Hwy128? (Moab towards Grand Junction)- Mtbr.com
    FM
    mtbr member

New question here. Hwy128? (Moab towards Grand Junction)

Hey-

Doing the annual Moab/Fruita/Grand Juntion trip with my buddies, leaving thursday...

I was wondering about taking hwy128 from Moab east towards Grand Junction. In the past, we have always back-tracked on hwy191 from Moab, back to I-70. Somebody heard that hwy128 takes longer even though it is a more direct route.

Personally I am more interested in scenery than making time, within reason. But, we will be taking a Van and a 19' RV, so we don't want to tackle anything to rough.

If anybody has an opinion on hw128, I woudl really appreciate it- how much longer might it take, is the scenery worth it, are their cool stops / conveniance/gas on the way, etc.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    It's scenic alright (along the Colorado River - red cliffs), but also very curvy in places and with little or no shoulder. I'd be worried with a 19' RV, but maybe someone on here actually has done it! I don't think there are any services along this road until you get back on the I-70.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

RV's on 128

You'll be fine with a 19'. I don't think there are any restrictions on length, but there is a spot with a 10' overhang, so if you carry stuff on top of your rig you might have an issue in that one spot.

Observed the recommended speeds on the curves, especially near the Dewey bridge, where the road is very narrow.

It is one of the most beautiful roads in the world. It cuts off about 10 miles from the 191 route, but it will take a little longer, especially pulling an RV.

I don't recommend it at night if you have never driven it before. It defeats the purpose anyway.

Jan 2005
    This is a must see. Watch for bikes. Take your time. Your speed can pick up a little north of Dewey.
    That over hang is nothing drastic.
    Cool stop is fisher tower, no services til Colorado.

FM
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys! I think we will go for it.

I am presuming we can make it from Moab to Fruita in 2hrs or less? No rush, just want to plan accordingly so we can ride that day.

The RV is a "class B" I think? not a "towed" RV. 19' total, just an extension on a van/truck front, nothing ridiculously huge. Driver seems OK with it.

Thanks again!

locked - time out
    I get stuck behind a Friggin RV every time I leave Moab on 128.

They just go slow as hell. Can be done. Nice drive.

Members who have read this thread: 0