how far is monticello? really?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

how far is monticello? really?

there are some nice lodging options in Monticello and we were wondering how far it really is ti drive up to the whole enchilada and the moab proper trails. if its an hour....forget it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    maps.google.com

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    says one hour but you know....i prefer to deal with humans....for the real deal.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    Yep, its a solid hour. Probably close to 2 to get you to the top of the Enchilada shuttle. A good chunk of Moab's riding is north of town, so add another 15-20 minutes at least to actually get to any trails.
    Staying in Monticello to ride in Moab would be silly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by flowtron View Post
    Yep, its a solid hour. Probably close to 2 to get you to the top of the Enchilada shuttle. A good chunk of Moab's riding is north of town, so add another 15-20 minutes at least to actually get to any trails.
    Staying in Monticello to ride in Moab would be silly.
    If you *must* stay in a hotel, and are short on cash, I can see staying in Monticello. Hotels in Moab are, for the most part, an embarrassing rip off in the spring and fall high seasons. $240 a night for the Holiday Inn for example. I stayed in a Hyatt in San Francisco for less than that a few month ago.

Sure, it is what the market will bear, but if you can save $500 on a three night stay by driving an hour each way, I'm in.

I camp for the most part so I don't have the issue, but I get that some people aren't campers.

formerly shabadu
    Nov 2006
    If you gotta stay in Monticello to ride in Moab...it's time to go somewhere else.

mtbr member
    What flowtron said^^^. That, and it's not worth the risk to make up the time driving fast. That stretch is heavily patrolled.

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    I had a nice log cabin for $35 / night at the Lazy Lizard Hostel in Moab. A couple of weeks ago I stayed in the ACT Campground rooms for $63. For both you walk to the common bathrooms. They weren't Best Western but not bad. Cozy, comfortable, and the bathrooms are clean.

Usually I stay in the econo cabins at Moab Valley RV Resort but the new owner has jacked the prices way up for everything including tent sites. $43 / night for a tent site with no electricity. $98 for cabins that were $63.

I was going to camp more but with night temps in the 30's I didn't feel like shivering in the dark. Besides, I like WiFi in the evening.

Moab needs more cheap lodging but it is the high end stuff that is being built. Some company bought the Oasis Campground north of town, ripped out the trees and lawn, and planting a hotel there.

Green River is another cheap lodging option with faster access to North Klondike, etc. Most of that trip would be at 65 - 80 mph and I rarely see cops until south of 313.
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    All good here peeps. Thanks for the real deal. We have the cabins in moab that we stayed in last time all set. Was just curious. Agree with the sentiment of the poster about the lack of decent lodging in moab in general....for us we like to get away form the hotels when we come out there. We managed this but the options are pretty limited!

Yeti SB95c
    Jun 2004
    Which cabins?
    MTB blog for US West trails: http://jimprestonmtb.com. Trail analysis videos, bike and component reviews, other stuff.