Jacksons creek crossing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Jacksons creek crossing

I'm going to be in Moab this weekend. I'm hoping to do Amassa Back to Jacksons. Does anyone know at what level does the Colorado River get high enough to back up Kane Creek enough to prevent fording it? Looks like the snowmelt is starting to hit its stride and the flows are getting up there:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=09180500

Also, myself and one other are going to be there. Anyone want to pair up to shuttle Kokapelli down?

-Brian

mtbr member
    A friend of mine just did it this weekend and said it's doable. It sounds like it's a bit sketchy, and also they had a huge t-storm to deal with that they increased the flow.

frejwilk
    Depends how bad you want to do it. People are climbing / scrambling high around the slide area. It kind of looks like what would happen if herds of cows started rock climbing. A little sketchy, sure. Seems to be a lot of determination to do certain rides in Moab lately. The upper crossing area is thigh deep.

FW

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by stpcrkr
    I'm going to be in Moab this weekend. I'm hoping to do Amassa Back to Jacksons. Does anyone know at what level does the Colorado River get high enough to back up Kane Creek enough to prevent fording it? Looks like the snowmelt is starting to hit its stride and the flows are getting up there:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=09180500

Also, myself and one other are going to be there. Anyone want to pair up to shuttle Kokapelli down?

-Brian
    I'd say stop at the lower lot as you drive in, walk down and check it out. I made the mistake of not doing recon on it last year. Ended up having to do the ridiculous side hill scramble and bushwack through the tamarisk all the way to the base of the upper parking area where we could get across. A couple other groups got sick of the hike about halfway through and turned back planning to hike all the way back up Jackson's. Definitely the most miserable mile of hike a bike I've ever done. If the water is bad I'd highly recommend doing Amasa, Rockstacker, and then jumping back over to Amasa for the trip down. Jackson's is fun but not worth the misery at the bottom on a bad day.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member
    Thanks, true it is super easy to check the crossing from the parking lot. Probably easier than posting questions on mtbr. Any good directions out there for finding the rockstacker route? Last time I was there we did the moses thing for a while, eventually giving up.

frejwilk
    Quote Originally Posted by stpcrkr
    Any good directions out there for finding the rockstacker route? Last time I was there we did the moses thing for a while, eventually giving up.
    Pothole Arch trail, Rockstacker, and Jackson's trail all have very nice 'you are here' style signs now. Navigation shouldn't be a problem.

FW

Ride and Smile
    Ride the trail upstream and the crossing is easy or easier depending.

Members who have read this thread: 0