Hurricane Cliffs trails in the rain?- Mtbr.com
    I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Hurricane Cliffs trails in the rain?

Just wondering if the soil there turns to gumbo with some wetness. Coming in to town next week and it is calling for 30% chance of rain. Planning on the Hurricane/Gould/JEM loop.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes very muddy

I don't want to endorse riding trails in the rain cause it damages them badly. The best places to ride in the rain are the roads. If you must ride a trail Paradise Canyon and Church rocks are alot of slickrock and can be ridden pretty well when its raining. Avoid the racecourse, bear claw poppy area if its been wet as it gets super messy.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    I don't want to endorse riding trails in the rain cause it damages them badly. The best places to ride in the rain are the roads. If you must ride a trail Paradise Canyon and Church rocks are alot of slickrock and can be ridden pretty well when its raining. Avoid the racecourse, bear claw poppy area if its been wet as it gets super messy.

Not true of some trails. Depends on the mix of the soil. In any case, I will assume you mean this applies to the soil on these trails.

Thanks.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    I would just head up to Gooseberry if it's that wet out. The bits of singletrack in between slickrock doesn't get too muddy-being decomposed Shinarump sandstone. Not much clay in it, as opposed to JEM which is down in the Moenkopi mudstone. The road to the TH will be worse part.

NMBP
    The JEM will handle a little moisture. Everything is so dry right now that all the trails will be ridable if wet. Now if we get sustained moisture JEM turns to glop. Like Pedalfaraway said, Church Rocks (Prospector) and Paradise are the best bets for wet rides. Goose handles the wet very well, however the road doesn't.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

Members who have read this thread: 0