Icebox/Wheeler trail- Mtbr.com
    MTBR member
    Jan 2007

Icebox/Wheeler trail

Recommend me a loop that incorporates Icebox Canyon and Coldwater Overlook. I'd like to start at the base of Wheeler canyon (by the dam), and put in 10-20 miles. I've ridden some Snowbasin trails, but quit years ago after being discouraged by all of the equestrian damage. I'd like to give it another shot, as I've heard good things about this area lately. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Start at the bottom of Wheeler, pedal up Wheeler to Art Nord, across the street and up East fork, across the Snowbasin road to green pond, green pond to needles and down to the resort, across the fire road to coldwater, up and down coldwater, down maples to the icebox turnoff, down icebox and down wheeler to finish.

Should be a good ride, and in the neighborhood of 15 miles.

Been riding up there a bit and the trails are in pretty good shape so far this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by onesprung60
    Start at the bottom of Wheeler, pedal up Wheeler to Art Nord, across the street and up East fork, across the Snowbasin road to green pond, green pond to needles and down to the resort, across the fire road to coldwater, up and down coldwater, down maples to the icebox turnoff, down icebox and down wheeler to finish.

Should be a good ride, and in the neighborhood of 15 miles.

Been riding up there a bit and the trails are in pretty good shape so far this year.
    This is a great loop. Did it last week after hearing about Coldwater for the first time. What a great ride.

MTBR member
    Jan 2007
    I rode this loop today. I was unimpressed. Most of the trails have a great deal of loose gravel (big stuff too). The trails are thrashed from the horses, and there is sh!t everywhere (plenty of horses too). It is also quite barren. I've rode many of these trails over the last 15 years (just not as a loop), and am reminded why I skip them every time I go up there. I just can't get past how tore up the trails are from the horses. I know a lot of people enjoy this area, I just don't see why? I am not trying to offend anyone, It's simply my opinion. It's unfortunate too, because I live right at the bottom of the canyon almost). OK, let the flaming begin.

Members who have read this thread: 0