I need a new LBS in salt lake- Mtbr.com
    Waiting for Godot

I need a new LBS in salt lake

One that caters to high end xc 29ers

thanks

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

My two favorites

Contender sells a lot of nice 29ers with tons of fancy bling in the store and is owned and staffed by road and XC racers. Definitely a high-end racing bike focus there. Lots of equipment to drool over and help lighten your wallet.

On the other hand, Go-Ride sells and services more big bikes. They have a more mechanic/tuning oriented shop, with more brake and fork small parts in stock. The focus is on 140mm bikes and bigger but everybody there spends a lot of time in the saddle riding a variety of bikes and terrain. And if a guy can overhaul and tune a DH race bike, he can certainly dial in an XC hardtail.

I would confidently take my bikes to either place, they are both top-level shops.

My 2 cents.

Team Sanchez
    Contender is definitely a blinged out shop, but just like every other shop in this state, if the salesman doesn't know the answer to a question, they try to BS their way through it. Be prepared to pay MSRP for everything too. I was blown away by how many high end road bikes they have on their floor. Their must have been $500,000 worth of frames and bikes on the sales floor. Time, Pinarello, BMC, Colnago ect ect. They do carry Niner bikes. I've heard great things about Go-ride, but have never been in there. I know they can get the Turner Sultan 29'er if that's your thing, as well as the Ventanas too.

Waiting for Godot
    I like go-ride for downhill stuff, but I went in there with a front brake problem and told them I had already beld it many many times, that was not the problem. So they bled the front brake, charged me, sent me on my way and the problem came back the very next day. I was not impressed. It was the bladder like I told them to check.

There is a huge xc crowd here, one reason why I moved to this area. Where are riders going?

mtbr member
    Revolution caters to some high end 29 inch stuff. For the most part there are some good people there too. And if you need stuff worked on Ryan is great.

Homer's problem child
    These questions usually seem strange to me for a couple reasons.

1. People that buy high end stuff are usually knowledgable and capable of fixing and selecting their own parts. Why go to a shop and pay retail?

2. 29'er parts are fundamentally the same as 26'er parts, bleeding a brake on a 29'er is the same as bleeding a brake on a 26'er, etc.... There are minor differences, such as some tire treads that suck on 26'ers work well on 29'ers, 29'ers often need bigger rotors/more powerful brakes to stop the larger inertia of the bigger wheel, some people prefer different gearing on 29'ers etc...

So finding a shop that specializes in 29'er doesn't make sense to me personally.
    The only reason it makes sense is if you just want some shop to go talk bro-brah 29'er jargon with. But can't you do that here in the 29'er forum? Personally, if the fork on my 29'er is acting up I'm going to take it to a shop that is good at rebuilding forks if I can't do it myself, not just the local 29'er bro-brahs. It seems like the majority of the wrenches at Wild Rose ride 29'ers and love to talk about them, but that is the last place I'd take my bike to get work done. I've seen several people limping their bikes off the trials due to poor WR work. Plus, WR charges $7.99 for a 29'er tube, just a standard 29'er PV tube. No thanks.

Personally I've had great service at Go-ride. They sell 29'ers (Ventana, Turner, Intense, and can probably order many more) and generally do very good work. They know what parts work well on the local trails and are never pushy. They are the best stocked shop in SLC, if you need small peice parts like a o-ring for the Juicy 7 banjo they have it, and due to them also selling a good volume via mail order they are almost always substantially cheaper.

My $0.02

B
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro....

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i vote revolution. great people! wild rose in the aves does a fair ammount of 29ers if thats closer to you

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I'll give another vote for Revolution. I've always been treated well there and Ryan does a great job.

mtbr member

Viva La Revolution!!!

