June in Park City area- Mtbr.com

Sep 2004

June in Park City area

Hey Utah knobby-folk, I am hoping some nice soul will take 2 mins and let me (rider from Santa Barbara) know what trail info sources I should peruse prior to my trip to Park City area. I see that Deer Valley has trails to ride and the lift-thing looks cool (having never done it) but I know that locals can steer me towards the lesser known gems and away from potential kook-ville crowded trails. I have done the same for riders coming to SB and our backcountry.

After 3-4 days in PC area in late june I will head down to Brian Head for 4 days or so. Have ridden goose, moab (in the old days of hard tail/forks and then last year with FS - porc rim/slickrock/amasa were way more fun with rear and front travel!!), and thunder mtn all of which were sublime. Y'all have some kicka** riding in that state. Any thoughts or steering towards good info sites/books/maps/LBS would be greatly appreciated. Muchos gracias amigos!

mtbr member

Park City's Prime Cuts $14.95
    NEW! Park City's Prime Cuts by Charlie Sturgis and Mark Fischer, 2004, 108 pages. This is the definitive guide to Park City's trails. It details 20 rides in the Park City region, ranked into five difficulty levels with about 4 trails each. By-the-mile trail directions are very detailed; elevation graphs are included. Features expert tips and tricks by national champion mtn. biker Todd Henneman. Spiral binding lets this book lie flat, and the thick pages resist damage on-trail. For Park City riding without a local guide, buy this book.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/sh...ainbiking.html

Also try this website, look for the Park City, Uintahs link on the left side.
    http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/

I have not been to PC myself, so that's all I got!
    Last edited by Shannon-UT; 03-23-2005 at 03:44 PM.

Mar 2004

Stop in Cole Sport or Jans

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo
    Hey Utah knobby-folk, I am hoping some nice soul will take 2 mins and let me (rider from Santa Barbara) know what trail info sources I should peruse prior to my trip to Park City area. I see that Deer Valley has trails to ride and the lift-thing looks cool (having never done it) but I know that locals can steer me towards the lesser known gems and away from potential kook-ville crowded trails.
    on your way into town and pick up the P.C. trail map for a small donation. I used to live in UT and biked PC fairly frequently. Never had any problems with crowded trails. PC is really pretty in June...very green. I would wait until late June though, snowpack may still be lingering early on in the month. Definitely head up to Desolation Lake. It is worth the grind up.

Sep 2004

Thanks

I appreciate the info. Very helpful to get the most trail time out of a busy family trip. Coming from sea level should make the grind up to Desolation that much more blood curdling but we have some long climbs around here to get ready so maybe I'll just ride with sock in my mouth the next few rides to get ready for the lack of O2! Thanks again and happy trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Primecuts

That book is awesome for getting riders oriented in Park City! I've only been here a few years and I used it all last summer.

They included a few rides just east of here in the Uintahs but most people wouldn't like those.

Unless you like high speed stream crossings, overgrown trails because they are so little used, every kind of terrain imaginable, rocks, roots, did I mention the 12 stream crossings on one of the rides, rolling meadows singletrack, steep downhills, some nice fireroads to ascend, etc. Both of the times I have been out there we encountered 0 other riders. Both of the times I have been out there at least 4/5ths of the group has gone over their bars at least once.

They are just north of Duschenne, from what I hear a lovely place to live

Ridin in UT
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo
    I appreciate the info. Very helpful to get the most trail time out of a busy family trip. Coming from sea level should make the grind up to Desolation that much more blood curdling but we have some long climbs around here to get ready so maybe I'll just ride with sock in my mouth the next few rides to get ready for the lack of O2! Thanks again and happy trails.
    Desolation lake is beautiful indeed. From there you could hit some of the Wasatch crest or even ride down into park city if you wanted, if you could get transportation over to Big Cottonwood. It is a grind up from the Mill D trailhead, but fun! we did it last year as our first ride in UT coming from MI.
    Maybe try plugging one nostril and only breathing through your nose for your training rides! There's riding at 8000 feet for ya.
    have fun!

mtbr member
    There's still quite a bit of snow...I suspect some of the trails (crest) won't open until mid-late june. However, there's still enough riding at lower elevation to keep you busy for a couple of days. Stop by one of the bike shops in PC for a free map.