Ideal tire setup for St. George/Hurricane?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    133

    Ideal tire setup for St. George/Hurricane?

    Going to be making the trip down towards the end of Feb....already getting stoked and getting gear squared away.

    So, for those who regularly ride the StG area- what do you think would be the ideal tire combo for the area trails? I'm not trying to overthink this; I have ridden there and I know that any tire will work. I also know that the trails vary quite a bit. Just wondering what locals would pick for an all-around setup.

    I currently run Rekon 2.6 front and Ikon 2.35 rear which works great for Southern Idaho. Many others to choose from though....DHF 2.6, Forekaster 2.6, XR2/3/4, Trailking, etc.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MSU Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by gartenmeister View Post
    So, for those who regularly ride the StG area- what do you think would be the ideal tire combo for the area trails? I'm not trying to overthink this; I have ridden there and I know that any tire will work.
    I think you've answered your own question. Just make sure you have plenty of sealant in your tires and give your bike the "once over" to make sure everything is in working order. Everyone's preference is predicated on how they ride, as much as where they ride. Only you know what your priorities are.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,396
    FWIW, Over the Edge runs Trail Kings and/or Mountain Kings on all their rental/demo bikes. I've run the gamut of tire variations out there and the only one I had issues with was a Schwalbe Rock Razor which was so bad on the Zen Trail that I replaced it mid trip, something I've never done on any trip.....ever!!!
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: clintj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    170
    Not a local, just another Idahoan who rode several trails down there last year. I'm over in the east end where slate and lava rock are frequent companions.

    My standard setup is Minion DHF/DHR2, 2.3 width, with the Exo sidewalls running tubeless. Plenty of grip and no flats, though I did have plenty of scuff and scrape marks on the sidewalls from the rocks on Zen and other chunky trails.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: can't get right's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,294
    Local for 20 yrs, ridden everything you have heard of a gazillion times.

    What you have is good.
    I am currently running an Ardent 2.4 dual up front and an IKON 2.35 rear. The IKON is has been my fav rear tire since it came out. The Ardent is serviceable, I have no pros or cons for the tire other than I got a good deal on it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jgusta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,967
    Quote Originally Posted by gartenmeister View Post
    Going to be making the trip down towards the end of Feb....already getting stoked and getting gear squared away.

    So, for those who regularly ride the StG area- what do you think would be the ideal tire combo for the area trails? I'm not trying to overthink this; I have ridden there and I know that any tire will work. I also know that the trails vary quite a bit. Just wondering what locals would pick for an all-around setup.

    I currently run Rekon 2.6 front and Ikon 2.35 rear which works great for Southern Idaho. Many others to choose from though....DHF 2.6, Forekaster 2.6, XR2/3/4, Trailking, etc.
    I have faired well with Bontrager XR4s the past couple of years there. Good in rock and loose conditions that still roll well. Regardless of tire choice, prepare for your tires to get worn down a good fair amount, especially if running any softer compound tire. So, when there I take a spare tire or two and usually roll on tires that are at least a half worn, since usually thrashed after a full week of rock scrambling. Low tread, high volumed harder rubber compound (60 duro) tire makes most sense there to me like a 2.4 Ardent EXO. Love the riding there and will be there for a week just after you during the first week of March.

    FWIW, I think the 2.6 Forekasters would be aweful there due to taller tread. I have the 2.35s that I use periodically for PNW wet loam. My buddy didnt like his DHFs (front/back) there as well due to too slow and tall tread on the rock, whereas they are his go to tires here in PacNW
    Ride On!

  7. #7
    Frame Building Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: Walt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,489
    There is nothing so weird in St. George that completely normal tires/whatever you normally ride won't work just fine. It's mountain biking. Dirt and rocks. Go ride what ya brung.

    -Walt

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    There is nothing so weird in St. George that completely normal tires/whatever you normally ride won't work just fine. It's mountain biking. Dirt and rocks. Go ride what ya brung.

    -Walt
    Agreed....
    Also, the more you ride on rock, the less tread pattern matters. Sidewall durability however, matters.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    328
    I have a trip booked end of march there and I'm planning to run my extra set of 2.6 29's rekons front and rear and take off my DHF/Agressor off the Ripmo.

    Only thing I worry about is for the trails where there is more dirt that rock (and please tell me where they are!!) the Rekons may wash out a bit. I still have nightmares of riding with some speed in Vegas-bootleg of flying off corners into the abyss with less aggressive tires when I was there last year.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    133
    OP here. I actually pulled off my 2.6 Rekon due to concerns over wash-out and (more so) the durability. Rekon has a great volume-to-weight ratio but I am afraid the rocks might kill it.

    Currently experimenting with a Bontrager XR4 2.4 on the front, matched with a XR3 2.35 on the back. I think this is a good all-around combo. The XR4 has much, much better cornering grip than the Rekon. Unfortunately it is less cushy and somewhat draggier. The XR3 is similar to my beloved Ikon 2.35, but perhaps a little slower.

    Might try an XR4 in 2.6 next, though I will have to take my fender off. Wish they made a XR3 in 2.6.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: k2rider1964's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,396
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale-Calgary View Post
    I have a trip booked end of march there and I'm planning to run my extra set of 2.6 29's rekons front and rear and take off my DHF/Agressor off the Ripmo.

    Only thing I worry about is for the trails where there is more dirt that rock (and please tell me where they are!!) the Rekons may wash out a bit. I still have nightmares of riding with some speed in Vegas-bootleg of flying off corners into the abyss with less aggressive tires when I was there last year.
    Yes, there are trails that are more dirt than rock....JEM Trail, Hurricane Rim and pretty much everything in St George (Zen might be the exception). I've never ran the Rekon as the reviews on it always seemed so mixed. I see plenty of DHF tires out there though I don't think something that burly is necessary, it can't hurt. I usually have an Ardent 2.4 up front but ran a Schwalbe Magic Mary last trip and was very impressed with it's grip at higher speeds on the rock. As far as the back tire goes, Aggressor in some shape or form on every bike, every trail. Throwing a new one on next week for our trip to Phoenix.
    2019 Ibis Ripmo
    2019 Yeti SB5 (Sold)
    2018 Intense Tracer (Sold to son)
    2017 Intense Primer

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    328
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Yes, there are trails that are more dirt than rock....JEM Trail, Hurricane Rim and pretty much everything in St George (Zen might be the exception). I've never ran the Rekon as the reviews on it always seemed so mixed. I see plenty of DHF tires out there though I don't think something that burly is necessary, it can't hurt. I usually have an Ardent 2.4 up front but ran a Schwalbe Magic Mary last trip and was very impressed with it's grip at higher speeds on the rock. As far as the back tire goes, Aggressor in some shape or form on every bike, every trail. Throwing a new one on next week for our trip to Phoenix.
    Thank you for the suggestions

Similar Threads

  1. St. George/Hurricane Trip Planner
    By shelbster15 in forum Utah
    Replies: 682
    Last Post: 05-26-2019, 10:27 PM
  2. St George/Hurricane gravel grinder needs
    By yourideit in forum Gravel Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2012, 04:55 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 04:13 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-18-2011, 06:59 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 10:21 PM

Members who have read this thread: 13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.