July Riding- Mtbr.com

Thread: July Riding

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

July Riding

Ok ... so I've got the month of July free this summer and would like if possible to ride southern UT/ northern AZ (Moab/Glen/Sedona/Flagstaff area). I was wondering what that might be like. Would the temperatures be too high to ride here? Should I just stay home in the shady east coast or sack up and ride some desert?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    You can ride year-round in Moab as long as you are done with your ride by about 9 or 10AM. The best time of day in the desert is sunrise, IMO.

The other locations you mention are significantly higher and should be hot but not unbearable.

JMH

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    You can ride year-round in Moab as long as you are done with your ride by about 9 or 10AM. The best time of day in the desert is sunrise, IMO.

The other locations you mention are significantly higher and should be hot but not unbearable.

JMH

After 10am your bike turns into a pumpkin again eh?

so I am assuming long rides begin before sunrise...if its all about beating the sun...

mtbr member

JMH
    You can always ride up in the La Sals. Burro Pass and Hazard County are in the 7500 to 9500' range. Should be much cooler than other Moab areas.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by rushtrack
    After 10am your bike turns into a pumpkin again eh?

so I am assuming long rides begin before sunrise...if its all about beating the sun...
    Heh, yeah. A blazing 103 sun pumpkin.

After 10am your margin for error decreases dramatically. Get lost for two hours, bust a wheel or run out of water and you might survive if it isn't the middle of the day. I call it the three error rule. One error is riding at noon. The second error is having a mechanical. The third error (realizing too late that you didn't eat or drink enough, and you "just need to sit down for a minute in the shade under this bush") has a pretty good chance of killing you.

JMH

Jun 2007
    SAC UP

I can't amagine it being any worse than snobird on one of the canyon closing days. You might think your about to die but thats the fun part.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

What he said

Heh, yeah. A blazing 103 sun pumpkin.

After 10am your margin for error decreases dramatically. Get lost for two hours, bust a wheel or run out of water and you might survive if it isn't the middle of the day. I call it the three error rule. One error is riding at noon. The second error is having a mechanical. The third error (realizing too late that you didn't eat or drink enough, and you "just need to sit down for a minute in the shade under this bush") has a pretty good chance of killing you.

JMH
    103 degrees or more, usually more. The error of having a mechanical cannot be understated. Stuck out there having to walk back to civilization ("think I'll just sit under this bush...") and they find your body in a couple of days. Don't laugh, it happens all the time in the desert.

Up in the La Sals it's 5 degrees cooler for every 1000' of elevation gain so at 10k feet it's not too bad. I live in Colorado, though, and I don't need to go to Moab to ride in the mountains. Go to some high elevation town in Colorado if July is the only month you've got off. Save Moab for March/April or late September/October. Remember, it's the heat, not the humidity.

I railed it like Kong
    Flagstaff isn't too bad in the mornings. Also check out Sunrise, AZ for some great downhill action, lift assisted.

Brianhead Utah does lift runs and shuttle runs for some cooler temp mountain rides. Some of the runs are 12 miles or more so you do get to pedal and not just coast downhill the whole time.

Hit the desert stuff in early AM and then drive to the mountains in the afternoon.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    yeah im not sure why everyone is so set on riding moab that they have to do it even if july is there only time off....Im also sure if you had searched this at all you would have seen hundreds of posts saying how hot it is.

That said its really not worth going to moab in july, there are hundreds of other places that are better suited for july riding(see any mountain towns in CO, UT, ID, WY, MO ect) so that you can save your moab trip for fall or spring where you will get to ride all day in 75 degree temps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Ten day forecast for Moab as of June 29

101 to 109 degrees everyday. And it'll only get hotter later in July. Crested Butte sounds nice, though.

Members who have read this thread: 0