July 8 SLC epic ride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

July 8 SLC epic ride?

I will be in SLC the first week of July. I have arranged to have Thursday the 8th free for an all day ride. I am tentatively planning to do Wasatch Crest. I would like to shuttle up to Silver Ford lodge and ride up to Gaurdsman Pass. I am also open to other epic ride ideas. The elevation will hurt me on the climbs and duration. I think I will still be good for 5-6 hours of ride time. If I don't find anyone willing to share a shuttle with me, I will just do a loop from the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon.

I would also enjoy some post ride social fun. This will be the one day dad gets to cut loose. If anyone is open for an all day ride, let me know. I just picked the Wasatch Crest trail because it was obvious.

I will probably be able to cut out for a shorter ride on Sunday.

Jan 2004

snow?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydown
    I will be in SLC the first week of July. I have arranged to have Thursday the 8th free for an all day ride. I am tentatively planning to do Wasatch Crest. I would like to shuttle up to Silver Ford lodge and ride up to Gaurdsman Pass. I am also open to other epic ride ideas. The elevation will hurt me on the climbs and duration. I think I will still be good for 5-6 hours of ride time. If I don't find anyone willing to share a shuttle with me, I will just do a loop from the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon.

I would also enjoy some post ride social fun. This will be the one day dad gets to cut loose. If anyone is open for an all day ride, let me know. I just picked the Wasatch Crest trail because it was obvious.

I will probably be able to cut out for a shorter ride on Sunday.
    How is the Crest doing for snow?

I haven't heard that it is "open" yet .... if it is, let me know!!!

May 2004
    Rode up to Dog Lake from 38th on Wed. There were still quite a few snow piles on Big Water, but nothing too bad. Weather has been really hot the past couple of days, so things are melting out very quick. Should be no problem at all by July. I'm thinking of giving it a try in about a week.

DirtyDown, I'm definitely open for something epic.

Where are you coming from? How much experience do you have riding at high altitudes?

There are a ton of great epic alpine rides in the area, a lot of which are ridable even now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

from Oregon

I live and ride in the Eugene, Oregon area. Most of the riding is below 4000'. I am expecting to suffer tremedously for the first hour. After that if I let my lungs have some recovery time, I should be good for the rest of the day. I have never had any other physical problems from high elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by ClydesdaleSports
    Rode up to Dog Lake from 38th on Wed. There were still quite a few snow piles on Big Water, but nothing too bad. Weather has been really hot the past couple of days, so things are melting out very quick. Should be no problem at all by July. I'm thinking of giving it a try in about a week.

DirtyDown, I'm definitely open for something epic.

Where are you coming from? How much experience do you have riding at high altitudes?

There are a ton of great epic alpine rides in the area, a lot of which are ridable even now.

May 2004
    Groovy.

Snother question: What is your definition of Epic? Right now, a 5/6 hour ride for me would be about 30-40 miles, with 4 or 5 thousand vertical. A little more if there were road sections, a little less if it was very technical. I should be able to handle a little more than that by July.

Honestly, unless you ride Crest as a loop, it's not really an all day ride. Most sections of the trail are 15mph plus, and the ride is only 24 miles if you take it all the way down Mill Creek. There are some options that could add some challenge. I'll keep you updated as I ride the various side trails in the area.

Jan 2004

epic today

Groovy.

Snother question: What is your definition of Epic? Right now, a 5/6 hour ride for me would be about 30-40 miles, with 4 or 5 thousand vertical. A little more if there were road sections, a little less if it was very technical. I should be able to handle a little more than that by July.

