I've got 2 days in Moab.... What to do?- Mtbr.com

Mar 2007

I've got 2 days in Moab.... What to do?

Ok. I'll be in Moab for Memorial day weekend. I've got two days w/my wife. One day I plan on renting a bike, maybe even paying to go on guided tour, and she is going to the spa. My question is, What trail? I want to go on Slickrock but I've never been to moab before and I don't know how "advanced" it is. I'm a pretty experienced rider but I'm not used to going off 4ft drops or anything like that. Any suggestions?

Also, we're going to hit Arches NP and Canyonlands NP. Is there anything else that is a "must do"?

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Porcupine Rim trail.
    Take the shuttle to LPS (the shop will know what that means).
    You can catch a shuttle for Poison Spider.

Mar 2007
    Is it safe for me to go alone?

Jan 2007
    If you ride Slick rock, yes, you can ride alone. There will be a bunch of people out riding. When I rode it there was everything;
    Hiking, MTB'ing, Trials bikes, 4X4's. It's a marked course and you will more than likely make it through the whole thing. It's marked on the rocks with the course.

Riding Porcupine Rim trail would be an awesome thing and well worth it. If you hitch a ride up with Poison Spider you will probably be able to hook up with some other riders who are in the same boat.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you have the lungs and legs, you could do the Slickrock trail in the morning and LPS-Porcupine Rim in the afternoon. Starting at LPS eliminates a big climb and adds some great single track. Transportation/logistics could be a little tricky. That could be resolved by getting a guide who also provides transportation. I know Mike from Treks n Trails, 435 220-1243, specializes in personalized tours, so give him a call if you want to check out the guide option.

Luddite technophile
    Slickrock is not about 4 ft drops, unless you choose to make it so. The main challenges are mental ("can I really make it up that ridiculously steep hill?"), physical (actually having the power to make it up the hill), and technical ("can I still pedal while leaning forward enough to keep from doing a reverse endo?"). If you're not in decent shape, it'll be tough. Last time I took my near-50 yr. old body around slickrock it made me realize that I'm getting older. Still - had a great time.

Porcupine Rim will be physically much easier as long as you get a shuttle to the start. It's about a 3 mile climb, then all downhill. A bit of a slog on the road back to Moab (unless you get picked up at the end), but not too bad.

I would agree that those two should be at the top of your list for your only day in Moab. You'll want to come back.

mtbr member
    If you're going to shuttle Porcupine start at Kokopelli and include LPS. It eliminates the 3 mile climb and adds several miles of tasty single track and several thousand feet of descent. Just make sure you get there before they close the La Sal Loop Road or you're SOL. There are several shuttle companies in town that will take you to the top.

Amasa Back is also a classic out and back. If you feel adventurous you can always come down Rock Stacker and Jackson.

Tusher Canyon is a fun trail of techie ledgie slickrock.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    How bad is that 3 mile climb to LPS/Porcupine. If one wants to climb it, where and how to get to the trailhead?

If you could only ride Porcupine or Amasa back, which would it be.

Mar 2007
    Thanks for all the advice!

What about Bartlet Wash? Too easy?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Bartlett Wash has it all, easy rolling slickrock , lots of jumps, and steep, steep drops into huge slickrock bowls. But what really makes Barltett Wash special is knowing where to go and there is no marked route. So it is best to go with someone that really knows their way around out there.

Mar 2007
    How far is Bartlett Wash from town? From what I gather Slickrock and Porc. Rim are the closest to town right?

Dec 2006
    I'd do an out-and-back on Poison Spider. You get a little slickrock, a little dirt, expansive views, and it's hard to get lost.

For a first-timer, Klondike Bluffs is a cool shorter ride.

Geminii Bridges would be fine for a solo excursion; well-marked and popular, with a good variety of terrain and a double arch.

Amasa Back is a nice ride; but has lots of ledgy climbing initially.

Moab Rim has become an obscene oil-soaked scar of tire rubber and exhaust, and should serve as a monument to everything that's wrong with the 4 X 4 community. They make mountain bikers look like downright responsible stewards of the land.

For sightseeing stuff, be sure to see Dead Horse Point, or go into Canyonlands and stop at the Neck and view the Shaffer switchbacks. You'll put White Rim on your list of things to do next trip. Just for fun, climb Whale Rock.

Members who have read this thread: 0