Jans shop sucks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jans shop sucks

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Jans shop sucks

I made the mistake of taking my fox fork to Jans in Park City for a service and had such a bad experience that I must post a warning to others. The service was simple: replace seals, inspect for other problems, add fresh oil and finish. Not what they did; they put the wrong seals on so the forks leaked. I took the bike back and their "top" mechanic said "those forks are supposed to leak after a rebuild". I knew better,l but picked up the bike because I wanted to ride. The forks continued to leak, but I had no time to take the bike back until about a month later. By then, the forks were pouring oil. Another of their "top" mechanics diagnosed the problem as "wrong seals" which he replaced with the correct ones and said they were fixed. I began riding the bike and immediately had rebound control problems so I took it to another shop in SLC where the mechanic immediately diagnosed the problem as "no oil in fork". I watched him open the fork and dump out about 10 cc's of oil. The fork needs about 120 cc's! This means that when they finally installed the correct seals, they didn't bother to check the oil.
    Fn Idiots!

1/4 semi-pro
    ok, i won t go thre. thanks.
    not anti-bobsled

scars > tattoos
    they also recommended i buy baby oil for my brakes. i did. now i know better than to listen to jans. however, they were great hosts for the trek dirt series, so i must commend them for their hospitality.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetmafiosa
    they also recommended i buy baby oil for my brakes. i did. now i know better than to listen to jans. however, they were great hosts for the trek dirt series, so i must commend them for their hospitality.
    I think that in the grand scheme of things, or at least those within our alternate universe-you know that other one? No, not that one. The other one. Baby oil and hospitality actually cancel each other out which would make one essentially neutral on the topic.

I personally have no problem with Jans having never shopped there nor set foot in their store. I will say that I do get angry at seeing their name on my drive to our secret pre-ride ritual meeting spot. Long story short, I dated this girl named Jan for a couple of weeks once and she stole all of my John Mayer mix tapes. So I don't like that name any longer.

Or Ted. Can't stand that name either. F#cking Ted, his good looks and his Camero. Stealing Jan from me.

Plus the idea of Jan being plural with the store 'Jans' just makes me even madder. Probably means there's more Teds around too.

scars > tattoos
    i'd say they do, too. 60 women invaded their bathroom (the one bathroom) over a weekend, and they were never less than friendly. that counts for way more than not knowing the difference in viscosity in mineral oils.

Picture Unrelated
    They had a big turnover in mechanics in the last year, I'm not surprised. Hopefully they'll get it worked out because I haven't had any bad experiences in the past. Oh well, sorry they were dumb as hell to you.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Pedal Bike
    Nov 2005

Fork

Last edited by Pedal Bike; 09-14-2010 at 05:41 AM.
    "Never write when you can talk. Never talk when you can nod. And never put anything in an e-mail." - Eliot Spitzer, former NY state attorney general

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Bike
    Send your fork to Lubby @ Dirtlabs....I wouldn't take a fork to any bikeshop. Too many seals and such required for an average bikeshop to carry and stay current....Most bikeshops have transitional employees, particularly skishop bikeshops....
    I can't comment on the other shops, but at Go-ride.com in SLC we lots and lots of seals, o-rings and specialty service tools for forks and shocks. We even have a 150 bin cabinet that is full of fork and shock repair parts.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Fox forks are easy to service, you should just buy oil and replace seals yourself.

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    I get the feeling thad_shred is just an MTBR two timer.
    I spent 20 minutes arguing with a corpse once and still left feeling unsatisfied.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    I get the feeling thad_shred is just an MTBR two timer.
    I spent 20 minutes arguing with a corpse once and still left feeling unsatisfied.
    Now that I'm married and have a kid I'm pretty much dead anyways.

Congrats on the awesomeness of the Humdingy. Sorry I lamed out, but it's kind of my thing you know.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it :thumbsup:

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Now that I'm married and have a kid I'm pretty much dead anyways.

Congrats on the awesomeness of the Humdingy. Sorry I lamed out, but it's kind of my thing you know.
    That's ok. We all know you spent your entire weekend trying to figure out how to respond intelligently to this thread in the highly informative All-Mountain forum.

It's all about priorities.

Ride and Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by thad shred
    I made the mistake of taking my fox fork to Jans in Park City
    There are not many shops where I will take my bike and let any mechanic work on it. Jans has some great mechanics. I try to always get a mechanic I know and trust. Go-ride is maybe the only place I know of where I'm comfortable just dropping off my bike and asking them to find and fix a problem. But I've never seen the great guys at go-ride stop what they are doing to fix my bike so that I can get out on my ride that day.
    The level of service I get at Jans is the reason I go there. Sorry things worked out so poorly for you. I just want to balance the coin for the guys at Jans cause they have consistently been awesome to me.

Members who have read this thread: 0