If you had 1 mtn bike for Utah...what would it be and why?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

If you had 1 mtn bike for Utah...what would it be and why?

Care to share your thoughts?

I know the idea of only one bike is borderline heresy, but relocating from the woods of the Pacific NW to the mountains of Utah has my 1st gen TRANCE on the chopping block and would love to get some regional perspectives.

Thanks

Old and moldy in the PNW

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toddwmac View Post

I know the idea of only one bike is borderline heresy, but relocating from the woods of the Pacific NW to the mountains of Utah has my 1st gen TRANCE on the chopping block and would love to get some regional perspectives.

Thanks

Old and moldy in the PNW
    First question, Do you wear lycra?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Only when my spandex is muddy.

Cactus Cuddler
    All-mountain, stopwatch indifferent on uphill sections - 140mm 29er or 150-160mm 650b bike.
    Lively trail, rounded bike that won't be pedaling a bonus pound of rubber uphill just to put an exclamation point on the descent - 120mm 29er or 130-140mm 27.5" bike.

In short, with some refitting, your Trance might be absolutely excellent, or at a minimum a good reference point to see where you want to go with a new setup.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I hate this question ...there are many types of trails ranging from xc to dh and it all depends on what you like to ride and how you like to ride it.

For me personally 5-6" of travel and slack that also pedals uphill well. But again thats based on the type of terrain I like to ride, and how I like to ride it.

Theres no perfect bike for Utah, theres only the perfect bike for YOU.

mtbr member
    sb6c or nomad

dedicated beater
    May 2009
    I only have 1 mountain bike -- a 2009 Heckler and it's been great for everything I've encountered in Utah, Oregon, Idaho, and Colorado, Wyoming and Nevada.

mtbr member
    I'm moving to the Ogden area soon and my only bike is a Salsa Beargrease. I'm really hoping the fatty doesn't limit my trail choice or my aggressive riding style. I've already added a Bluto, but a plus wheelset may be a priority out there. If that doesn't cut it I would like to try a slack HT like the new RSD Sergeant!

mtbr member
    sb6c or nomad
    ...or a rigid singlespeed. Or something in between. Like dmar123 stated, it's really hard to say what the best 1-bike quiver is. Do you want to crank out miles on machine built trails in PC (after riding up on your bike vs. a car) or would you lean towards shuttling The Whole Enchilada every weekend in the fall?

Almost guaranteed that you'll sacrifice something for a one-bike quiver. Based on mine and my riding partner's choices, my suggestion is to buy something with good suspension technology (DW-link or VPP) that had decent travel (140-160mm). Depending where you ride in northern Utah, perhaps swap out for faster rolling / lighter tires in summer (if you're into cranking out miles), then go to more aggressive tires in the fall->spring if you're riding down south in the desert.

tellhama also pretty much sums it up succintly.

mtbr member
    In reality, there isn't much gnar here. Seems like a short travel XC bike can soak anything up that Ogden provides. We used to have one good rock garden north of the Nature center until some duchebag took the good rocks out. Personally, I've been riding a new hardtail 29+ all season, and haven't ran into any terrain it was bad for. Been lots of fun.

Frame Building Moderator
    Step 1: Bring your existing bike with you.
    Step 2: Ride the crap out of the trails for a year.
    Step 3: Decide what new bike (if any) you want.

Utah has a wild variety of riding. If you're just in the Wasatch front/back, anything is fine but most folks ride basically XC bikes. If you spend a lot of time going to Moab, you'll want more burl/travel. But no need to freak out and buy something now when you have no actual knowledge of the riding.

