Hurricane/Virgin/St George area next weekend 1/17-1/18- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Hurricane/Virgin/St George area next weekend 1/17-1/18

The Weather report says it's going to be mostly sunny close to 60 degrees in St George/Hurricane next weekend 1/17-1/18. I know it is going to rain tonight and tomorrow how quickly do the trails dry out (thinking mainly Gooseberry Mesa, or Gaucamole, or JEM areas)?

Thanks

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    bigjp, I was there during the Red Bull Rampage deluge at the end of last Sept. The trails around St. George such as Zen and the system to the north dry out fast. JEM should be good a couple of days after and probably the next day after a rain.

Over The Edge Sports in Hurricane can give you last minute trail advice.

Gooseberry is a problem. The road onto the mesa and on the mesa can get really ugly after a rain and it doesn't dry out for quite a while, like a week or more depending on circumstances. Part of the problem is that 4WD trucks just have to plow their way to the last trailhead before the road should be open and they leave deep muddy ruts. I've had to bike in from the first trailhead (the one with the toilets) because of this and it hadn't rained in at least a week. I have a 2WD van. Get local advice in Hurricane at OTE before driving up there.

While we prefer to stay in Springdale we had to stay in St. George last time. There is a good watering hole at George's Corner, St. George Blvd. Also, the Coronada Inn has cheap suites and hot tub and is a short walk away.

There are several nice bike shops in St. George but Redrock on Bluff Drive is our favorite.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jmpreston View Post
    I've had to bike in from the first trailhead (the one with the toilets) because of this and it hadn't rained in at least a week.
    Any good goose ride should start at the bathrooms anyway. It takes longer to drive the rest of the way than riding in, and you can't do the windmill trail if you don't park out there.

parking at the main turn off (cattle guard) isn't great, but its pretty reasonable too, if you can't drive in. that's the great thing about mountain biking - your bike is an awesome way to get around!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am looking to head down the same time and have a group I'm riding with Saturday but they are all bailing on sunday. PM me if you'd like to hook up for some riding out there. Or if anyone else is interested for that matter.

mtbr member
    Just ride the Zen trail whatever you do while you're down there. Best trail in the area. Suicidal Tendencies is amazing too.