i street?- Mtbr.com

Thread: i street?

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008

i street?

What kind of stuff does I street have and when do you think it is going to be ready?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    www.go-ride.com

check locals corner.

There's a good range of jumps and freeride stunts there from 2ft gaps to 30ft gaps. Be careful not to destroy stuff in the early season conditions. Treat it like golf - bring a shovel and repair your divots. . .

NOT Team Sanchez

Best Analogy Ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    www.go-ride.com

check locals corner.

There's a good range of jumps and freeride stunts there from 2ft gaps to 30ft gaps. Be careful not to destroy stuff in the early season conditions. Treat it like golf - bring a shovel and repair your divots. . .

yes, do as P-townDave tells ya!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    The jumps were runnin OK 2 weeks ago whan it was 56 degrees out, since then there have been a few dustings of snow keeping it unrideable. I bet by the weekend the upper jumps will be good but the stuff in the gully will be wet. Great time for digging.

A lot of people ride freeride bikes there since many of the jumps are mountain bike style, but they are mostly still gaps that aren't rollable. If you're halfway decent on a hardtail the whole place is fun on one.

There are new jump lines that are hardtail/bmx oriented that are being built. They are not super stupid tall and are really fun. There's a mix of lippy jumps with rad berms that make it feel more mtb style then just bmx style.

It's also fairly loose up there so that keeps the bmx'ers away for the most part so the jumps stay mtb style which is great for most of us.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

Nov 2008
    Ok sweet are there any like ladder drops with transitions? How high are there if any?

biking is fun
    yeah there are a few ladder drops/gaps. there is a whole line with a 14 foot ladder gap then two ladders with about 2 foot drops but you can sail pretty far off them. there is alot of stuff to do up there. there are a few regular drops if you go looking from about 4 to 10 feet.
    there is also a slalom type track.

you will have to go up and explore.

like mentioned earlier only the upper section (big stuff) will be rideable.

Nov 2008
    Ok thanks probably this weekedn I will go look. By then I am sure most of the snow will be melted.

biking is fun
    should be a good time. just don't ride if its muddy anywhere. its a fun spot and hopefully it won't get trashed with it being a little muddy.

Nov 2008
    Ill go check it out Saturday...

mtbr member

Some questions for the I street regulars....

So, the talk about the jumps, stunts, and trails built up there got me thinking a bit so I thought I'd toss out some questions for your thoughts....

Q. I don't think any of the stuff up there is really legal, but since it's been around a while and nobody has really cared, I assume it's cool to go out and build, create new lines, whatnot. Anybody know for sure the status, who owns the land, policies?

Q. If it's cool to build there, what are the general rules (besides "Ya break it, ya fix it")?

Q. If you want to add something to an existing line (or change it), what's the normal plan? I mean, somebody built it originally, and other than fixing jumps, berms, trimming back growth, they probably wouldn't be too cool with big changes? Or is it a 'free-for-all' since it's not under the watchful eye of some sort of governmental/regulatory agency?

Q. New lines get put in that merge or cross others. What is allowed or proper etiquitte? For example, on the line climbingbubba mentioned with the wooden jumps, the 2nd wooden jump had it's tranny changed by some other guys building a larger jump with their trannies criss-crossing. Not really thinking about possible collisions (although that would suck) but their landing changed an existing line and is causing a potential disruption of "flow" on an older, more established line. Thoughts?

Q. Do you think the same process applies to semi-legal/illegal trails as opposed to fully legal ones? If they do (or do not), why? (Thinking about changes to the spine section on the wasatch crest trail and modifications to the Mill-D trail and all the debate are why I ask)

I'm very interested in everybody's thoughts - thanks.

Mar 2009
    Lets just say that if you have to ask these questions, you probably shouldn't build there.

Also, don't compare i-street to the Crest. Not the same. That is all. Thank you. Goodnight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PussNbooty
    Lets just say that if you have to ask these questions, you probably shouldn't build there.

Also, don't compare i-street to the Crest. Not the same. That is all. Thank you. Goodnight.
    WOW! Thanks for the insight. Let's just say that if you don't know who the TheProf is, then you probably shouldn't drop smarta#@ remarks in this forum. K, bye.

BTW, he is not comparing I street to Crest, just bringing up the general question of trail/jump line building etiquette.....

mtbr member

Awesome first post, really insightful and thought provoking.

