Hymasa trail opens in Moab- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hymasa trail opens in Moab

This looks good.. More trail up on Amasa to extend the joy is always a good thing.

Here's a link.

Has anyone ridden yet?
    Last edited by KRob; 03-08-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

More Chasmism
    Rode it last Sunday (on the new Heckler). Fun climb that's much easier than the standard Amasa. Routing uses some of the Kayenta SS ledges above and below the ledges of the jeep road, so it gives different views in places and of course makes a great loop with Ahab.

Named for this guy, who when I rode with him shortly after he moved to Moab years ago, had just turned down an offer to join the Blue Man Group:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hymasa trail opens in Moab-tusher-red-random-drop-2.jpg  

beater

Hymasa trai opens in Moab

Looks interesting. Can't wait to explore it in a couple months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hfly View Post
    Rode it last Sunday (on the new Heckler). Fun climb that's much easier than the standard Amasa. Routing uses some of the Kayenta SS ledges above and below the ledges of the jeep road, so it gives different views in places and of course makes a great loop with Ahab.

Named for this guy, who when I rode with him shortly after he moved to Moab years ago, had just turned down an offer to join the Blue Man Group:
    Glad to hear it's up to your exacting standards! How are you liking the the new Heckler? Just read a comparison of bikes under $2500 in Dirt Rag and it sounds like they agreed with me: a lot of bike for the money.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

More Chasmism
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Glad to hear it's up to your exacting standards! How are you liking the the new Heckler? Just read a comparison of bikes under $2500 in Dirt Rag and it sounds like they agreed with me: a lot of bike for the money.
    The Heckler more than lives up to my (not so exacting) bike spec standards. I got the AM build which would run about 3.1K retail. Guy I bought it from who has a good relationship with the Santa Cruz people thinks that the Heckler feels better on the downs in Moab terrain than does the Bronson, and was thinking of getting one himself. You know I love that single pivot feeling. I'm also impressed how well the SLX rear der. "clutch" tensions the triple ring(compared to a double with a front tensioner, which I thought I might need given the single pivot, just to show how dated my knowledge is).

Even correcting for the likely psychologic effect, I do think I feel the 650b rear sticking better on the climbs (like the classic "stack" back up to the road to end Amasa). Can't say I notice the front wheel size difference that much, feels 26er-like nimble, which I'll call a good thing

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    been riding this a ton lately, really fun both going up or down. going up seems a little tougher than going up the old jeep road but much more interesting, imo. going down is nice and flowy. good alternative if you have riders in your group who are looking for a less-gnarly decent than ahab. upper hymasa to lower ahab is probably my current favorite dh run in the area.

so pumped on all this new singletrack in moab. thanks tyson, bryan, et al.

Desert Seeker
    Not much to add. Hymasa crosses the jeep road at several points so you can mix and match the route to your liking. I think the single-track is easier from a technical perspective. Maybe a little harder physically as it is longer than the jeep road. Rode it in both directions today and it works great as a climb and a descent. When things are busy there are lots of people climbing so that cuts into the fun quotient on the descent.

mtbr member
    Wow this ride was fantastic. We did a shorter version this past Sunday, Hymasa and Ahab, since some friends had to travel back to CO that afternoon. I loved it! I owe the trailbuilders a beer or three.

I have done the main Amasa route a number of times in the past, even once with hfly on an extended ride (that was unforgettable). The main route is great but it was nice to get off the road away from the stuck Jeeps ASAP.
    My brain's living room is my stomach.