JEM-Gould-Hurricane big loop- Mtbr.com
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

JEM-Gould-Hurricane big loop

Looking at dropping into the St George area for a day or two, camping, and riding this as a 20+ miler loop. I think I will buy the Utah Mtn Biking map for this section of country. Combined with a GPS, is that good enough info to make the ride?

I read on the Utah MTB website several times about the 'big loop' possibilities but no mention of the correct way to tie it all together.

Any suggestions or links would be great.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You will be able to get around it with gps.

There are a few turns that are unmarked, but for the most part I think you should be able to find your way around it. I have a GPS file of that ride from an edge 305 that I can share with you. If you have GPS you should be able to follow it no porblem. Let me know an email and I can send it to you. I don't know how to post it here or I would.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    There are a few turns that are unmarked, but for the most part I think you should be able to find your way around it. I have a GPS file of that ride from an edge 305 that I can share with you. If you have GPS you should be able to follow it no porblem. Let me know an email and I can send it to you. I don't know how to post it here or I would.
    Thanks. I will pm ya.
    Blog Ramblings

Brit on a trip
    Nov 2006
    A group of us from the UK did that loop in October. We had two topos - one from utahmountainbiking I think and the other from bikerag.com. We started on the bluff above Hurricane and went around counterclockwise, in accord with the description at http://www.mountainbikebill.com/Utah...caneCliffs.htm

It made for an excellent ride and a nice downhill finish to the trail head and the navigation was pretty straightforward. There were a couple of points where the topo track was different from the reality but the above trail description helped with that.

We also had the utahmountainbiking print out with a few of the critical gps points to help if we got lost. You can also download a gps track but we did not find that necessary for this trail

(editted to correct the direction)
    Last edited by Tor-y-Foel; 11-05-2007 at 03:29 AM.
    Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

Bend, OR
    That's a great mellow ride. One of the nicest in St. George I'd say.

When I did it, I think I had the map they have at the local bike shops, don't remember exactly but it was a nice map. Only had to take it out once or twice. Most things are marked I believe. I went counterclockwise, seems like it would have been nice in either direction. I prefer starting the ride climbing the couple miles of doubletrack and then ending with a singletrack descent, rather than the other way around though.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yeah, I agree. I think starting from the Hurricane Rim lower trailhead and heading south (counterclockwise) up the dirt road past all the dead appliances is the way to go.

I did it with the same cheap bike store map as Ross W, not a real brain bender to navigate this loop. It's also a wide-open plateau crossed by a highway and a pretty major dirt road, so it's difficult to get lost for long.

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Ross W.
    That's a great mellow ride. One of the nicest in St. George I'd say.

When I did it, I think I had the map they have at the local bike shops, don't remember exactly but it was a nice map. Only had to take it out once or twice. Most things are marked I believe. I went counterclockwise, seems like it would have been nice in either direction. I prefer starting the ride climbing the couple miles of doubletrack and then ending with a singletrack descent, rather than the other way around though.

mtbr member

Ive done it a few times

One of my favorite loops in the state. Clockwise is what I'd recommend. It's a pretty easy trail to follow, lots of signs and traffic. You should have no problems..Enjoy!

RHRF!

Here's the Motion-Based data...

... from this past March. It was my favorite ride of our trip.

Hurricane/Goulds/JEM

RHRF!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    the hardest part is finding the trailhead (when going clockwise) from the dirt road climbing out of Hurricane. I like it counterclockwise since you get to enjoy the flowy JEM singletrack that way...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Super info. Looks like, from the Motion Based stuff, that there is not much of any steep climbs. Looks like a good ride for my 1x9 29er perhaps?

Thanks guys. I really cherish the flow that this ride looks like it has. Most everything around me is very digital.
    Blog Ramblings

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Any camping suggestions? Thinking of BLM land with a pop-up camper, maybe two. It would be nice to ride from the camp area, but that is not too important. If I have to drive to the trailhead, then we could stay at an improved campsite. No matter either way.

I looked at some of the links on Utah MTB.com site, but it is hard to know the area ahead of time.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    Any camping suggestions? Thinking of BLM land with a pop-up camper, maybe two. It would be nice to ride from the camp area, but that is not too important. If I have to drive to the trailhead, then we could stay at an improved campsite. No matter either way.