Scratch that. Send me $5k, I'll take care of you. You definitely need a new bike, like, now.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I live and ride here, and my vote goes for Santa Cruz Tallboy. But, like everyone else said, to each his/her own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am riding a '12 Cannondale Carbon F29r and it works just fine for me. Guys I ride with are surprised I ride the same places they do on their FS bikes. Honestly I don't know any different since all I have ever ridden is hardtails. As Walt said ride what you have and check everything out then decide. You may find out your current ride works just fine. I want a FS, but I am not in any hurry to get one.
    '18 Scalpel Si Carbon 2 Eagle
    '12 Flash 29r C3 with a few mods
    '10 Synapse 5 Carbon with a few mods as well..:)

Thin Man on a Fat bike
    I generally followed Walt's advice, rode a Ibis Mojo SL for a few years, developed a dislike for sand and staying just on trails without exploring which led to this, a four season go anywhere machine.

7 1/2" of travel front and rear including tire deformation and just over 29 lbs.

If you had 1 mtn bike for Utah...what would it be and why?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks everyone....some great perspectives and advice. Its fun jumping back into this world. Much appreciated.

And Walt....the check is in the mail.

Clyde
    Consider getting a longer travel fork for your trance. The change geometry makes it easier to handle in the steepest cents and the lightweight trance climbs well. I took my ibis mojo from 140 to 160 up front which made a world of difference in Moab, Crest and AF canyon trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

mtbr member
    I've lived in Park City for 26 years. I ride a Yeti SB5c. It's my one bike. Before that, a Pivot 5.7c which my pleasure unit of 37 years recently confiscated as her own.

Frame Building Moderator
    Oh man you better hope she doesn't find out you wrote that...

-W

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I ride a Yeti SB5c.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

Best riding bike I ever owned and the only one I regret selling. The Switch Infinity suspension is the real deal. I rode it all over Oregon, SW Utah and So Cal. It climbs well, descends well and can be built at 24 lbs without getting crazy.
    Carpe Diem!!

mtbr member
    We were married the whole time I was in the Navy....She's used to it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Mach6 with enve m70hv wheels, and while we are at it Push elevensix in the back.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have 5 mountain bikes.

Ranging from a light, fast XC race bike (Gary Fisher Mt Tam), a 29er hard tail trail bike (Raleigh XXIX+G), a Trek Remedy 9.8 in 29er format, a Drop-my-250lbs-ass-from-25-feet-to-flat-and-says-thank-you-may-I-have-another (Transition Dirtbag) to a purpose built DH Sled (Yeti 303RDH).

If I had to pick a single bike and then get rid of the rest? Without any question or second thought, the Trek Remedy (or similar bike, like a Specialized Enduro, Giant Reign, Pivot Mach 6, etc) would replace them ALL.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have a full-squish trail bike (Specialized Stumpjumper 29) and it seems like a lot of other people around here have something comparable as far as travel/geo goes. Like most places, a hard tail XC bike is probably the most ideal for most of the riding around here, but a big trail bike makes everything a lot more fun, including the lift serve stuff up in the mountains. If I could do it over again, I'd get a 27.5+ bike... not because it'd be better for the trails around here, but because I'm a big boy, I value traction on descents over speed on the climbs, and it'd probably allow me to ride all winter.

mtbr member
    27.5- Yeti SB5c = Triple R
    29'er- Yeti SB5.5c = Triple R

Ride, Rip and Relax
    Yeti SB165
    Yeti SB150
    Yeti SB130 AXS
    Yeti SB100
    Yeti SB5.5
    Orbea Rallon
    Devinci Spartan
    Devinci Troy

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Pivot switchblade with a set of 29s and plus

boardguru
    Oct 2009
    Loving my Salsa Bucksaw. I am currently riding it in Oregon on the McKenzie River Trail. No complaints whatsoever. I ride mainly in the Ogden area when back home in Utah.

mtbr member
    Canfield Riot

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For my first 5 summers of Utah living: Niner WFO
    Starting tomorrow: Evil Wreckoning w/ Push 11-6 Rear

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toddwmac View Post

Thanks

Old and moldy in the PNW
    Bikes I would consider for a one bike only would be Giant: New Trance Advanced, or Reign, Santa Cruz: Bronson, (geometry is right between the Trance and Reign) or Foes: Mixer Trail.

mtbr member
    I would lean more towards the Santa Cruz HighTower 135-140 will get you up and down pretty much any trail here.