I have a dream

Printable View

• 03-06-2009
    jtrain
    I have a dream
    Heya everybody,

I have a dream. A dream where I get on my mountain bike with a tent in my backpack and trek into the back country for an evening away from EVERYTHING. I'm talking about biking 2-3 hours into the back country with a tent, sleeping bag, food and water to last me a night and then coming out early the next day. I live in Park City, does anybody have any recommendations that are either in the area, or somewhere in the state where I could do this (preferably without a large chance of being eaten by a mountain lion)? Has anybody done any camping while on their bike?

Thanks!

The Train
  • 03-07-2009
    frejwilk
    Bikepacking close to home
    Really? You live in PC and wonder where you could ride a couple hours and camp during a ride? I don't want to come across with attitude, but come on, just head up into those mountains... You probably live in one of the best places in the lower US for what you are describing. Right from your house no less.

If you can't wait three months, drive a few hours south. Lots of options in SE and SW Utah. A couple of (doable now) easy options in my neighborhood are White Rim from Moab, and Kokopelli trail without the LaSals. Both are easy two or three day 'bikepacking' trips. I've seen the potential for similar on the west side of the state, but you'd do better with someone else directing you there.

If you're serious, it's not as hard as you think. Just get out there and go!

Check here for more of this sort of thing.

Good luck,

FW
  • 03-07-2009
    jtrain
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frejwilk
    Really? You live in PC and wonder where you could ride a couple hours and camp during a ride? I don't want to come across with attitude, but come on, just head up into those mountains... You probably live in one of the best places in the lower US for what you are describing. Right from your house no less.

I'm aware that I live in a great place for this; which is why I'm looking for specific ideas from ya'll. I've only lived in Park City about a year, so I'm not intimately familiar with every trail around here or where it goes eh.

Quote:

If you can't wait three months, drive a few hours south. Lots of options in SE and SW Utah. A couple of (doable now) easy options in my neighborhood are White Rim from Moab, and Kokopelli trail without the LaSals. Both are easy two or three day 'bikepacking' trips. I've seen the potential for similar on the west side of the state, but you'd do better with someone else directing you there.

If you're serious, it's not as hard as you think. Just get out there and go!

Check here for more of this sort of thing.

Good luck,

FW
    Awesome, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!