Howdy, moab trail selection help- Mtbr.com
    Powered by ice cream.

Howdy, moab trail selection help

Hello to the Utah forum.

I was wondering if y'all could give me some advice on selecting trails for my upcoming Utah MTB vacation with my best friend. We will have 2 days near Bryce canyon, and 3 days in Moab. I have a tentative schedule to follow. All these trails are basically from guide books and web sites, but I wanted local advice. Let me know if there are any other trails we should consider, or if we might be biting off too much in any one day. We are both fit guys in our thirties, and experienced bikers on solid equipment.

Oct 2: arrive in Springdale, Virgin river Rim trail
    Oct 3: Gooseberry Mesa in the am, drive to Moab in the afternoon
    Oct 4: Slickrock in am, Amasa Back in pm
    Oct 5: Porcupine rim am, (insert your trail suggestion here for pm) ??? Or is porcupine enough for one day???
    Oct 6: Gold bar rim to Portal trail in am, then drive back to AZ in the evening.

I'd appreciate any helpful advice you can give me. I think we can fit in one more ride in the afternoon on the 5th, but don't know what to do. Obviously, we are hitting all the "big name" rides, mainly because neither of us have ever been to Utah to ride before.

Thanks,

Eric

Brass Nipples!

Lots of choices.

Quote Originally Posted by enelnelson
    Hello to the Utah forum.

I was wondering if y'all could give me some advice on selecting trails for my upcoming Utah MTB vacation with my best friend. We will have 2 days near Bryce canyon, and 3 days in Moab. I have a tentative schedule to follow. All these trails are basically from guide books and web sites, but I wanted local advice. Let me know if there are any other trails we should consider, or if we might be biting off too much in any one day. We are both fit guys in our thirties, and experienced bikers on solid equipment.

Oct 2: arrive in Springdale, Virgin river Rim trail
    Oct 3: Gooseberry Mesa in the am, drive to Moab in the afternoon
    Oct 5: Porcupine rim am, (insert your trail suggestion here for pm) ??? Or is porcupine enough for one day???
    Oct 6: Gold bar rim to Portal trail in am, then drive back to AZ in the evening.

I'd appreciate any helpful advice you can give me. I think we can fit in one more ride in the afternoon on the 5th, but don't know what to do. Obviously, we are hitting all the "big name" rides, mainly because neither of us have ever been to Utah to ride before.

Thanks,

Eric
    Gooseberry is very close to Springdale and the VRR is farther away and more on your way to Moab. You might want to reverse the order of those two. If you do Porcupine as a loop, not a shuttle, it's a long ride. The climb is pretty boring with (usually) loose sand. If you shuttle, you'd probably have the energy for an evening ride if you're trying to do as much as you can.

You could do the 24H of Moab course at Behind the Rocks. It's interesting just to see what the course looks like, but it does have lots of sand and isn't too interesting technically. The Moab Rim with or without the Hidden Canyon is farily interesting. I have a soft spot for Poison Spider to Portal as it was my first ride in Moab, but others don't like it because of the sand. The arch at the top of the Mesa and the view across to the Moab Rim are pretty cool. There are also some fun short hikes in Arches or a drive to Canyonlands or Dead Horse Point if you want a little break from hiding.

I haven't done Gold Bar to Portal in many years, but markings were pretty nonexistant, and a GPS really helped on that ride. Take plenty of water and a cell phone.

Good luck. Any of the local bike shops can help with ride suggestions, too.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Dr. Pepper drinker

Sounds like a good first trip....

I think you've picked the right trails for a first trip to Moab, you'll probably hear a lot of different opinions about Slickrock but you really have to do it at least once and personally, I've really enjoyed it, it's a really unique riding experience. If you've never been to Moab before (you mentioned first riding trip in the area) I'd highly recommend going to Arches. I've been there 4 times and it never gets old (at least to me). Last trip we did Porc early one morning, got lunch and then went to Arches and did the hike to Delicate Arch for sunset, it made for a really nice break in a long trip of riding. Best advice I could give is to really enjoy your experience, stay flexible with your schedule, and don't try to cram to much into one trip, I'd be willing to bet you'll be pulling a return trip in the near future. Seems that every year we go we're planning the following years trip before we even leave town.

mtbr member
    My 2 cents would be to start with Gooseberry first by taking the road from Fredonia. Drop down to Springdale and do Red Canyon (Cassidy trail and Thunder Mountain) instead of Virgin Rim. From there its at least a 5 hour drive to Moab by taking Hwy 12 to Hanksville and up to 70. As for Moab, the options are endless but Gold Bar Rim is indeed an awesome ride. But its a long one without a shuttle. A long grind up a busy highway. Poison Spider is easier as a loop and you can avoid just about all of the sand by contouring around on the slickrock to the short section of jeep road up to the southern part of Gold Bar Rim. Porcupine without a shuttle is plenty for one day for most mortals.

If it was me and you only had 5 days with travel (from Phoenix?) I'd pick one place or the other so you had some time to explore places like the National Parks or the innumerable slot canyons in either area. Southwest and Southeast Utah are not as close to each other as they seem-there's a pretty big lake in the way.

Powered by ice cream.

Thanks everyone

I appreciate the comments.

As far as Springdale goes, we have a guided tour of the Virgin rim scheduled for that day, so I can't really change the order of things. Everything else, we are self guiding.

I have heard from some folks that Poison Spider is a drag, that is why we were planning the Gold bar rim. A loop would be nicer though.

Unfortunately, this will be a fast trip. I look at it as "fact finding" I know I will be back, and will probably focus on just one area. I am from Prescott, and my friend is from Kentucky, and has never been to Utah, so I want to show him around a little.

As far as the big lake and hole between UT and AZ goes, we will be hiking the Grand Canyon on the last day of the trip as a finale.

mtbr member
    Well, Virgin Rim is indeed cool. It should have your Kentucky friend sucking wind. A couple of the overlooks are as awesome as Bryce and you can see out over Zion. And your probable route to Moab (hwy12?) passes through some amazing country. You really can't go wrong wherever you go. More singletrack in sw Utah and more canyon/slickrock riding in se Utah.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by enelnelson
    I'd appreciate any helpful advice you can give me. I think we can fit in one more ride in the afternoon on the 5th, but don't know what to do.
    I've heard good things about the Sovereign Singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Be careful trying to connect Goldbar to Portal

I got lost up on Goldbar a couple of years ago and had a very tedious time trying to retrace my way back down Goldbar after losing site of the painted squares multilple times. This is after sucessfully conncecting Goldbar to Poison Spider previously.

Goldbar is still my second favorite Moab ride after Porcupine Rim.

Have fun!!!

Aug 2003

Your ambitous

You said:

One thing a lot of people don't realize when the come to Moab is how physically challenging the rides are. You've picked some of the most strengeous trails you'll probably ever ride. If you ride Slickrock and Amassa in the same day -- then follow it up the next day and ride Porcupine Rim and another ride in the same day Moab ride -- I will take my hat off to you.

Trust me, what you say is easier said than done.