Jem And Hurricane Rim Trail Closed Saturday- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Jem And Hurricane Rim Trail Closed Saturday

Public service announcement...
    The JEM and Hurricane Rim trails will be closed to all but foot traffic this Saturday. The first annual Run a Hurricane JEM trail marathon will be taking place Saturday on this trail system.

The event will also be using Sheeps Bridge Road and most of the double track.

I spoke with the promoter and he said that most runners should be off trail by 2:30 so an afternoon ride is not out of the question.

Plan accordingly.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Interesting. Technically the USFS can't close a trail for a foot race but the BLM can? Just curious. I'd want to stay away anyway but I'd be a bit pissed if I had made long distance travel plans and an am/early afternoon ride was my only opportunity to hit the JEM loop (with a 3 day notice that is). Plenty of other awesome nearby options of course.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yep... seems that the USGS and LM have a different set of rules for land management.

The BLM grants special use permits for all kinds of activities on a regular basis.

The permits for the foot race have been filed for six months and are public record (just like the permits filed for the Six and Twenty-five hours of Frog Hollow.. where us mountainbike racers close the JEM, part of the Hurricane Rim, Sheepsbridge road and some double track) for all users to see.

Ya, I'd be bummed too if I had my heart set on the JEM.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Members who have read this thread: 0