Is JMH's pumptrack 29er specific?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Is JMH's pumptrack 29er specific?

So i've heard from a certain legend of the internet that JMH is hosting the Pumptrack Championships of America.

I heard he was awarded the bid because of the venue. It's close to an airport, near a coffee shop and in walking distance from SLCRMR's house. I'm a bit concerned about the actual track though since i haven't seen it. i heard that at least as much work went into the brickwork and the garden as the actual track.

My question is, is it 29er specific? I heard all the corners are 30ft radius. My pumptrack racebike has 24" wheels. Will i slow down too much? I, as i'm sure all of you know, take my racing VERY seriously even if it is an event other that Super D. I don't want to build up another bike just for this race but i could probably take the snow tires off of [email protected]'s Big Top.

I haven't seen an announcement of the race date, i heard spring time after the track gets a winter on it to pack it down. That should give me plent of time to get a bike ready and get used to it. I heard there was a practice day coming up if the weather clears up but i haven't been invited if there is one.

Does anyone have any pics of the track????? What kind of soil was used? Topsoil/clay/sand mix? You knew this was coming...what tires? I don't have a lot of choices like the 29er guys have. All i can get for the 24's are Intense MicroKnobby 1.85's or Kenda Small Block 8 2.1's

Anyone else have any info on this?

Krispy
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

Homer's problem child
    Don't know, but here's a spy shot that's been floating around the innertubzzz...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is JMH's pumptrack 29er specific?-hpt-spy.jpg  

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Dude,

The Swedish-hipster-designer in JMH oozes from everything he owns/does/makes and the pumptrack is no exception. I just googled swedish hipster and - bango! - JMH and Chuky's high school prom photo:

I'm dying to know more about SLC pumptrack nationals. We haven't had that sort of thing since Millcreek pumptrack nationals a few years back at Mani's (won by Andrew Pierce I believe?). I sure didn't win, but I got to watch Scott crash after he heckled me for wearing a helmet and saying,"what? are you gonna crash or something?" Rich and fulfilling. . .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For you internet nerds out there (myself included), the best part of the pumptrack photo is the branding occurring on the wooden berm molding. I missed it the first time. Probably some logo dreamed up by some Swedish-hipster-designer-type. . . I still want one of those bikes just for the logo. It can't be easy being so ridiculously good-looking. . .

1/4 semi-pro
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    For you internet nerds out there (myself included), the best part of the pumptrack photo is the branding occurring on the wooden berm molding. I missed it the first time. Probably some logo dreamed up by some Swedish-hipster-designer-type. . . I still want one of those bikes just for the logo. It can't be easy being so ridiculously good-looking. . .

i have that dvd. were did you get that picure?
    not anti-bobsled

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    [QUOTE=P-townDave] I just googled swedish hipster and - bango! - JMH and Chuky's high school prom photo:
    [QUOTE]

Huh. That's odd. I just Googled: Keanu, Reeves, Chumley, and Sad and got a totally different result:

I then added Maverik and Iceman to the search and got this:

Lastly adding Pumptrack and Mopey Smurf and got this result:

I'm not certain what all this means actually.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Thinking about building a 36'er specific pump track on 13 acres my uncle Manheim left me down in Argentina. He retired there after fleeing Germany in 1945 and set up a factory that made polyester flowers to compete with the ever lucrative US silk flower market.

Anyway, should be able to accomodate about three berms and still leave enough room for aunty Melborn's cabbage garden and rocking horse.

mtbr member
    So according to the UCI sister site Pumptrackers.com i see that Festina won't be timing this event, and that Swatch has stepped in. Apparently all who have qualified through regional events get a Swatch Watch of their choice with a timing chip inside.

There isn't a complete list of who's qualified yet, i guess it will take a while for each country's respective race to be held in order to form their national team.