I looked at some of the links on Utah MTB.com site, but it is hard to know the area ahead of time.
    There are some excellent camping spots by the Gooseberry trailhead...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnidaho
    There are some excellent camping spots by the Gooseberry trailhead...
    What kind of a drive is that from the Hurricane trail head? Wondering if I would not like to be lower in elevation in December for camping?
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I think your right about camping on goose in Dec

It's colder up there, and you far away from most of the rides. There are tons of places to camp surrounding the hurricane area. Campgrounds at sand hollow resivour, and quail creek res. You can can out in warner valley where they have the cholla challange race. (www.utahmountainbiking.com search for cholla) Any of those places are like a 5-10 min drive from the goulds trail, and 15 min from all of the st. george trails. Gooseberry is like 45 minutes from Hurricane.
    So thats my opinion

PM me

mtbr member

a slightly different option

I like to ride it counter-clockwise but start out in Virgin. You basically cross the sheep bridge and start at the parking lot on the other side. Ride the cool exposed singletrack on the edge of the gorge up to the Hurricane/Jem junction and hang right for the Hurricane Rim. Do Hurricane/Gould/Jem and then ride the first section again back to your vehicle.

In fact I think I am going down this weekend to do just that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Whats the difference where you start?

You ride the same trail just enter and exit at a different point. Start whereever is closest to you.

PM me

mtbr member

I stand corrected

Yes, I chimed in with where I like to start (and ride the little exposed/scenic section of the river that would be missed by starting at the hurricane trailhead).

However, if you do happen to live in one of the washing machines on the dirt road to goulds then by all means you should pop the lid and start riding from that spot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Gooseberry is like 45 minutes from Hurricane.
    So thats my opinion
    45 min? If you go that slow than I guarantee that at least 5 big double cab pick-em-up trucks will run you over. Its not that far, only like 12 miles. Last time I was at goose(1 week and 1 day) then there was some people camping up past the trail head, they were just up right off the fire road, I'm glad they were there too because we had a flat and then it ended up dark and we didn't have a light(Yeah, we're dumb) and they let us use theirs. Thanks to whoever it was!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I ride that section

When I start in hurricane. If you are already in hurricane driving to virgin would be silly. I was not chastizing you for chiming it just saying that it is the same ride if you start in Hurricame, the Jem parking lot, Virgin, or anywhere else. Start whereever is closest to you is all I am saying. Same ride.

PM me

mtbr member
    When I start in hurricane. If you are already in hurricane driving to virgin would be silly. I was not chastizing you for chiming it just saying that it is the same ride if you start in Hurricame, the Jem parking lot, Virgin, or anywhere else. Start whereever is closest to you is all I am saying. Same ride.
    Using Jason's route you actually add a very nice section of scenic trail - twice! I have been thinking of doing it this way and may give it a try next week. It's a long drive from SoCal so I like to get the most bang for my buck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

But you can ride that wherever you start

Its the same trail. All I am saying is that you don't have to drive to virgin to ride the trail

PM me

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    OK...looking at a week or so until I get to town. Anyone with specific directions/locations for camping in a pop-up trailer? The more I have figured out in advance, the better.

EDIT: How would Sand Hollow State Park be as far as location? The maps I have found place it right near the Hurricane trail head, pretty much.
    Last edited by mtroy; 11-19-2007 at 07:32 AM.
    Blog Ramblings

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Trip accomplished

Thanks for all the info. We had a great trip. Rode there on the 27th in great weather. Fun trip, great riding.

Story and pics on da' blog below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Nice job man. I enjoyed your blog write-up of the trail. Thanks. Did you do the little out and back down along the virgin cliffs before turning back up the Hurricane rim?

I agree with the 3-4 inch FS 29er being the perfect bike for that loop. I got a chance to ride a Sultan on the Turner demo on that loop and loved it.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Nice job man. I enjoyed your blog write-up of the trail. Thanks. Did you do the little out and back down along the virgin cliffs before turning back up the Hurricane rim?

I agree with the 3-4 inch FS 29er being the perfect bike for that loop. I got a chance to ride a Sultan on the Turner demo on that loop and loved it.
    No, no out-and-back. Missed that one, I guess. No matter, we had all we could ask for that day. Definitely the best all around ride I have had in a long time. Need more of those. My tastes are running more to semi-epic stuff like that expanding to the bigger, harder stuff as fitness allows. I love riding new areas.
    Blog Ramblings

Members who have read this thread: 0