How many folks ACTUALLY go out and do trail maintenance?- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

Bonking ... not feelin' well How many folks ACTUALLY go out and do trail maintenance?

I've always found it to be a little rewarding; knowing I helped build or clean-up/maintain the local trails I ride--no matter where I've lived. In NJ, the turn-outs were HUGE. Several local clubs would join in; followed by beer and brats...

My son and I went out yesterday to Mueller Park in Bountiful, to do trail maintenance with the Biker's Edge (bike shop/Kaysville) Trail Crew--yet there were only two other guys there besides the 2 bike shop employees. We groomed about 4 miles of that trail (which I've never ridden, but you bet your @ss I'm going back now...that trail is sweet!)

What gives? Can no one sacrifice a beautiful Saturday morning to maintain some singletrack? I really thought there would be a bigger turn-out.

The shop was giving away $50 store credit for volunteering 4 hours for Christ's sake...

Oh well...we're doing Snow Basin trails next weekend with the same crew. And NO, we're NOT just in it for the schwag...

Later...

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this in UTAH. I've only lived here one year.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bike-wrench
    I've always found it to be a little rewarding; knowing I helped build or clean-up/maintain the local trails I ride--no matter where I've lived. In NJ, the turn-outs were HUGE. Several local clubs would join in; followed by beer and brats...

My son and I went out yesterday to Mueller Park in Bountiful, to do trail maintenance with the Biker's Edge (bike shop/Kaysville) Trail Crew--yet there were only two other guys there besides the 2 bike shop employees. We groomed about 4 miles of that trail (which I've never ridden, but you bet your @ss I'm going back now...that trail is sweet!)

What gives? Can no one sacrifice a beautiful Saturday morning to maintain some singletrack? I really thought there would be a bigger turn-out.

The shop was giving away $50 store credit for volunteering 4 hours for Christ's sake...

Oh well...we're doing Snow Basin trails next weekend with the same crew. And NO, we're NOT just in it for the schwag...

Later...

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this in UTAH. I've only lived here one year.

i did remove deadfall whenever possible and even armored several wet spots on Flying Dog with tablerock last spring this year. As far as I know that armor has been there since. I guess the actual people who do the maintence thought it should stay.

Never got a chance to go to a organized day in utah though. have done them before in Pa.

Waiting for Godot
    i cut/clear about 40% of the fallen trees in millcreek area. mostly in the upper and less traveled trails. i hike and ride alot. when i see a tree down on the trail that makes it impassable or dangerous i go back the next day and (with various hand saws) cut the path clear.

after the first snowmelt and late fall before the heavy snow, i do alot of prunning back overgrown bushes and twigs.
    Out riding, leave a message

Just a punk in the street
    I do some on almost every ride I do. Yesterday I spent about an hour and a half cutting a pretty good sized downed tree out on the Jardine Juniper trail up Logan Canyon. In fact this year alone on this trail I have cut around 10 downed trees out. I only have one more to go. Just in time for winter to throw some more down.

I got tired of riding around saying to myself..."somebody should clear that out". I decided to become "somebody". So besides getting out and riding, having fun, getting some exercises, I come home with a warm fuzzy. If everyone carried these with them boy it would sure help out.

I carry these two saws in my Camelbak with me all the time.

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UM...ocket+chainsaw

NMBP
    My folding saw has come out on every ride I've been on since mid May. We have traditional trail days here in southwestern Utah, but with so many trails that need work, it's hard to get all the necessary work done.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

ride more.
    Nov 2004

I would guess that I have put over 100 hours into trail maintenance/construction this summer alone. This Saturday, I was out for over 4 hours with one other person doing work. There are lots of opportunties for trail work. I know that the UT county guys put significant time into AF canyon a few weeks ago.

Thanks for all your work in Mueller. Still havent ridden there, but am planning on it this fall.

Aug 2007

Smile

Well good...so we're NOT alone.

At least a lot of bikers AND hikers were saying "thank you, good job!" to us while we were there. At least people appreciate it...

