Hurricane Mountain Bike Festival. Who's going?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hurricane Mountain Bike Festival. Who's going?

Signed up last night. Should be a good time.

Can anyone tell me how the rides work. Are there organized rides? Shuttles? etc AA, A, B, C levels etc?

I can find all the regular rides I want in the area on my own (Done them many times). Mostly going for the demos and the social aspect. Does anyone know if there'll be AA options for stuff like Flying Monkey, Nephi's Twist, Grafton, or some Off-Goose options. Is Quentin guiding?

I posted an email to OTE but haven't heard back.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Unless it's changed, every morning you met up in town at the community center/park and they had guides set up for certain areas. You picked the group you wanted to go out with. I know the one day we went to Gooseberry with Monte, we split up into a "fast group that knew where we were going" and a slower paced group that was new to the area and they stayed with Monte. That was about the extent of splitting up though. Not sure if Q was guiding or not as he may have been too busy with the event.

The social part of the event was pretty good and will just get better with time as more and more people show up. IMO, Gooseberry is pretty much an unknown to most of the people I run into out West. Fruita isn't any better known to people I run into but their festival is 19 years strong and the event has a VERY vibrant social vibe due to the large crowds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'll be slinging "adult beverages" for them on Fri and Sat nights in the beer corral and leading some sort of ride on Sunday for them. Probably one of the mesa's but they haven't told me which. Pretty stoked

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by furrykid View Post
    I'll be slinging "adult beverages" for them on Fri and Sat nights in the beer corral and leading some sort of ride on Sunday for them. Probably one of the mesa's but they haven't told me which. Pretty stoked
    Dang. I won't be there Sunday. Not leading any rides on Friday or Saturday?

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Looks like they are having a good turnout. I got to Gooseberry about 6:30 this morning and of course I was the only one around besides sleeping campers. I got back to my truck about 11:30 and the parking lot looked like a shopping mall had opened up. Soooo many people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nope, I'm turning wrenches at Zion Cycles during the day both Fri and Sat, but I'm stoked to help those folks out!

mtbr member
    Had a great time this past weekend at the Hurricane MTB fest. Great rides, immpressive number of demos available, good music, good food, good company.

This is one of the best demo/festival bargains around for $40. Surprised there weren't more people there. My guess would be 50-75 attendees.

Finally popped the Flying Monkey cherrry and got a couple Nephi Twist bonus runs to boot. Thanks for guiding, Crazy Carson!

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13515266114/player/47dda7d3df" height="600" width="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13515046323/player/1becd4ae54" height="600" width="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13515322995/player/5d72e50abc" height="600" width="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13514786125/player/137b6f2605" height="600" width="800" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Yeah, Carson is Crazy. I rode with him once on a group ride out at Guacamole. Him and Quentin were bouncing off stuff like they were in a pinball machine...what do you expect for a guy that's taking a stab at the Red Bull Rampage!!

As far as the small # of attendees, even though it's been all over the magazines and MTB internet sites, few people still know about the area. I mention it all the time and 90% of the people I ask about it in SoCal have never heard of Gooseberry Mesa which is obviously the crown jewel. Everybody knows about Sedona though, even though St George is almost (2) hours closer.

I'd be interested to know where most of the crowd comes for the Fruita Festival as it is 4-6 times larger. I know it's 13 hours from SoCal but that doesn't stop us from making the drive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    Yeah, Carson is Crazy. I rode with him once on a group ride out at Guacamole. Him and Quentin were bouncing off stuff like they were in a pinball machine...what do you expect for a guy that's taking a stab at the Red Bull Rampage!!

As far as the small # of attendees, even though it's been all over the magazines and MTB internet sites, few people still know about the area. I mention it all the time and 90% of the people I ask about it in SoCal have never heard of Gooseberry Mesa which is obviously the crown jewel. Everybody knows about Sedona though, even though St George is almost (2) hours closer.

I'd be interested to know where most of the crowd comes for the Fruita Festival as it is 4-6 times larger. I know it's 13 hours from SoCal but that doesn't stop us from making the drive.
    Quentin and Jordan were guiding a Little Creek ride Sunday and Furrykid was showing off Grafton Mesa. Would've loved to tag along on either (or both) of those rides but had to get back Saturday night.

Seems hard to believe people don't know about St. George/Hurricane riding. I think it's every bit as good as Sedona and Moab and just as scenic, especially if you take in some hikes in Zion.

I think a lot of the FFTF folks come from the Front Range anxious to get out of the snow in the Spring and it's pretty close for them. But I think they've done a great job in promoting it too. Hurricane Fest should continue to grow I would think.

www.stuckinthespokes.com