if you had time for one ride in SLC...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    230

    if you had time for one ride in SLC...

    I know this kinda vague and variable from person to person, but I got time for one ride on the way back from St G. We're strong XC riders looking for an hour or two ride.

    Thanx,
    Archie

  2. #2
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,123
    Flying Dog up by Park City in the Glenwild trail system. Ride it counterclockwise.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  3. #3
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,596
    yeah, except is it is covered in snow.

    The Bonneville Shoreline is your only longish option this time of year in SLC. Actually a very pretty XC trail with great views of the city. Start on the City Creek end if you want to maximize the scenic section.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  4. #4
    Picture Unrelated
    Reputation: zebrahum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,123
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    yeah, except is it is covered in snow.

    The Bonneville Shoreline is your only longish option this time of year in SLC. Actually a very pretty XC trail with great views of the city. Start on the City Creek end if you want to maximize the scenic section.
    Right. Reading comprehension needs some work early in the morning I guess.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

  5. #5
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky
    yeah, except is it is covered in snow.
    Spaceghost, the Twins, Blip and I couldn't make it all the way up to the Glennwild towers on Sunday due to the white devil still covering the ground-and the lower backside stuff to the Near East turned Chumley's 40lb bike into a 45lb bike within a matter of feet. There's enough dry dirt to do epic 3 mile hot laps up there, but Flying McDog et all... has a way to go.

    Or you can go get your epic double track/hike-a-bike on out at 5 Mile Pass on the I-Cup XC race loop. Diggler, Randy, Randy Jr., Randy Jrs Grandpa, Clive, T-Bone, Brandy and Brandy's young daughter Brandywine will most likely be out there getting their 'quad on.'

    Just remember that the rules of engagement are different on the 4 wheeled donkey: Bikes yield to them no matter what. And the fatter they are the more you have to pull over and the longer you have to wait.

    Meaning: I'd bring your ski's.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    2 hour ride.

    City creek to the radio towers and back then city creek to bobsled. Less then 2 hours if you are even kinda fast.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  7. #7
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    You could start a revolution and climb up the Bobsled so as to 'earn' your descent back down.
    By the time you recover from the floppy haired kid in a gently cracked skate lid plowing into you, your ride will be around the 2 hour mark.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,918

    Thats funny

    I have actually been thinking about starting to climb up the bobsled. I see people pushing 50 lb bikes up it all the time so I figure the gentlemen agreement that made it downhill only route has been long forgotten.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

    http://www.vrbo.com/392904

    PM me

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5
    Please don't climb up the bobsled. First off, it would suck, and there are at least three better ways to get up there. Second off, the whole fun of going down will be ruined if you have to slow down or stop for other riders trying to go up.

    If you want to do laps on it, turn left at the exit at the bottom, first left again at the next street, first left one more time, go to the end of that street and get on the trail, cross the bobsled at the midpoint just above the first manufactured jump, then climb the trails up the side hill until they meet with that big wide trail that takes you to the top. Easier and safer, plus I won't run into you head first doing 30. Win win.

  10. #10
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Meow
    Please don't climb up the bobsled. First off, it would suck, and there are at least three better ways to get up there. Second off, the whole fun of going down will be ruined if you have to slow down or stop for other riders trying to go up.

    If you want to do laps on it, turn left at the exit at the bottom, first left again at the next street, first left one more time, go to the end of that street and get on the trail, cross the bobsled at the midpoint just above the first manufactured jump, then climb the trails up the side hill until they meet with that big wide trail that takes you to the top. Easier and safer, plus I won't run into you head first doing 30. Win win.

    I hear what you're throwin' down, but I think Pedalfaraway makes a valid point with all the uphill 'push' traffic that takes place now. I remember years and years ago that there were a few 'core' guys that would climb up the Bobsled. Right about the time the new uphill push crew were pissing the bed. What's the difference between some anorexic XC guy in a LiveStrong kit pedalling up vs. some dumb kid pushing his DH bike? I would argue that the dumb kid is taking up twice the space as he's walking next to his bike. Whereas the XC uber climber guy is the width of his sparrow self and easier to get around. Plus he's not looking backwards the entire time watching Chester case the car gap again.

    I've never done it personally, but I'd like to try.

    Unfortunately, unlike the 'regulated' trails in PC like Ant Farm and Cut Throat Downhill, the Bobsled doesn't have a designated traffic pattern along with little signs.

    Just sayin'.

  11. #11
    JMH
    JMH is offline
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Reputation: JMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,659
    Quote Originally Posted by slcrockymountainrider
    Plus he's not looking backwards the entire time watching Chester case the car gap again.
    I think you guys should both consider yourselves lucky that you didn't encounter THIS junkshow last year... It was the most ridiculous thing I've seen yet. And I have photos of some crazy stuff happening on Bobsled.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails if you had time for one ride in SLC...-13611955_6a6ba719d3_o.jpg  


  12. #12
    Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Reputation: slcrockymountainrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,119
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    I think you guys should both consider yourselves lucky that you didn't encounter THIS junkshow last year... It was the most ridiculous thing I've seen yet. And I have photos of some crazy stuff happening on Bobsled.
    That's actually me there in the white jersey with the hot pants and Oakley Blades sort of in the back by the guy standing in the crowd.
    You'll notice the trail etiquette employed by me as I'm off to the side with a foot down patiently yielding to the uphill traffic.
    What's missing in this photo was that Chumley failed to yield the trail to the climbers and was verbally chastized by that guy in the lycra kit. It's to be expected though. Chumley rides a Specialized .

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.