If you only had a few hours in Moab...- Mtbr.com
    Ride what you want!!

If you only had a few hours in Moab...

what trail would you ride.

I just got a call from Fred da Trog who's passing through Moab and only had a couple hours tomorrow to ride. What trail should he ride? Fred is a solid rider so he doesn't need to stick to beginner trails.

I told him Slickrock should only take a couple hours and is a trail that everyone should at least do once. Are there better trails there, but I don't know how long they take. What would recomend for someone sho has a few hours to kill.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

Who's that guy?

Slickrock or Amasa back

I was in the exact same situation in spring. Just had time for one quick ride. I did Slickrock and I rode it better than I ever had before. I think it was because I was pushing myself since I had a non-biker waiting for me in the car back at the parking lot.

Otherwise, Amasa back is always good and is a short drive from town.

Slow and steady gets you...7th place.

"Hey! Where is everybody going??"

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    what trail would you ride.

I just got a call from Fred da Trog who's passing through Moab and only had a couple hours tomorrow to ride. What trail should he ride? Fred is a solid rider so he doesn't need to stick to beginner trails.

I told him Slickrock should only take a couple hours and is a trail that everyone should at least do once. Are there better trails there, but I don't know how long they take. What would recomend for someone sho has a few hours to kill.

george
    Soverign is another that might be worth a look, it's not the typical Moab ride but very fun and could be done in a few hours. Might be a moto mess if he's doing it afternoonish on Sat though. If he's never been there Slickrock might be the way to go, quick, fun, and unique to Moab.
    Sipping the Knolly Whisquillappa

mtbr member

Porcupine

No contest imho. Pay one of the local services to shuttle you to Porc and skip all the fire road into the fun stuff and you'll have time to do Amassa back first; just remember to take the left halfway down on the way back out after Amassa back so you can do the exposed little singletrack instead of the jeep road back to the parking area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

amasa back

My vote is for Amasa Back. Park at the lot on the road up to Hurrah Pass (the lot that is about 1/4 mile from the trailhead itself--don't waste time riding the road from town to the trail head). Figure 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hr. round trip. I like it for the variety of riding and the scenic wonder of the entire ride.
    Only time for one ride can mean anything. I'd do Porc some other time because I think that the whole shuttle thing would just take too long. Slick Rock Trail itself, of course, is a must ride. You could do the entire loop under 2 hours if you're both fit and bust a!!. I think Sovereign is a great ride, as well. My vote still goes for Amasa Back. It's close to town (Sovereign is a drive north out of town) and the scenery is great. Done in record time up and down Amasa? Sure, Slick Rock is next! Your legs should be plenty worn out for the drive to wherever it is you're headed to after Moab.

Ride what you want!!
    Got some email and it looks like they found Amasa Back on their own.

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber