jeep safari- Mtbr.com

Thread: jeep safari

Oct 2006

jeep safari

I was in Moab over spring break a couple of weeks ago and it was an amazing time on the trails and camping. I am heading back down there on april 1-8 for some "therapy". These are the days that the jeep safari runs also. I usually camp by the scenic dewey bridge and on the edge of hell roaring canyon (old dubinky road). So my question is how packed is the jeep safari going to make it? Also, will riding the trails still be fun with all the jeeps roaring past me, especially on golden spike, porcipine, kokipelli, amassa, and the like? I realize that in-town "camping" will be a unavailable during this week, but are they all gonna flood the natural campsites as well? Thanx in advance

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Personally, I'm going elsewhere. That is one week I just give to the Jeepers. It's insanity in town and on many of the trails I like. I don't know your camp spot, but yes the jeepers flood ALL camping. It will be more so this year with Lions Back closed.

If you must go, there are trails such as Sovereign, and Slickrock without the jeeps, but riding with lots of Jeeps on the trails with much 4wd road is no fun IMHO. The singletrack off of many of those roads will be good and empty but you still have to ride with tons of jeeps on the roads. It's something like 5000 jeeps converging on Moab.

Enduroist
    Mar 2007
    Sounds like a good weekend to hit Fruita up instead, well worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshP
    Sounds like a good weekend to hit Fruita up instead, well worth the drive.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm on Westwater Friday/Saturday, driving to 18rd after. Let me know if you're heading down Josh.

Oct 2006
    Wow, i didnt realize fruita was so close to moab. I think what ill do is hit moab first, get fed up with engines, then go to fruita for the latter part of the week. Anyone have any good places to find some trails there, form beginner all the way to Portal type stuff?

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Last year we rode with few problems. Porc, not much to worry about except the main road up. We also rode gemini bridges with a few jeeps caravans on the trail. Moab is still fun even with the jeeps. I'm extremely jacked this year about staying in Fruita next week but we'll still ride Porc for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Will the last weekend of April be bogged with Jeepers? That's the weekend I'm headed over there....hope they're long gone.

Members who have read this thread: 0