Now if only we could get the "horsie" people out there...In all my years I've never seen horsie people maintaining trails...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've participated in some of the REI trail maintenance events. Last time was up on the pipeline trail. About 50 vols showed up, got a free REI tee-shirt - nice OBX type, and a lit b-fast. We worked about 3 hours under the direction of a former park service trail maint expert.

We used various hand-tools and reshaped the trail, improved run-off, cleared brush, etc. This event, as well as a visit to the IMBA web site, greatly increased my trailbuilding knowledge, which I've used on a couple of my favorite trails - It's helped me a appreciate a well-built trail, and wish more trails were like this.

I'd say a good time was had by all. Thanks to REI and their sponsors for events like this.

-SM

banned

Taking Initative

It is great to read about riders out doing trail maintenance on their own. In California and Arizona the riders aren't always happy that people go out on their own to do trail improvements. It seems as though they want you to be part of some organized event rather than you just stopping when your out on a ride a fixing a problematic spot.

Seems like a lot more efficient to do the improvement when your there than wait for a work day. Besides not everyone wants to take off 4 to 5 hours on a Saturday or Sunday to do trail work, they usually want to be out riding with their buddies.

Like some of you, I like to do the work on my schedule, and if I put in 50 or more hours a year doing the improvements on my own I don't feel like I have to be part of an organized event.

Doc

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Maybe my perception is incorrect, but I think there are a lot more riders doing solo work here in Utah. Most of the guys I ride with spend several days each month clearing or building. With so many trails here I think it's an extremely good thing that so many subscribe to Last Child's DIY philosophy.

There are some guys like drboudreaux who never stop building. Talk with him about WAFTA, there are organized build days a few times each month before the snow flies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    my shop and a few others in the provo area have been out a few times with maybe 5 people each time a few times this year. the only problem is that most of the trails we're grooming are illegal so we've been told we'll be ticketed if we work on them. i understand where they're coming from but it just kinda sucks

biking is fun
    i try to do some trail work when i go out. sometimes we will take everything with us and work for a few hours then finish the ride. i definately want to go out more but with full time job and college it gets hard to even ride.
    most of the stuff i help work on is the more DH/FR style trails.

It gets annoying when people take some stuff out because some downtrees are fun when you stack some logs up to go over them or even build a bridge. i think its ok to clear down trees but it sucks when the ones that have been there all season that have been made into a fun obstacle get torn out to make it easier.

so in short, maintaining a trail is good, dumbing a trail down is not so good.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by climbingbubba
    It gets annoying when people take some stuff out because some downtrees are fun when you stack some logs up to go over them or even build a bridge. i think its ok to clear down trees but it sucks when the ones that have been there all season that have been made into a fun obstacle get torn out to make it easier.

so in short, maintaining a trail is good, dumbing a trail down is not so good.
    bubba:

You make a good point about dumbing down a trail after someone has taken the time to make it rideable. I am curious as to how rideable your original fix was. What % of the people who rode the fix could clean it? If 75% (give or take) or more can clean it the majority of time I think that kind of fix is pretty cool.

If only 25% can clean it, and I am one of the 25%, I would probably try and do some work on it to make it more rideable.

I like the idea of making downed trees into a jump or rollable feature. If you need ATV access you might have to have a way aound the downed tree for that access, otherwise it may eventually get removed for ATV access.

I have built several downed tree jumps on Burro Pass, over the years, that I thought were pretty cool, but most of them eventually get cut out by the Forest Service during their normal maintenance schedule. If one of them stays as a optional, I get a lot of satisfaction out of that.

Doc

biking is fun
    the one that comes to mind was on the mormon trail, really fun big down tree with logs stacked up and down it. it was easy for anyone who tried but i could see how it looked a little sketchy to some. there were also 1 or 2 other trees that had fallen late last season that we had some fun stuff planned but they were gone by the time we got back. the entire trail has stuff over the down trees, one ladder bridge that goes a good 4 feet up and over and another with a plank for jumping it. we were going to build a wide bridge over on one side and then a make it so an optional break off would then turn down the log and have a skinny coming down back to the trail.
    but all of them are gone now so oh well.

you talking about burro in moab? we will be down in a few weeks, we have only ridden from hazard down so we are going to try and do burro down this time. can't wait, ill look for your work

Members who have read this thread: 0