Hurricane Camping- Mtbr.com
    "I want it now!"

Hurricane Camping

Hi. We are traveling to Hurricane to check out your riding in early April. Looking for camping suggestions. We have a truck camper with a trailer and 5 dogs. So...looking for an area that is accessible with truck yet remote enough for the critters to roam. Any suggestions?

Please don't yell at me and tell me to buy a map. I plan on doing that, just looking for local suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, did Over the Edge in Hurricane close? I can't get the link on their website to come up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

5 dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    Hi. We are traveling to Hurricane to check out your riding in early April. Looking for camping suggestions. We have a truck camper with a trailer and 5 dogs. So...looking for an area that is accessible with truck yet remote enough for the critters to roam. Any suggestions?

Please don't yell at me and tell me to buy a map. I plan on doing that, just looking for local suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

BTW, did Over the Edge in Hurricane close? I can't get the link on their website to come up.
    Yikes I like dogs and all but five? Do they really enjoy these trips as much as you do? Anyhoo, I'd like to find out the same info you're seeking so hopefully those who know will respond.
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Boondocking? You can always camp out at Gooseberry or Little Creek. Nearer to town, I see alot of folks 'parked' off of the myriad dirt roads around, but don't know how exactly legal that is. There's a nice basic campground at Red Cliffs, and Sand Hollow/Snow Canyon campgrounds have showers.

And Over the Edge is still open, you just have to call them.

"I want it now!"
    QUOTE=xcguy]Yikes I like dogs and all but five? Do they really enjoy these trips as much as you do? Anyhoo, I'd like to find out the same info you're seeking so hopefully those who know will respond.[/QUOTE]

Yup, 5 dogs. And yes, they love the camper. They don't ride with us though. Hey XC guy, aren't you from CO?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruca Salt
    QUOTE=xcguy]Yikes I like dogs and all but five? Do they really enjoy these trips as much as you do? Anyhoo, I'd like to find out the same info you're seeking so hopefully those who know will respond.
    Yup, 5 dogs. And yes, they love the camper. They don't ride with us though. Hey XC guy, aren't you from CO?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I am. The only reason I ask about your five pooches is I read another thread about "should I take my dogs to Moab" or something like that and replies were from "no way, they'll never enjoy it" to "I used to till I finally started leaving them at home because it was too hot for them, they really didn't like running with me on the hot trails etc etc". I would just think having all of them on a vacation like you're planning would be more about managing your traveling kennel than riding. Maybe that's the point of this trip? I'm sure you know what you're doing so...have a great time!
    Who's in charge, the thinker or the thought?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    bet you'd have trouble with 5 dogs on the loose at sand hollow and snow canyon campgrounds where they have rangers stationed. Maybe red cliffs but I'd say your still not very remote. Sorry haven't really camped that much in the Hurricane area to really suggest a place. I

Really I am that slow
    OTE just doesn't have the shop site up yet

You can camp up on gooseberry on the south rim a few spots just west of the fist pit tolet you see. right on the south rim....

bring you own wood and its free and doggies shouldn't be a problem
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Members who have read this thread: 0