha62; 10-19-2015 at 10:05 AM.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Well Chuck, I was in the hot tub here at Moab Valley RV Resort last night and met some much younger studs who did TWE then Ahab the next day. Not only younger but they bike the Colorado Front Range weekly. Still, they were beat. You should feel good about your stamina!

I decided to return to Moab yesterday, Sunday, for a week based on a generally good weather outlook. This morning's outlook is now rain all week. Last March I wanted to come here to Poison Spider's Thaw event and Outerbike but the weather outlook was bad. Both events had perfect weather.

Anyway, hoping to get some trail time this week.

Great riding in the Zion area last week and two wonderful days at the Red Bull Rampage! I wish I could afford to live on the road like this for 2 - 3 months a year.

Jim