I know what I think is proper, curious about what others think. As for the comment about comparison, please try reading first next time. No, thank YOU. Buh-bye.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

BootNPu ssy - thanks for making the transition from Pinkbike to MTBR. Don't mind what the other haterz on this forum think of your first post. I know you represent, drop huge hucks and boost giant tricks on all the I street jumps.

We should meet up for some huge gnar hucks and some leg humping and/or crotch grabbing.
    Last edited by drboudreaux; 03-13-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Mar 2009
    Where is i street?

stevelloydphoto.com
    May 2008
    Hey Prof,
    I jump at I street all the time. Have not built to much up there, but I think the general feel is If you want to change jumps you should have a really good reason for changing it. I hate it when i go up there and a line has been changed for the worse. I think if you want to build a new line that isn't in the way of a different line them go for it. I think that most of the people building stuff up there are the ones that go up there quite a bit and know who has built what lines.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slloyd
    Hey Prof,
    I jump at I street all the time. Have not built to much up there, but I think the general feel is If you want to change jumps you should have a really good reason for changing it. I hate it when i go up there and a line has been changed for the worse. I think if you want to build a new line that isn't in the way of a different line them go for it. I think that most of the people building stuff up there are the ones that go up there quite a bit and know who has built what lines.
    Thanks, Steve!

Ok.... here's why I'm asking. WAFTA has been working with land managers and has been developing legal freeride style trails. However, we think trails need to change and evolve over time (additional things added, etc) and want to have local riders providing some of this input on the things we're working on. I thought if I asked about I Street (being an area not 'officially' managed) about what people feel works, and how everybody gets along up there, it would be a good start for what we propose to land managers on the process for trail changes.

So, I'll hold my thoughts for a bit longer as I don't want to proceed without more input from y'all.....

PS: To the OP, sorry for the thread jack... I'll start a new one unless you don't care.
    Last edited by TheProf; 03-16-2009 at 07:43 AM.

mtbr member

...er...this is a bit embarrassing.

Besides the fact he is a ripper, The Prof is a major force behind a lot of the FR/DH building around here. There are few people who can claim a more legit "right" to be building somewhere. These questions are probably being asked for a good reason.

Anyone who feels they have a stake in building/maintaining places like i-street, and others, shoud really considor joining WAFTA instead of flaming people on the forums. We need the support.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    I'm gonna disagree with Lloyd just a bit. I Street has always been a bit of organized confusion. The only consistent line there is the main line that leads you into the step down/up. Otherwise, things have changed there constantly with the only real rule being you don't mess with the main line or The Style. I've seen so many ambitious projects start up only to fizzle out because things dried up, sometimes taking a good line and making it unrideable. The line to the right of Style is a good example. It used to be a nice rhythm section. It was slaughtered and turned to dirt piles until it was turned into sort of a 4X line which was damn fun until it was slaughtered again. Now, I'm not sure what's up with that line. Is it rideable now? I can also think of several of little features that were changed or just removed to make room for something else.

Anyway, there seem to be several groups that have their own ideas, and then somebody new to the area will come along with different ideas. I will say that things seem to have stabilized over the past year or two, partly I think because the guys at Go-Ride were doing some work up there. I'll also say that most of the work that goes into that place has been really good. bubba's line was a great addition, and the improvements to the main line were awesome. And honestly, even the work that fizzles had good intentions.

I think some organization at I Street would be a really great thing. Anybody who's seen it after a serious rain storm can attest to the fact that it's probably not sustainable long-term. The take-off for the step-down has moved back several feet from its original position. So, some simple drainage and planting would go a long way to ensure its future. There's also such a tiny window of time that you can really dig there, that it would be great to be able to gather lots of people to do some good work there.

It kills me that I left just as WAFTA was getting a foothold. You guys are doing some great things in Utah, and I appreciate it, even from 2000 miles away.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    It kills me that I left just as WAFTA was getting a foothold. You guys are doing some great things in Utah, and I appreciate it, even from 2000 miles away.
    Thanks for the support bags, even from 2000 miles away. When you come out for a visit this year, the Draper DH trail should be prime for riding. WAFTA is hoping to get rider support from a much broader base this year, so as to garner a stronger sense of involvement/pride in the trails.

Hopefully we'll see you on the trails sometime this summer!

WAFTA

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Where is I street? I've been hearing about it and i want to ride it.

Members who have read this thread: 0