JEM, Hurricane, Gould's Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

JEM, Hurricane, Gould's Help

Just curious what the best way to ride the loop is. Start from the U-9 side and start with the end of JEM to Hurricane, to Gould's and finish with JEM? Or Start on U-59 with Gould's? How much climbing is there (we have a couple less experienced riders), are there any bail-outs to shorten the ride if someone doesn't want to do the whole thing? What's the condition of the trail right now? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    You might want to start at Goulds if you're really worried about someone wanting to bail early, otherwise, start at whatever trailhead is most convenient. After either section of Goulds, it's pretty easy to cut the ride short & return via 59. There's also a shortcut off of JEM that takes you to china wash on the hurricane rim trail.

We got a little rain today, but I would think the trail is okay. It was perfect this past week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Last year we parked at OTE (with permission), climbed the road, then the fire road to reach Gould, crossed the 59 over to JEM and whoa, that was fun - fast and sinuous. We stopped at the trailhead near the Virgn River then we came back along Hurricane Rim. The next to last stretch is a climb but it is followed by a sweet descent along the road. I would do it again this way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Sylvain
    Last year we parked at OTE (with permission), climbed the road, then the fire road to reach Gould, crossed the 59 over to JEM and whoa, that was fun - fast and sinuous. We stopped at the trailhead near the Virgn River then we came back along Hurricane Rim. The next to last stretch is a climb but it is followed by a sweet descent along the road. I would do it again this way.
    Yep, that's the ticket. I'd do it just like that... or better yet, park at the Cell Towers just up the highway from the fireroad climb up to Gould's.

Plenty of bailout options all along the way.

I guess the only advantage to starting over in Virgin (Hwy 9) and doing Hurricane Rim first then Gould's then JEM is that you'd get all your climbing out of the way first. I'd rather break it up though.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Members who have read this thread: 0