The only one's confirmed are Tazmania,

And England-

it looks like Ireland could be out since their track may never dry out
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

mtbr member
    I must say I'm glad to see a 36er pumptrack thread. I just have to ask, what is the best tire for a new-ish 36er pumptrack in the fall if your head tube angle is between 67 and 69* and you ride with odi lock on grips and clipless pedals and a carbon seat tube?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I can't say anything now pending several negotiations. However, if I had my way the Pumptrack Championships would be a series utilizing several venues. Right now that's the stumbling block.

Is there more than one 36er tire on the market?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    IHowever, if I had my way the Pumptrack Championships would be a series utilizing several venues. Right now that's the stumbling block.
    I know of five including yours. . . well, seven, but PC's under snow by now.

Fragglepuss The Chaste

Will Romania Step Up?

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    it looks like Ireland could be out since their track may never dry out

F#ck!ng Irish. Just about as worthless as the Dutch .

BTW, they're all switching to metric tire ( or tyre ) sizing which is just going to throw the process into even more chaos.

It's way past time for another war.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I just received an email from Chumley, which at first just blew me away as I wasn't aware of his being able to send an actual email. Of course it was riddled with spam links as he just basically forwarded an email he received from a spammer.

Anyway, he's building a pump track in what is commonly known as his parent's basement. Apparently there is so much dust and junk down there that they won't have to ship in any additional dirt. Go figure.

Of course, much like the clapped out used Nomad he purchased off Craig's List Canada that now sports an unmoveable motocross rear shock he just had his dad buy a pump track bike off of a Ukrainian website.

He said it looked comfortable.

Better build those sweet berms up a bit higher and reinforce them to accomodate a grown man who eats an entire pizza for breakfast.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    I know of five including yours. . . well, seven, but PC's under snow by now.
    To be considered for a Pumptacular, the track must be privately held (to escape the disapproving glances of the SLCPD) with a Viewing Deck (elevated at least 6") that has an unobscured view of at least 80% of the track. Hot Tubs and/or Outdoor Stereo Systems are crucial selection elements, as is an inefficient "tangled-cord" lighting setup that wastes at least $30 of electricity every time it is plugged in.

For Pumptacular or Series Competition purposes, wheels must be 24" or 26" front and rear. 29" is legal for exhibition purposes only, although I have heard from several sources that this is under consideration with USPTCS. Just in case, I am working on a special bike.

Additionally, even when the upgrades are complete my Pump Venue will still be under provisional suspension for Barbeque Safety Violations (both food and track related) and Loose Dog Incident Investigation. I hope to have all this cleared up by Spring.

I wish it wasn't this complex, believe me. I have been lobbying for a better system but nothing is likely to happen. Through some strange series of coincidences, the College Football BCS Committee is also responsible for USPTCS regulations.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I just received a copy of the USPTCS Rule Book. Apparently they haven't updated it since its first pressing in 1989.

Oddly enough they've taken the UCI bike weight rule and applied it to riders, but in reverse. Normally I would be against such a rule, but this may actually keep a pump track intact longer. Last thing JMH needs is someone like Chumley hitting those sweet berms pushing 30G's and them eventually ending up back in his garage and out in the driveway.

The ban on black socks is still in effect as of the publishing of this latest rule book.

There is no mention of using radios and ear pieces, so Krispy should be fine with a caravan of Audi's following him with spare bikes and wheels on the roof for quick changeovers in case of a mechanical.

Browsing quickly, I don't see any mention on the use of stare backs but it does allow for the use of feed bags in designated sections of the pump track "...not to include zones designated as berms or 'turns', gardens located within the pump track, pedestrian crossings, bike wash areas or loading zones...."

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    JMH just posted up some weekend footage of Chumley and Jib sessioning his pumptrack. I think this is a huge improvement over the older, more flat version, as it takes gravity into account a bit more which will aide the heavier rider. It's also entirely reinforced with granite so it should last a couple of summers before he has to go back and do some more work.

Enjoy:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/15929380" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/15929380">Inversion Riders</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3329816">Big Col</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Members who have read this thread: 0