Hurricane Rim/JEM/Gould's Trail loop- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hurricane Rim/JEM/Gould's Trail loop

Which direction do you recommend? I'm going to try and squeeze in this 22 mile loop this Thursday afternoon while my wife's doing some doctors appointments in St. George.

I've checked out utahmountainbiking.com and it looks like they suggest counter-clockwise starting on US 59 by the cellphone towers and doing Gould's first to JEM then back on Hurricane rim. This would give you the fun flowy downhill on JEM.

Any input on this? How long should this take? I'm thinking 2.5 to 3 hours. I'm a pretty strong rider riding alone.

If anyone's available on Thursday afternoon and wants to join me, that's cool too.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member

That the way I went

I was there 2 years ago. and that how the Locos took me. That the way we went it was Great. You can't miss that long swooping down hill.
    Have fun
    " They May forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them Feel"
    Carl. W. Buechner

mtbr member
    Definately counter-clockwise as the umb site recommends. Going down the JEM trail is what that loop is all about. I've heard that Goulds has dozens of puddles right now, so plan some extra time for that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    I've heard that Goulds has dozens of puddles right now, so plan some extra time for that.
    Unless it rains some more.... I can't imagine they'll still be there by Thursday, would they?

Also... do I need to plan any extra time for route finding?.... Or is it pretty well marked and straight forward?

mtbr member
    I was down there over the weekend and rode with a friend who does a lot of trail maintenance in the area, he said he was planning to ride the goulds trail with a shovel so he could dig drain trenches for the numerous puddles. The route is pretty strong, but I'd still take along the map and trail description. There are few intersections with roads on Goulds that require some routefinding to pick up the trail again. I remember there was one junction at a corral that was a little tricky. Also you have to hop a barb-wire fence at the end of Goulds, so don't wear any really expensive loose clothing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogey
    I was down there over the weekend and rode with a friend who does a lot of trail maintenance in the area, he said he was planning to ride the goulds trail with a shovel so he could dig drain trenches for the numerous puddles.
    There must be a lot of clay in the soil to hold water that long. I guess I thought all those trails were more sand based. We got pounded by rain Saturday and when I went monday there were a few puddles in the dips but by this morning they were all gone..... and the trails are packed, tacky and perfect. Yee hah

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Which direction do you recommend? I'm going to try and squeeze in this 22 mile loop this Thursday afternoon while my wife's doing some doctors appointments in St. George.

I've checked out utahmountainbiking.com and it looks like they suggest counter-clockwise starting on US 59 by the cellphone towers and doing Gould's first to JEM then back on Hurricane rim. This would give you the fun flowy downhill on JEM.

Any input on this? How long should this take? I'm thinking 2.5 to 3 hours. I'm a pretty strong rider riding alone.

If anyone's available on Thursday afternoon and wants to join me, that's cool too.

CC for sure. The upper (eastern) side of this loop is largely within clayey soils, while the lower parts (closer to the Virgin Rim and Hurricane Cliffs) are within Kaibab Limestone and are very reminiscent of the Cowboy Trails by Vegas, in fact, I think it is the same formation that underlies both of these trails. Regardless, we've had perfect weather here the last few days and I would be surprised if their was any mud at all. I did the Goose on Sunday and didn't see any mud on the mesa or below.

Your time estimates sound about right. The ride goes by pretty fast, but a longish climb or two near the end make it feel a little longer than it is.

I had just a couple of minor problems the first time I rode the loop. Near the start of the loop, you climb south up out of a small canyon from the highway. At the top, the double track turns to the east and you start decending. Watch carefully for the singletrack to the right, I'm pretty sure it's marked, but it is a small sign and hard to see. I think I flew by it intitially. The only other problem area, as mentioned by an earlier poster, is at the corral. As you are heading east and get close to the corral, double tracks and atv trails seem to braid out all over. Just stay to the left on a main track that is about as close as you can get to the corral and keep heading up hill and due east and then south. If you're following a track that heads south before or as you get to the corral, it is too soon.

The rest is well posted and shouldn't be a problem. Barb-wire is no longer a problem when you get to the top of Goulds. There is a nice bike ramp you simply ride over. Also, as you get to the posted parking area for JEM, you need to keep heading north on the main road a 100 yds or so past the parking to get to the start of the trail on the left.

Enjoy! This is one of the best true xc rides in the area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk421onthemic
    Enjoy! This is one of the best true xc rides in the area.
    Thanks for route tips. I've ridden JEM once about 3.5 years ago but I had such a stiff head wind going down the descent that it wasn't as enjoyable it should've been. I've been looking forward to returning ever since..... And now with this loop option it makes it all the more tempting. I usually do Gooseberry when I'm in the area instead, but my time restraints, my need to drive clear to Sedona that night, and the fact that I hadn't done Hurricane rim or Gould's made it the obvious choice.

Looking forward to tearing it up.

Brass Nipples!
    I should be available in the afternoon if you want a riding partner. What time are you going to be riding?
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    What time are you going to be riding?
    Depends.

Still working out logistics of me getting to Hurricane and her to her appointments with one car with the least amount of hassle.... but it looks like either 11:00 or 12:00

I sent you a PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0