I think I saw a Bob Cat last night...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

I think I saw a Bob Cat last night...

The good news, Spin Cycle over in Deer Valley is mostly melted out. Only one snow patch, no mud, lots of debris though in particularly the "spin" part of the trail with one big-ass log that could do some damage. Luckily didn't hit it

But anyway, on my way up there, in a part of the area that was literally in the middle of nowhere (1/2-1 mile from any house) I think I saw a bob cat, right in the middle of the trail, fairly mellow. The only thing was, it was like a big ass tabby, fairly "normal" looking, full length tail, fairly mellow. Saw me and ran, but I caught up to him twice, he wasn't overly concerned at all... I have this crazy idea that maybe it was justa big ass house cat (possibly even living out in the wild?) -- I dunno, or maybe I just saw my first Bob Cat. I thought I would report. I wish I had my camera with me...

mtbr member
    if you're having any doubts at all then it probably was just a housecat. You'd know cos cougars look almost like small leopards, with big ears.

However, if you were in Park City and anywhere near the main street you could well have seen cougars. The place is crawling with them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You have me thinking here a little. I know it sounds messed up but this cat was big and also weird looking. It was stripped like a tiger but also had spots. It was a brownish tan color and black... A clear indicator was it's tail that seemed bery unique to me. It was almost tubular round but not long and not a little scraggly like a typical cat...

Anyway, I know this sounds messed up but I have a really wild looking cat, but he is medium-sized, about 12 lbs. This thing probably weighed 15-18lbs I would figure, was that big. But I started google-imaging the different cats. I think it cold have been a bob cat but I guess they have stumpy little tails with white tufts underneath. So there goes that. Otherwise I think it sort of looked like a Bob Cat. Could have been a small female or adolcent Lynx but again not that wild looking either... It definitely was not a cougar. According to the net there are two types of Lynx here, I could only find pictures of the Canadian Lynx...

So again, sounds messed up, might confirm all of your suspicions and answer my question, but it looked a lot like my cat but wilder and much bigger. But sort of playful and not overly scared of me as in "bolting" but he did sort of flolick away a few times. I should have checked the tracks. Anyway, maybe it was a house cat and I am crazy, but it was out in Deer Crest, no one lives out there full time, and we were a long way from home... So that is what is throwing me off...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bored Carp
    You probably saw a wild cat. People are pretty in tune with what "normal" is, and if it seemed unusual, bets are, it was. JMH and I once saw exactly the type of cat you describe, in City Creek, about halfway up the paved road. Kind of spotted, kind of stripey, with some length of tail. Definitely not a puma. We finally decided that it was a bobcat, not a Lynx, though I still have my doubts. It had really big feet and was also pretty mellow about our being around. Lynx are pretty rare here, from what I understand.

I once saw a puma in Malibu - it took me a minute to decide it was a puma and not a feral chow chow. Had to run all the facts in my head (long tail - check. graceful road-gap leap - check. :-)
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    There have been a couple of alerts at the Jeremy Ranch Middle School over the years for cougar sightings. I don't know what the Bobcat population here is, but aren't the ears on a Bobcat pretty distinctive (I think they are in the Lynx genus)? When my sons were younger and we went mountain biking up behind Moose Hollow, I'd stay at the back just in case one went for "tail end charlie"....now I put them in the danger position!
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleWhiteCaveman
    However, if you were in Park City and anywhere near the main street you could well have seen cougars. The place is crawling with them.
    They're also quite prominent in Whistler Village as well, as documented by this short film that everyone should watch....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vBV7RN83oEs&feature=related

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I called the mountain trails foundation and she said she hadn't heard any reports of anything out there, and will keep me posted. Honestly I am leaning more and more towards freakish house cat or something like that...

Here's another thread I started about it with good info and good comments. No way it was a bobcat as they don't have tails... I also doubt it was a mountain lion and probably not a Lynx, I dunno...

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=15777

mtbr member

Theprof wins

I particularly like the part about the need for grass to assist in the passing of hairballs.
    "The quality of the box matters little. Success depends upon the person who sits in it."
    The Red Baron
    I need a better box

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselcruiserhead
    full length tail
    From Wikipedia The adult male Bobcat is 28 to 47 inches (70120 cm) long, averaging 36 inches (90 cm); this includes a stubby 4 to 7 inch (1018 cm) tail.
    Probably was a former domesticated feline.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Members who have read this thread: 0