They carry Niner, Titus 29ers, Intense 29ers, Cannondale 29ers, and have a lot of 29er forks and tires in stock. They also are very knowledgeable when it comes to "different stuff" Ive had a rohloff in there built into a wheel, various single speed and h bar set ups, soft tails, etc.. etc.. all of which they've known about. Also Ryan builds a mean wheel, as well as great mechanic skills. Im not associated with the shop in any other way than as a customer, so believe me they rock. ive ridden with both the owners, and can say they're very passionate about bikes, and just plain cool guys..,.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Go-Ride is the best bike shop I've ever been to. It may take a while to discover this. Just like any shop, there are good times and bad, but the service I have had as a dedicated customer has been above and beyond. Just think of the people working on your bike - they have been biking since the beginning and have been there, done that. There are only a few full-time folks and when there's a busy time (i.e. DV Nationals) things may slow down a bit, but I think their expertise and knowledge are worth it. To give an example, I bought a bike at a shop in town (to remain nameless), had a problem with the shock bushing and asked if they could supply me with one. "yep, it'll be here in 2-4 wks". I went to Go-Ride, who doesn't even carry the particular bike I have (which has this particular problem often) and they had me fixed and on my way in a few minutes for 5 bucks. They helped our local riders to discover what the problem with Fox 40's was well before Fox ever admitted there was a problem (if they actually ever admitted it) and we're all riding butter smooth forks now. Anyway, enough ranting. . .

Waiting for Godot
    Ok so everybody is clear, I will stand behind that Go-ride is a high quality shop with good people. That being said I was looking for a "revolution reccomendations".

I will check them out.

Bortis:
    I can and do maintain/fix my rigs. I ran into a problem that all my friends, this site and a few shops could not figure out. Not wanting to spend more than the brakes where worth by replacing part after part, going to a more experienced person made $$$$ sense.
    And although 26 and 29er's are similair, parts and the constant evolution of new bikes are not the same. A shop that can build me a rohloff rear wheel right is more valuable than a shop that is trying to unload their old bikes or willing to order a 29er that they don't normaly carry.
    A shop for buying/reccomending new stuff in the industry. And this most valuable site for information and new products/tech. I am so not that guy that hangs out in the shop. I am the one dusting you to the top of the hill and down. Just want a shop to support that kind of riding.

thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

You get what you pay for!

Salt lake Bike shops are like a box a chocolates..........
    I fix my own stuff, but when I can't,(be it time or experience) I don't mind paying for dependable, professional service and Contender is the best!

mtbr member
    I haven't been into Revolution since Happe sold it. How are things there?

Some would have me believe it has become Bingham's or Canyon Bikes...
    It's just frustrating sometimes being an Athena...

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    I am so not that guy that hangs out in the shop. I am the one dusting you to the top of the hill and down. Just want a shop to support that kind of riding.
    Damn, Bortis... OCR says he can dust you up and down the hill...

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    Damn, Bortis... OCR says he can dust you up and down the hill...
    I know, do you think he'd let me touch him, or at least stand near him? Once I touched John Elway, that was pretty cool, but this would be an entire new level, what with my massive climbing ability on 30-40 lb bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by OilcanRacer
    That being said I was looking for a "revolution reccomendations".
    Maybe you should change the title of the thread to "I need Revolution recommendations" or something like that then.

Good luck on your quest OCR.

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 01-07-2008 at 10:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bortis,
    If you get to touch/stand near him, can I touch/stand near you to perhaps get some extra speed and/or 'mojo'? I keep getting passed going downhill on trails and I'm starting to get pretty self conscious. . . am I fat? Don't answer that!

-D

Homer's problem child
    Quote Originally Posted by P-townDave
    Bortis,
    If you get to touch/stand near him, can I touch/stand near you to perhaps get some extra speed and/or 'mojo'? I keep getting passed going downhill on trails and I'm starting to get pretty self conscious. . . am I fat? Don't answer that!

-D
    Hmmm, I don't know. If OCR is as big of a stud as he says he is, after I touch him I may have to excuse myself to go touch myself in private for a while, usually it takes the SI swimsuit issue or the bra section of the Sears Catalog to drive me to actions like that. And I don't think you want to touch me or be near me after that.

I've never met you, but you're probably not fat, you're just "husky". I too shop in the "husky" section.

B
    Last edited by Bortis Yelltzen; 01-07-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0