I Love Mammoth. How about Park City?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I Love Mammoth. How about Park City?

My wife and I usually ride Mammoth Bike Park (blue square, some black diamond trails) during the 3rd week of July. Would we find anything comparable in Park City? We like the lift up, ride down, but if there are good XC trails, we'd like that too. (BTW: My wife is not a climber.)
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cc_math View Post
    My wife and I usually ride Mammoth Bike Park (blue square, some black diamond trails) during the 3rd week of July. Would we find anything comparable in Park City? We like the lift up, ride down, but if there are good XC trails, we'd like that too. (BTW: My wife is not a climber.)
    I'm a SoCal native as well and we usually get to Mammoth at least one a year as well. That being said, I usually only take the lift 2-3 times and ride more of the XC type stuff (Uptown, Downtown, Paper Route, etc...)

There's definitely less hardcore stuff at Park City overall but I personally think that overall, the riding is much better in the area, at least for my tastes. I would move to PC tomorrow if I could afford it....and still might if real estate is favorable in another 5 years. There's some super fun lift riding at Deer Valley and that's usually where I stay when riding lifts. The bottom line is you won't be disappointed.
    Carpe Diem!!

Frame Building Moderator
    Deer Valley is not as good as Mammoth, but it's pretty good. Fast quad lift and competent lifties get you up quick, then there's a good variety of trails to ride from basically XC to Flow to old school rutted dustpile rock garden DH.

I think you'd get bored after a full day (if you rode the whole day) because it's not that big of an area, but it's good for what it is.

The Canyons bike park is awful. Slow lifts, mediocre terrain, and limited vert (unless you want to do a million laps down Insurgent to finish every run). I'd say experienced riders would get bored there in a half day.

PCMR (or the south base area of Park City) is tourist central and has basically no riding you'd want to do on a DH (or even trail) bike. Some nice mellow XC and lift access, but if you like Mammoth you'd hate it, I'm guessing.

Really, PC is XC heaven. There is limited gnar and limited gravity stuff to do. It's great riding overall, but not if you're a pure gravity person. I'd go further east and hit Keystone/Winter Park if you want a real bike-park experience.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Thank you to both!
    Almost = Didn't

dft
    mtbr member
    i'll disagree with others in this thread.
    i live in socal and goto mammoth every summer and went to PC last summer.
    i'd say the lift riding in BETTER in PC than mammoth. don't get me wrong, i enjoy mammoth, but the soil blows there compared to PC. i like jumping and also tech DH.
    deer valley has tidal wave, a great jump trail (better than anything at mammoth) and also has black diamond rocky trails. and i loved canyons, great jumping there also (rally cat, dropkick, double down) and they have a rocky/technical long trail (forget name, canyon DH i think). so imo, you won't be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Thank you dft.
    Almost = Didn't

mtbr member
    I've never been to Mammoth but I love Park City. Amazing cross country trails. If you visit, be sure to ride the Wasatch Crest Trail. I think this is one of the top mountain bike trails in America, even though I was nearly struck by lightening while on it last year - be sure to check the weather reports before you go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cc_math View Post
    yes.

If your looking to ride lift served go to Deer Valley. There is enough there to keep you busy for a day or two. They are building a big (black diamond) jump line this year, part of it is built already, so they may have the top half of that open by 3rd week of July.

Or one day at Deer Valley and one day at Canyons would be fun. Canyons has some good stuff, enough to keep you busy for a day.

There are a handful of steeper technical trails in PC that you can pedal up to, but its mostly XC. If you want the steeper or more technical trails stuff like Empire, Red Bull, T and G, Blackforest, Moosehouse, Payroll, Red Coat, Insurgent, Hollys are all good ones. Theres also some more obscure stuff and under the radar jump trails around PC that if you ask some locals maybe they'll show you around.

There's a few freeride areas in PC that are fun like Trailside bike park and Road to Arcylon trail.

Wasatch Crest, Pinecone, Spiro, Mojave, Keystone, Robs, Big Water are all popular and just a few xc trails that have some ripping fast single track that will keep most happy regardless of ability level. Link any of these into a loop and your having a good time.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    yes.

If your looking to ride lift served go to Deer Valley. There is enough there to keep you busy for a day or two. They are building a big (black diamond) jump line this year, part of it is built already, so they may have the top half of that open by 3rd week of July.

Or one day at Deer Valley and one day at Canyons would be fun. Canyons has some good stuff, enough to keep you busy for a day.

There are a handful of steeper technical trails in PC that you can pedal up to, but its mostly XC. If you want the steeper or more technical trails stuff like Empire, Red Bull, T and G, Blackforest, Moosehouse, Payroll, Red Coat, Insurgent, Hollys are all good ones. Theres also some more obscure stuff and under the radar jump trails around PC that if you ask some locals maybe they'll show you around.

There's a few freeride areas in PC that are fun like Trailside bike park and Road to Arcylon trail.

Wasatch Crest, Pinecone, Spiro, Mojave, Keystone, Robs, Big Water are all popular and just a few xc trails that have some ripping fast single track that will keep most happy regardless of ability level. Link any of these into a loop and your having a good time.
    what he said. there is also a free bus that you can ride on with your bike, i used it a couple times, its cool! (gets you about 1000 of vertical). it gets busy though on weekends, best is weekdays.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Having ridden both Mammoth and the bike parks in PC, the biggest difference is the dirt. Even when the dirt in PC is dry after a long period without rain, its miles better than the sandbox texture of Mammoth's trails --- no landing drops and immediately sliding out.

Mammoth has more trails, but as others have said, Deer Valley is quickly growing and has a good mix of old school tech trails and new Gravity Logic flow trails. Tidal Wave, the blue flow trail is a ton of fun, and the new black trail should be great too once its built (think of a mini A-Line). Canyons is also pretty fun for a day, but in my opinion, not as well built and designed as the DV bike park.

Have fun out there!

mtbr member
    Thank everyone!
    Almost = Didn't