Honestly, unless you ride Crest as a loop, it's not really an all day ride. Most sections of the trail are 15mph plus, and the ride is only 24 miles if you take it all the way down Mill Creek. There are some options that could add some challenge. I'll keep you updated as I ride the various side trails in the area.
    today's epic was ten thousand plus feet of climbing, eleven hours, 60+ miles. mostly singletrack, and a fair amount of hike a bike ... Big Mountain area from town, two loops ... yahoo!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

interview continued

I can appreciate the thorough screening. The majority of riders that lurk the websites probably don't have the same expectations of an epic ride. I am not an extraordinary rider by my peers standards. I do have a good endurance base. I should be able to complete the Cascade Cream Puff 100 prior to my visit to SLC. That is a 100 mile mtb ride with 50% singletrack and 18,000' of climbing. I ride with some of the best ultra-endurance mtbers in Oregon (at least behind them). My longest ride this year has been a 225 mile road ride with about 12,000' of climbing. My hardest mtb ride this year has been 60 miles with about 10,000' of climbing. I usually ride ss for anything under 30 miles. I will be bringing my Kona Dawg Deelux for this trip. I am expecting cardiac hill to kick my ass. I am open to doing a complete loop from the mouth of Big Cottonwood.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing a complete loop of the Wasatch Crest with some easy going people. I am not looking to make a race out of it. I just want to enjoy some riding and meet some new friends. I am sure the high elevations will have an effect on me. I just don't know what those effects will be. I want to be able to party a little afterwards and not be completely trashed for the next 2 days. It is only about having fun for me.

Groovy.

May 2004
    Well, it's a good thing I have acclimation on my side.

You'll be in good company with your Kona. As far as I know, I have one of the only Bear Deeluxes in the area.

I don't think Cardiac hill will be the biggest problem if we ride fromthe base of Big Cottonwood. Guardsmans pass is freaking steep. Luckily, Big cottonwood is only really steep in the first 3 or 4 miles. After that it's pretty mellow till you hit the pass.

Walt, you're nuts dude....

Apr 2004

hmmm......

hmmm.. sounds a lot like martin's ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The final plan

Let's do a full loop from the mouth of Big Cottonwood canyon. It will be a nostalgic ride for me. I frequently rode and hiked in the canyons in the early 80s. A few of my friends were even mtbing back then. An added bonus for me would be to see if the Soup Kitchen restaurant is still in Sugar House on the way back from Mill Creek canyon.

May 2004
    Sounds good. Lets get a very early start though, I'm not a huge fan of sucking exhaust on climbs.

Soup Kitchen is still there, only now they call it Mc. Soupy's and you have to order by numbers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ok

I am not ever excited about a "very early" anything. Can we say 800 on the bikes?

Sounds good. Lets get a very early start though, I'm not a huge fan of sucking exhaust on climbs.

Apr 2004

intriged

i dig the cottonwood loop, i could be intriged, but i will
    have to wait to see how my schedule evolves

early is good: less cars up road, less heat,

later,
    g

May 2004
    Stokey, let us know how your schedule looks. I'll keep my eyes open for other riders who might be interested. I rode with a couple guys on Tuesday who could definitely handle the loop, but I think they have 9 to 5 jobs.

I would say 8 at the absolute latest. Even on weekdays, Little Cottonwood gets a decent amount of traffic. I've been taking off on my long rides about 6 the past couple weeks and it has been great.

Another option might be to park at the Mill D North fork trailhead, climb up to the crest, head south to the highest point of the crest (9900) then head down, do a modified loop around dog lake, then come back down Mill D.

Just an Idea.

Apr 2004
    I'll keep my eyes open for other riders who might be interested.

me too. martin might be keen.

I would say 8 at the absolute latest.

agreed. im an early rider/riser-- the heat buggers with my brain.

Another option might be to park at the Mill D North fork trailhead, climb up to the crest, head south to the highest point of the crest (9900) then head down, do a modified loop around dog lake, then come back down Mill D.

too short

chat soon,
    g!

Just an Idea.[/QUOTE]

May 2004
    Yeah, it is a lot shorter, but you do add in the Mill D climb, which is a pretty good challenge.

The big loop sounds like a ton o fun though. I guess we just hop on the 215 to get back to Big Cottonwood?

Apr 2004

einsteins

i usually start at einsteins bagels in that mall that canyon cycles/smiths is in
    (i forget the name of the mall):
    you can take wasatch blvd all the way to big cottonwood canyon-- real
    nice. then you start climbing.

its a nice start/finish as you get sput out of mill creek canyon
    and you're DONE

chat soon,
    g

May 2004
    How long does the loop usually take you?

