Hurricane area rides - help me plan Feb 2-6...- Mtbr.com
    Loser

Hurricane area rides - help me plan Feb 2-6...

My wife and I will be out in the Hurricane/Sprindale/St. George area Feb 2-6th. As a reference point - I ride a 6x6 FR/AM machine and my wife has a 5x5 XC bike that we ride out here in CT. The riding is technical with a lot of rocks and roots. The terrain is not particularly tall, but there are a lot of shorter, steep hills.

I know Gooseberry is a "must do" but that's dependent on the road and weather conditions. I'm really looking for longish rides (say 15-20 miles) where we can head out and spend some time cruising (not hammering unfortunately) around. I have tentative plans to rent bikes from Mountain Bike Buddies, who is also going to shuttle us around, if necessary.

Any ideas on trails we should hit? Local guides would be great, but my wife is not very fast, she's good at the non-threatening technical stuff, but speed is just not her forte. I've done a lot of on line research but all the options are making my head spin.

I saw the other thread on where to stay, so maybe we'll stay in Hurricane. I could use some suggestions on hotels too.

John

JSM
    mtbr member
    I have stayed in both the Super 8 and Days Inn in Hurricane. I prefer Super 8. In November payed $33.99 per night. They had make your own waffles, Juices and coffee.

mtbr member
    Here's my must do list:

1. Gooseberry Mesa
    2. Gould's Rim to JEM to Hurricane Rim loop
    3. Bear Claw Poppy out and back then Stucki Springs to complete the loop.
    4. If you've got a good map and some route-finding skills (Or a guide)... Little Creek Mesa
    5. Broken Mesa Rim
    6. Slickrock Swamp

I haven't ridden them yet but The Barrels and Barrel Roll are also supposed to be good options in the Green Valley area.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Loser

Thanks!

Thanks for the info so far... highly appreciated!

John

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Gooseberry is a blast on anything from big bikes to rigid singlespeeds. Definitely hit that trail system. I personally find the Hurricane Rim/Goulds/JEM trail to be a little monotonous, especially on a big FR bike, but the scenery is nice enough and it's a long loop.

Do yourself a favor. Stay in Springdale. The extra bit of driving/expense will be made up for by the fact that Springdale is a pleasant place to visit and your non-riding time will be sweeter. Hurricane is not the most interesting place to hang out for out-of-towners.

My wife and I will be there that weekend and riding Gooseberry Mesa on Saturday, maybe we'll see you out there!

JMH

Quote Originally Posted by Jisch
    My wife and I will be out in the Hurricane/Sprindale/St. George area Feb 2-6th. As a reference point - I ride a 6x6 FR/AM machine and my wife has a 5x5 XC bike that we ride out here in CT. The riding is technical with a lot of rocks and roots. The terrain is not particularly tall, but there are a lot of shorter, steep hills.

I know Gooseberry is a "must do" but that's dependent on the road and weather conditions. I'm really looking for longish rides (say 15-20 miles) where we can head out and spend some time cruising (not hammering unfortunately) around. I have tentative plans to rent bikes from Mountain Bike Buddies, who is also going to shuttle us around, if necessary.

Any ideas on trails we should hit? Local guides would be great, but my wife is not very fast, she's good at the non-threatening technical stuff, but speed is just not her forte. I've done a lot of on line research but all the options are making my head spin.

I saw the other thread on where to stay, so maybe we'll stay in Hurricane. I could use some suggestions on hotels too.

John

mtbr member
    May 2004
    We went last year in March. I'm really thankful I chose to stay in Springdale. Did 3 nights at http://www.cliffroselodge.com/ nothing too fancy but nice location near park entrance and a number of nice restaurants. Went for a short hike each afternoon in Zion after the day's ride. I really liked the Bearclaw/Stucki loop which we just picked at random. I wish we had been able to do Little Creek but weather closed in, snowed, and flushed us out of the pocket back to Bootleg/Cottonwood

Dan from MA

Loser

Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Mark from MBB did a great job. I don't want to sound like a shill for him, but his service really hit the sweet spot for my wife and I.

Some pictures of our trip are up over in Passion:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=268092

John

John, sounds like ya'll had an awesome time, well done.

I'd humbly suggest a return trip in summer, to the north and east there's stuff that's just as good hiding under the snow right now. Hiking the Narrows, Subway, and more from there are all also on the life list.

Loser

Great!

I'm not much good in the heat, but I'd love to bring the kids out when they are out of school. Sounds like a good deal. I'm reading "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" right now, further stoking my interest in spending more time out in UT.

John

Members who have read this thread: 0