mtbr member

JEM Trail System Update

Been out of town most of last week. Any updates on the trail conditions for JEM? We hoped to ride some of the lower stuff starting at the Bridge.

mtbr member

Here Is What I Found

Good trail conditions, a spot of two of water, tiny bit of mud, cows have been making their presence known, motorcycles explored lower Crypto and something with fat tires tried a run up part of lower Jem.

I'm not posting this photo to inflame riders or start a tirade of hateful or critical comments. After all, if it weren't for the fat tires and motorized adventure seekers many of our early mountain bike experiences and the development of what we now enjoy would not be possible. I've ridden and raced on plenty of trails originally developed by motorized two and four wheelers. The people and their machines have even saved me from my own bad choices more than once. Maybe that last comment suggests we consider allowing e-bikes on our trails....something I really believe would benefit all of us. Because of my positive experiences with motorized riders, I think us mountain bikers should show a more grateful and accepting approach to the "machines." Yes, we will always need to deal with the negative results of those who don't return the respect, but I believe with some positive influence we can minimize future problems. Is IMBA and their local chapters trying to get involved with the motorized trail groups? If not, that would be a great first step in gaining their trust and influence in promoting respect for trail restrictions.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JEM Trail System Update-img_20170206_133750709_hdr%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbender View Post
    Good trail conditions, a spot of two of water, tiny bit of mud, cows have been making their presence known, motorcycles explored lower Crypto and something with fat tires tried a run up part of lower Jem.

I'm not posting this photo to inflame riders or start a tirade of hateful or critical comments. After all, if it weren't for the fat tires and motorized adventure seekers many of our early mountain bike experiences and the development of what we now enjoy would not be possible. I've ridden and raced on plenty of trails originally developed by motorized two and four wheelers. The people and their machines have even saved me from my own bad choices more than once. Maybe that last comment suggests we consider allowing e-bikes on our trails....something I really believe would benefit all of us. Because of my positive experiences with motorized riders, I think us mountain bikers should show a more grateful and accepting approach to the "machines." Yes, we will always need to deal with the negative results of those who don't return the respect, but I believe with some positive influence we can minimize future problems. Is IMBA and their local chapters trying to get involved with the motorized trail groups? If not, that would be a great first step in gaining their trust and influence in promoting respect for trail restrictions.

Any suggestions?
    You should probably post this non-sensical drivel in the e-bike section...
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer

mtbr member
    Education and working together to find common ground that benefits all trail users can be a challenge, but it has worked well in many locations.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    I was out there last week and the cows have torn up the trail way more than any offroad vehicle or people riding in the mud. Almost all of Jem, Dead Ringer and Crypto is constant cow post holes. It sucked!
    I wish they could keep the cows out of the riding area.

mtbr member
    I had a personal meeting with the guy who runs his cows out there yesterday. He was walking down the dirt road that cuts across the Jem trail system and waved me down. Said was out feeding his cattle and locked his keys in the truck. My first thought was , why are you feeding your cattle when that was the reason you put them here in the first place, so you wouldn't have to feed them. Anyway, he asked to use my cell phone so I obliged. He made a call to his son to bring a spare key and get him into his truck. After his call I told him, I taught my dog to sit, shake hands, lie down, roll over and do circles, can't he teach his cows to stay off the trails? He said he would get right on that. Stupid Cows!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I call a foul here. This is not non sensical but a well reasoned point of view - unlike your "contribution"

Your Best Friend
    A lot of recent work has gone into repairing the cattle damage on these trails. It happens every year. If you see someone out there with a shovel, stop and say thanks.
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    I assume JEM area is dry for this weekend but is it still pretty bumpy/post-holed/rutted from inconsiderate users (bovine and asses)?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Your Best Friend
    Yes and mostly. We've been trying to fix it but that's a lot of post holes to fix. It's actually getting dusty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    What we need to do is contact the permittee and see if he is willing to sell his permit. If he is, we could do a GoFundMe campaign to raise the funds to buy it. Then no more 10" deep post holes every year.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    While I like the idea of purchasing the permit you might also have to consider the permit holder might want you to purchase cow food so he can feed his herd for at least the time period of the permit.

Another situation becoming an concern is the number of idiots who believe this area is their personal dumping ground. I've seen more locations with trash piles that include yard waste, lumber, brick, concrete slabs, an exploded refrigerator, dead animal parts, etc. All within prime camping areas or along roads and jeep trails. While I am not sure how to resolve this problem other than follow up behind the idiots with a cleanup crew and properly dispose of their messes, I think we should consider asking the US Fish and Wildlife Service to introduce some of these loveable critters to make the Jem area a bit less appealing to the cows.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any updates on trails and roads after the storm? Looks like it wasn't quite as big as they forecasted, at least by looking at radar images throughout the night.

Your Best Friend
    It wasn't too bad of a storm and it's clearing. JEM is good if not a bit tacky.