Apr 2004
    last time martin and i did it:
    1/2 an hour from einsteins to the base of big cottonwood
    about 2.5-3 hours up the canyon to scotts pass

from there, up puke hill, and start rolling back down (1.5-2 hours)

not too fast, not too slow,

hows that?
    later,
    g

May 2004
    That sounds like a very managable pace.

Did you guys have the legs left over to take Pipeline all the way down Rattlesnake, or did you stick to the road in Mill Creek?

Apr 2004

50/50

i recall that one time we did it, one time it was getting
    really hot, and we just blasted down... its a nice option to have

chat later,
    g

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sounds like a good ride

Quote Originally Posted by stokey
    i recall that one time we did it, one time it was getting
    really hot, and we just blasted down... its a nice option to have

chat later,
    g
    I have been planning on doing a ride from Midway to Holladay as soon as Crest is open. (We have a Condo in Midway and live in Holladay) I can't do it on the 8th because I work, but if you want to ride on th 10th we could ride up to guardsman from Midway and over the crest. That sounds more fun to me than riding up the road in Big Cottonwood. We can leave later and we still won't be eating exhaust.
    If you cannot understand that there is something in a man which responds to the challenge of this mountain and goes out to meet it, that the struggle is the struggle of life itself upward and forever upward, then you won't see why we go. What we get from this adventure is just sheer joy. If you have to ask the question, you won't understand the answer.

Jan 2004
    Okay, I'm in. If you go from Einstien's it sounds doable. The hard part will be getting up that early. One question though, how much water do you usually carry for that long of a ride? A camelbak and some bottles?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

take it from here

It looks like we have some momentum into the ride. I chose Thursday the 8th because it was a weekday and an even numbered day. I am spoiled from only riding in Oregon. I wanted to avoid the weekend crowd.

The start from Einsteins will probably be good for me. A longer warm-up prior to the climbing will be helpful. The duration or the climbing doesn't concern me. The anaerobic spikes will kill me at the elevation.

I was expecting to be able to re-fuel somewhere just prior to Guardsman's Pass.

May 2004

I honestly though it was an even day...

But I rode a shortened version of the crest loop today. Started at the Silver something Lodge, up the road, down crest, then returned on Mill D.

The two pictures are a Panorama from the top of Puke Hill (aptly named) and Desolation Lake. God it's gorgeous up there.

I take back my earlier statement about guardsmans pass being steep. It was no big deal. The road between Solitude and the pass was much worse. As far as the puker is concerned, if there is anyone in the group who can ride up Big Cottonwood, then clean puke hill, I will be in complete awe.

We can probably get water at the lodge. I also know the owner of the little ski shop across the street. I can give him a call and see if we can drop off some supplies day before the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I am getting hot already

The pictures are getting me fired up. It is quite a contrast to the riding I have been doing. For example a friend of mine just posted on the ss board some pictures of part of a quick ride that I did last Sunday.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=28941

I have got 2 big obstacles prior to my vacation visit. The first is this weekend; 2 laps of the Cream Puff course (70 miles, 12,000' vertical). The second is the full course on June 26th (100 miles, 18,000' vertical). After that, all the rest of my summer rides are strictly group recreational rides. I am really more of a group ride personality. I just keep getting sucked into the ultra-endurance challenge.

FYI. On my return to Oregon, my team and friends are hosting the Oakridge Summer Ridefest (July 15 - 18).
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=28769
    It is a little more organized version of the famous Oregon Barbie Camps (a little more family friendly). I have taught my kids the difference between home and school talk and "camp talk".

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Don't want to let this thread die

I am definitely on for this ride. You guys can name the start time and place.

I am just a few days away from my biggest ride ever. After that, most of my ultra-endurance days will be over.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

met some SLC folks

I met a couple at the Cascade Cream Puff that currently lives in Jackson, WY previously from SLC. They used to do the route we are planning as a training ride for the Brianhead 100. They said it was "a haul" but the Crest trail is a lot of fun.

I don't know how much internet access I will have once I live Oregon. I will just plan to be ready to ride at the designated starting point above.