How to camp and ride MOAB?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

How to camp and ride MOAB?

Some buddies and I are looking to drop by MOAB for a few days of riding. I think we owe it to our selves to do slickrock trail and Porcupine trails. my consern is camping, where would be the best place to camp that would give us good access to those trails, bouldering, and possilby slot canyoneering? It seems like Kane Creek camp ground might be a good option. The whole sandflats camp ground things seems promising, how does that area work? Also possible slot canyons the third day? What is the best way to experience the many facets of MOAB, and from where? Arches National Monument, what say you?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Id just camp in the campgrounds on the way to slickrock, you should find some and it is great. i usually climb at wall street so camping out by the river is good too. once all the sites were full so my buddies and i camped at the lyons park for free! hahaha

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Sand Flats

Sand Flats has the best proximity to Porc and Slickrock. You have to pay up front at the entry gate, everything is first come first served. There is some cool canyoneering south of Sand Flats in the Wilderness Study area, although "slot canyons" are more a Bryce/Zion/Canyonlands Maze thing than Moab. Moab is more fin running and canyon hiking area. Know what you are doing before you go anywhere off the beaten path. It is really easy to get lost. If your GPS dies, or you lose your map, you might be toast.

mtbr member

Showers are good

I'm not a fan of riding/climbing for 3-5 days straight without a shower, so I always stick to the established campgrounds in town. Hot tubs are nice after a good ride too.
    This space for rent.

occasionally good
    I always camp in the desert, but come into town on occasion and pay $5 to one of the campgrounds to use their shower facilities.

There's exceptional climbing everywhere you look in Moab. Assuming you climb trad - not much sport climbing, percentage-wise. High concentration of fun stuff close to town on Wall Street. There are also a bunch of routes (some sport routes) out Kane Canyon. If you want the full-on Moab climbing experience head for Fischer Towers or out to Indian Creek. If you can't lead trad you can hire an (exceptional) guide at Moab Desert Adventures, www.moabdesertadventures.com.
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

mtbr member
    Sand Flats is truely the easiest place to camp, and you will not have to pay additional access for Slickrock or Porcupine. It's like $8/car/night and you can't beat the sunsets. You can shower right outside the access gate at Lionshead Campground for $5. After you really get to know Moab you will find other killer spots to camp that are off the beaten path(usually require 4x4). Anything within the realm of Moab is closeby anyway not much travel needed. Wall Street is the only climbing I've done near Moab. I'm am not a trad climber. I found it very run-out 2-5 bolt tops, and you don't want to take a whipper on those sandstone bolts either. There is a famous bouldering spot on Hiway 128 near Big Bend as well. Other killer rides in Moab are Amasa Back and Sovereign. Have fun Moab rocks in the spring, but you will find it busiest then too. Ariving on a Friday night in the spring is not a good time to try to find a campspot if you are a newbie. And check out ChiliePepper bike shop if you need any bike related services (I am not affiliated, just found them very helpful). Good luck.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    This is an older thread, but I'm also looking for campground suggestions.

Will be staying in a full size van, so don't need hook ups or anything, but a post ride shower is mandatory. Quiet is good to, preferably where you aren't parked next to a RV with a generator that runs all night.

Which campground would you choose?

locked - time out
    SandFlats. Shower at lions onthe way up to the gate. you'll see it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Also great (used to be free but now just really cheap) spots on both sides of the Colorado River going west; either on the north side (towards Poison Spider) or on the south side (towards Amasaback - and much closer to town).

Canyonlands campground is in the middle of town near everything & lots of bikers camping there

I believe that Poison Spider bike shop also has showers available for a small fee.

Have fun!!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    This is an older thread, but I'm also looking for campground suggestions.

Will be staying in a full size van, so don't need hook ups or anything, but a post ride shower is mandatory. Quiet is good to, preferably where you aren't parked next to a RV with a generator that runs all night.

Which campground would you choose?

i'll agree with the others here; sand flats + showering at the spot on the way up the road back to camp, or on the way into town eat. or any of a half dozen other spots in town with showers.

i'll be up there the 4th-9th of next month, camping and doing just that.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Members who have read this thread: 0