How's the road to Gooseberry?- Mtbr.com
    kAZ
    mtbr member

How's the road to Gooseberry?

Seems I've read that the road to Gooseberry Mesa is pretty rough. Will an Astro van make it?

Also, what's the best LBS in St. George to get the low down and a map? One previous report here said that the utahmountainbiking.com map was a bit short on usefulness.

Not sure when I'd ride (might not be able to also), but I'll be in the area this weekend. Looking at either Sunday 5/26 or Monday 5/27. I'd love to hook up with any others, as I'll be riding solo otherwise.

Kevin

Brass Nipples!
    A van should be fine. The road gets really muddy after a drenching rain, but we haven't had any significant rain in a few weeks now. There will be some ruts, but nothing that should stop you.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    A van should be fine. The road gets really muddy after a drenching rain, but we haven't had any significant rain in a few weeks now. There will be some ruts, but nothing that should stop you.
    Aight. Thanks.

Brass Nipples!
    Sorry, I didn't answer both questions at the same time. Any of the S.G. or Springdale bike shops should be able to help with instructions. I go to Bicycles Unlimited on 100 S. and 100 E. in St. George, but they're all good.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    Super. Thanks. It's looking like Monday morning will come together for me. Looking forward to it.

kAZ
    mtbr member
    I'll just follow up here for the benefit of others who have similar questions.

Bicycles Unlimited only had printouts of the utahmountainbiking.com map and topo maps. Red Rock Bicycle had the detailed Gooseberry Mesa trail map.

The directions to GM, both on utahmountainbiking.com and on the map I got from Red Rock were good. One small nit is that the sign off of the 59 says "Scenic Backway", not "Scenic Byway"; but it's obvious where to turn.

The dirt road off of the 59 was no problem at all, but it was obvious that if it were wet it would probably be impassable for anything but a 4WD.

At the pit toilet there is a good sign and map and it's obvious where to go from there. However, the road gets much worse from there; it's about 1 mile from there to the trailhead. My Astro van made it with no problems, but it was slow going. Low clearance cars might want to park there at the pit toilet, as it's only a mile to the trailhead, but I thought is was better to drive as the parking area at the trailhead is well-developed and expansive while the pit toilet area is not really set up for parking.

The trails are well-marked. As some of the reviews note, without the white dots on the slickrock it would be impossible to figure out where to go, but the dots are easy to follow and when you're off the slickrock it's easy to follow the trails.

I wanted to scout out as much as possible, so I pushed along fairly steadily. I went S.Rim, up Hidden Canyon, up and over on N.Rim, did Yellow, out to the point, back on S.Rim to the road, up the road to the central road, and then back to the parking lot via the Practice Loop. This was 14.8 miles and took me 3 hours. If I had more time I would have liked to have hit the parts of N.Rim I missed and maybe picked up Windmill and the other half of the Practice Loop. I reckon I could have got all of that in in about 4-5 hours, but people were waiting on me. Alas.

At any rate, super-fun ride.

The Sentinel

Y'all come back now, hear?

en em
    Sworn to avenge, condemned to hell